No announcement yet.

Linux penguin -- Best, comment, rage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Linux penguin -- Best, comment, rage.

Originally posted by lti View Post
    Apparently Windows 10 has two levels of drive encryption. This laptop has "device encryption" turned on (but not fully set up because I'm not using a Microsoft account), but BitLocker is off.
    Yes, there are two, it seems you currently aren't using any though.

Device encryption is available on all versions of Windows, signing in with a Microsoft account means your key is uploaded automatically to your one drive.

Bitlocker is only on the Pro, Enterprise and Education version of windows, it allows for various configurations with the key being able to be stored in Active Directory, or printed out.

Comment

Apparently Windows 10 has two levels of drive encryption. This laptop has "device encryption" turned on (but not fully set up because I'm not using a Microsoft account), but BitLocker is off.

Now I'm wondering if I should actually dual-boot one of my computers so I can start looking at the video capture stuff again. Maybe I need to learn how to write my own capture software since I haven't been able to get both video and audio captured properly at the same time. I've tried asking around, and all I get is screen recorders (which can't capture video from any capture cards at all) or software that only works with UVC devices (like webcams). OBS can capture video, but the audio is broken. I can also record audio using Audacity, and it comes out just as good as Windows.
      As far as video capture goes, use *nix. You'll need to use v4l2-ctl to control the capture hardware (mainly setting the input after booting up), but anything past that is just catting /dev/video0 to a file, and then post-processing.
      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
        I never set up either, but there's still a "Turn off" button for device encryption.

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
        As far as video capture goes, use *nix. You'll need to use v4l2-ctl to control the capture hardware (mainly setting the input after booting up), but anything past that is just catting /dev/video0 to a file, and then post-processing.
        I do have to use v4l2-ctl to unmute the audio before recording. I never tried to cat /dev/video0 somewhere, but considering that I was capturing full 6-hour EP mode T120 tapes for a while, having some kind of compression (a lossless codec like FFV1 or huffyuv) would be nice. I've already filled my 1TB SSD a few times.

Comment

You'll have to capture from /dev/video0 and run that through a re-encoder that can run at real-time, then. If the system can't keep up with that, then you'll have to run batches of videos through post-processing.
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

It's only 720x480 (interlaced), so even the horrible i3-2330M in that Toshiba laptop could handle it. The problem with it was that something related to USB degraded, so it couldn't sustain the bandwidth required to capture video (no problems with high CPU or disk activity, and even copying files to an external hard drive only went at 15MB/s).

The FFmpeg documentation says it can take /dev/video0 as an input source and encode to FFV1 or HuffYUV, but having a GUI would be nice. If I capture in higher resolutions, I can also encode with Quick Sync or NVENC with the right Linux graphics drivers (I obviously won't be capturing lossless 1080p 60fps video with 1TB of storage).
            Last edited by lti; 05-23-2023, 10:18 AM.

Comment

FFmpeg does capture, but the audio is about 1.5 seconds out of sync. Maybe I shouldn't use a PulseAudio source for the audio (/dev/video0 does not contain audio - the audio on the capture device shows up as a line-in, but with an extra mute control only accessible through v4lctl). Quality seems reasonable so far, but it seems like the video is offset vertically (three of the data lines are visible at the top).

I should start a separate thread for the video capture stuff. It has been spread across multiple threads.

Comment

I finally turned device encryption off, and now Linux can access the drive. Decrypting the drive within fully booted Windows was a little scary, but I have backups (and didn't need them). I still don't know why it would be turned on without a Microsoft account.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm getting a lot more interested in Linux with how broken Microsoft software is becoming, but I still don't think I can switch over entirely due to software support.

Comment

I finally turned device encryption off, and now Linux can access the drive. Decrypting the drive within fully booted Windows was a little scary, but I have backups (and didn't need them). I still don't know why it would be turned on without a Microsoft account.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm getting a lot more interested in Linux with how broken Microsoft software is becoming, but I still don't think I can switch over entirely due to software support.
                  its easy to dual boot and choose at startup .. when i first went to linux ubuntu i did a virus scan of the hard drive when booted into ubuntu .it told me windows was a virus so i deleted it ..its actually true believe it or not .

Comment

I was dual-booting the Toshiba laptop I had. I don't remember which OS I used the most, but Windows was unusable for web browsing due to a lack of RAM. I was also getting higher CPU usage under Windows while watching video (before I ran out of RAM), even though I didn't have the right drivers to use hardware video decoding under Linux.

I still haven't committed to installing Linux on one of my good computers yet (or even choosing a distro). I've been installing Linux on shitty computers, but anything decent is running Windows only.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post

Device encryption is available on all versions of Windows, signing in with a Microsoft account means your key is uploaded automatically to your one drive.

Bitlocker is only on the Pro, Enterprise and Education version of windows, it allows for various configurations with the key being able to be stored in Active Directory, or printed out.
                      Interesting. I have been trying to upgrade a laptop with 10 Pro (21h2) for a guy; bitlocker is off....however when I attempt to clone the drive, it says it encrypted with bitlocker and can not be read/cloned. How does one kill this 'other level'? Never encountered it before.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        Interesting. I have been trying to upgrade a laptop with 10 Pro (21h2) for a guy; bitlocker is off....however when I attempt to clone the drive, it says it encrypted with bitlocker and can not be read/cloned. How does one kill this 'other level'? Never encountered it before.
                        Interesting, Schrodinger's encryption.
                        It would be helpful to know where it's saying it's enabled/disabled but maybe you need to be Administrator. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...intel-nuc.html

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          Settings > Update & Security > Device encryption

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-7925c2a3012d

That Microsoft article is mostly about BitLocker, but it does mention device encryption at the bottom. On my computer, the "Device encryption" tab disappeared after decryption finished because I'm using a local account. The scary part is that decryption happens within full Windows with Windows claiming that you can keep using the computer while it decrypts.
                          Last edited by lti; 07-09-2023, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X