Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshiba 50UL2063DB. Lines across the screen but I don’t believe it’s smashed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba 50UL2063DB. Lines across the screen but I don’t believe it’s smashed!

Hi again all.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here on this one. Picked it up from an old fellas house who apparently just sat with the TV running 16 hours a day 24/7.

It doesn't appear to be a smashed screen to me and there's no reports of damage so I'm wondering where it's best to start looking for the cause and possible repair.

The one thing I did notice is the fold in the cable onto the TCon. Is that the lvds cable I keep hearing about?

Hope the pictures below are clear. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files

Re: Toshiba 50UL2063DB. Lines across the screen but I don't believe it's smashed!

Ok so testing the cable from the main board to the T con.

I have continuity on pin 1 on MB through pins 1-8 on the T-con.

Before I continue to work my way through each pin on the Mb, is this normal? I would have thought looking at it that there is just a simple pin x to pin x configuration.

Do I have an unwanted short on some pins because of this fold on the ribbon cable?

Comment

Re: Toshiba 50UL2063DB. Lines across the screen but I don't believe it's smashed!

measure the contacts directly on the mainboard without the ribbon cable plugged in.
      If there is no contact, then measure the pins on the TCON against each other again. If the short only exists with the cable plugged in, then it is the cable and it should be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by An-klamm View Post
        measure the contacts directly on the mainboard without the ribbon cable plugged in.
        If there is no contact, then measure the pins on the TCON against each other again. If the short only exists with the cable plugged in, then it is the cable and it should be replaced.
        Ok maybe I never worded it properly. I have continuity on pin 1 on Mb to pins 1-8 on the tcon. And also on pin 2 Mb to pins 1-8 on the tcon. That continues to the case (continuity to pins 1-8 on the tcon). On and up to pin 8 from the main board.

I clearly wouldn't get any continuity at all if the ribbon cable wasn't plugged in would I!

But my question was should I have continuity across various pins on each board?

I've ordered a new TCon as that appears to be the most likely cause of the issue.

Comment

To rule out the ribbon cable, I would:
          Measure contacts 1-8 only on the mainboard against each other.
          Measure the contacts only on the TCON against each other.
          If the contacts on the mainboard are bridged and on the TCON as well, then it is most likely not a fault.

Comment

Ahhh yeah im with you. That makes sense. Will check them tomorrow night and let you know.

Comment

If you have a close look at your t-con board you will see that there are 8 pins connected together which are connected to the +12v and the F1 fuse
              Attached Files

Comment

Ok Rj so that means continuity on pins 1-8 on the tcon board should be expected yeah?

Should I also have the continuity onto the pins 1-8 on the Mb?

Any ideas what the issue with the lines could be?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                  If you have a close look at your t-con board you will see that there are 8 pins connected together which are connected to the +12v and the F1 fuse
                  I'm just working my way round this set again now and just wanted to ask you if you think it's worth persevering with? I can't seem to find anything obvious and have obviously ruled out the ribbon cable.

Is this looking like a bad screen and one for the compactor?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X