Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG OLED65C9PUA post Windex repair?

Hey,

A few months ago I had an issue with my C9 OLED involving some Windex in the screen. I sprayed some contact cleaner into the panel and noticed an immediate difference in the picture. I set the TV flat on a table and took it apart and sprayed some more into the panel from the back side of the TV and after waiting a few hours I tried turning it on and I got a perfect picture! I reassembled the TV and set it up and got a brief green-ish flash before it powered off again.

I did some googling and looked around for some other things to check and here's what I tried/noticed:

- Noticed some residue along the seam on the bottom of the panel. I sprayed some cleaner in it to clean it up, and more contact cleaner in the panel itself. This made no difference.

- Visually inspected all boards and disconnected/reconnected all connections. Didn't notice any problems.

- Power reset multiple times between everything I tried. No difference.

- Inspected the screen itself. I didn't notice any cracks or damage on it. I used a bright flashlight and covered every inch.

- After letting it sit for a few days I went through everything again and the TV managed to produce what appears to be a perfect picture, but also a garbled one: https://youtube.com/shorts/DG4h5zmpg0g?feature=share

- The t con board feels quite hot if I leave the set on for more than a few minutes

I would like to have a certain root cause before I take it out to be recycled. Anything else I can check? I will keep reading the forums here for a bit and record anything else I try.

Re: LG OLED65C9PUA post Windex repair?

Oh... looks like the liquid got to the panel and corroded the board or part of the panel itself, this is certainly a panel issue, unfortunately access to the panel boards or side tabs (if they exist on this model) is not realistic, would require taking a saw to the metal to do a visual inspection on the boards, or un-glueing the panel from the metal frame to inspect side tabs.

But you said few months ago? This increases the odds of some windex residue that stayed on the panel and did the job.

I also have this tv model and don't see how the liquid could've gotten to the boards, but I don't know about the metal edges, if there's some copper at the edge of the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Biruslapio View Post
      I also have this tv model and don't see how the liquid could've gotten to the boards, but I don't know about the metal edges, if there's some copper at the edge of the panel.
      under the metal cover at the bottom of the Module , there are just normal puffer boards with COFs like any other LCD,

Module self at the back of it. there are aluminum sheet to transfer the heat to chassis then reflector white sheet and black one mounted on it the OLED Cells.

spraying at the back will never go thru to Cells. but if it did on the edge of the metal cover then buffer boards will effected.

Comment

Are you guys thinking panel? In all my research so far I haven't found a case quite like mine. If the panel is indeed shot could it present the way it is now? I did spray some contact cleaner through the gaps in the panel as soon as I learned what happened, roughly 2-3 hours later before I put the TV in the corner of the room.

Last night I removed the t con and went over it with a multimeter and found a few ceramic caps that appear to have shorted. (Probing both ends of the caps show continuity) I think I would like to try replacing them to see if that makes a difference.

Also during my research I found a video of someone who made a video of separating the OLED panel from the frame. It looks like I might be able to do this myself if I am careful. While I'm not the world's best electrician I am pretty mechanically inclined. Perhaps I could even replace the back panel with a cnc milled one. I make large aluminum aerospace frames at work all the time. Worst case I could provide some pictures of exactly what happens if you clean a TV with Windex.

I also found a video of someone repairing those puffer boards by replacing some components on them.

Comment

as per yours video it show some kind of issue between T-CON and Module buffer boards.

the module clued with thin double side type by 4-5 line . no way to take it out with out broken it. bur if you take all boards / cable out side leave the panel solo with chassis .. and make Alcohol 99% bath and let it sitting in bath...all the type will mild and easy take it from chassis with suck cups.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
            as per yours video it show some kind of issue between T-CON and Module buffer boards.

the module clued with thin double side type by 4-5 line . no way to take it out with out broken it. bur if you take all boards / cable out side leave the panel solo with chassis .. and make Alcohol 99% bath and let it sitting in bath...all the type will mild and easy take it from chassis with suck cups.
            Interesting idea

Comment

Working...
            X