SilverStone UC01 USB Power Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SilverStone UC01 USB Power Adapter

Initially, it started to give random failures, 3 months ago, after which it stopped delivering current. In addition, there was some noise in it.
    After another month he died.
    I thought that some filter capacitor had found its way to the end, so I started doing some research and remembered that there is a really complete review on tomshardware:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/picture...tear-down.html
    So I started to take it apart, and upon very careful analysis I discovered that:
    1. the fixing silicone against shocks/vibrations was detached in some places;
    2. the central radiator was fixed in a single point, and that cracked the pcb, at the end of C7, a real delight...
    The rattling was now even more pronounced, but I couldn't identify where it was coming from.
    I loosened the screw from the mosfet attached to the central radiator, carefully unsoldered it from the only point of contact with the pcb and I was shocked! The coil in the picture moves freely under the radiator, the green insulating tape dampening much of the noise! There is no trace of silicone there!

Now, if I still opened it, I want to fix it. But I have some dilemmas:
    Can this coil be replaced with another one, which allows a much better fixation? Or is the coil custom calibrated for this pcb?
    Should I still use it, try extending those wires, insulating them with heat-shrinkable tubing and look for a safe method for fixing them on the pcb?
    I made continuity on the wires and they are in pairs, the coil windings are not "shot".
    Should I make a bridge at the end of C7 with the radiator fixing area? It would be needed to "put on the table", right?
    Two components abbreviation, SA1 and SA2, are printed on the pcb, can something be planted there, somehow?
    What other "upgrades" could I bring?
    The input capacitor is a commonplace Elite PF Series (Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor, General Purpose Electrolytic Capacitor)
    82uF, 450VDC; Ø18x40mm; Pitch: 7.5mm, Service life 2000h, Operating temperature: 25...105°C,
    "Case size" is Ø18x40mm & "Permissible rated ripple current: (mA rms) at 105 / 120Hz" has 200 mA rms value
    But I can't find the ESR value, to find a better replacement, although I suspect it is a low ESR...
    https://www.tme.eu/en/details/pf2w82...acitors/elite/

Any suggestions and help are welcome.
    Attached Files

Re: SilverStone UC01 USB Power Adapter

just pour some RTV silicon over the coil.
    or go oldschool and pour wax over it like old soviet radio's
    (but only if it runs cool)

Comment

Re: SilverStone UC01 USB Power Adapter

Time is killing me
      I solved it by extending the wire by giving up one winding of the coils, then I carefully soldered the wires and the aluminum radiator, then insulated with green foil, after which I carefully applied simple silicone.
      Because I found out that it was a simple filter coil...
      Problem solved successfully.
      Thanks for the suggestions

Comment

Working...
      X