Synology DS1520+ no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synology DS1520+ no power

I have a synology DS1520+ Here and just over a week ago when I tried to turn on the nas there was no power going to it, so I thought it was the power supply so I found a replacement (original power supply £80)

I received the power supply a couple of days ago and finally got 5minutes to myself to plug it in a and test it, but again no power going through, when I plug in the power supply the green led light on the power supply goes off, and when I disconnect it the green led comes back on?

Could this be the same issue that plagued the Synology DS1515+ models?

Re: Synology DS1520+ no power

sounds like something is shorted out.

Comment

stj is right, sounds like a short or something else drawing to much power, and the power supplies protection circuity is kicking in

Open it up and look for anything obvious. Then follow the power rails and start testing the transistors along that path and see if one of them failed. That was the issue with a amplifier I had that was doing the same thing.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.what you both said makes sense.

I have attached pictures of the whole brake down process on this nas, it has twice as many screws of a 1515+

Reason for so many pics is there is no real info on this model yet so thought it may help others down the line.

I can’t see anything out of place on either side of motherboard, my wife’s puppy managed to get a hold of my multimeter and so I need to get a replacement today hopefully otherwise I have to order 1.

Also I changed the bios battery last time as well
        Attached Files
        Last edited by H1ghl4nd3r; 05-30-2023, 03:37 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Comment

check that big diode - d10 first

Comment

Ahh this 1 highlighted, thought it was something else for a couple of minutes
            Attached Files
            Last edited by H1ghl4nd3r; 05-30-2023, 04:59 AM.

Comment

yes, that.
              i think it's across the power to protect from reverse polarity.

Comment

I managed to find a multimeter when I had to stop in B&Q for a new surge protector power supply, attached a pic of what I got.

Also the chip number is SK34C, there is a g03 in front of it but it could be batch number, I have found the data sheet for it here

https://datasheetspdf.com/datasheet/SK34C.html

Any idea what I should expect? as I'm going to strip it back down when I get a chance
                Attached Files
                Last edited by H1ghl4nd3r; 05-30-2023, 10:31 AM.

Comment

your just looking for something shorted.

Comment

Or resistors that are open / or way out of speck.

Comment

Thanks guys, I completed the test and thought it was better to video and show rather than try to explain it

I have uploaded the video of it here

https://ulozto.net/file/oKIu3FjNTuNd...ufAKWmZGOwZt==

Comment

i'll wait for the transcript

Comment

1st time I got 0003, when I switched probes I was getting 0002 and the final try numbers fluctuate, then drop to 0001 within a couple of seconds

Just retried and now I get 0001 and 0000 on both sides
                          Last edited by H1ghl4nd3r; 06-01-2023, 06:49 AM.

Comment

then it may be bad,
                            but you wont know till you unsolder aleast one end and test again.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              then it may be bad,
                              but you wont know till you unsolder aleast one end and test again.
                              I have been looking around and can't find any SK34C in the UK, I don't mind popping half the chip off but might be an idea to find a replacement part as well.
                              Also is it better to remove the side where there is a strip a triangle and 2 squares?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by H1ghl4nd3r; 06-01-2023, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Inject voltage and see what gets hot. Also I did as google and there's people claiming open circuit resistors in this unit causing this not short. See how much power is being drawn from the mains when the device is connected. Does anything get hot ?
                                Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Hey im in telford too, bring it to me
                                  Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

I did wonder if there was a possibility that there was no voltage going into the chip, the multimeter only gives a small amount of power, but my knowledge is limited
                                    When u say Inject voltage do you mean plug in the power supply into the mother board and see if anything gets hot?
                                    Also how do I see how much power is being drawn from the mains when the device is connected, I don’t have anything to test that.
                                    Shame I’m down south to you in Wales

Comment

melt the solder at one end of the diode and slip a blade or sheet of card under it to isolate it from the pad.

Comment

I finally get some time to myself and the 1 thing I don’t have that I need is solder wick, and I didn’t realise this until I stripped down the Nas and setup the soldering kit

I managed to get the excess off but for the last part, I’m going to need the solder wick to clean up the bit that still holding the side of the chip and want to do it properly
                                        If it isn’t the problem I can solder it back down, and if it is the problem finding a chip to replace it, only place I have found them is on eBay but only in batches of 50 from china, so that’s around a month wait

Comment

Working...
                                        X