Linux penguin -- Best, comment, rage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux penguin -- Best, comment, rage.

So I searched for "linux" to see if any purely linux topics showed up.

I found none in the first 3 pages

Heres one:
    discuss your experience with linux!
    which distro is the best?
    what sites do you frequent for linux updates, info, news?

and whats the best desktop that you like the most??

For me its RedHat - or any derivative of that (centos)

I started with Xfce but have moved to gnome for compatiblity with all distros.

What are your complaints besides gaming and program limitations?

sites I visit often:
    distrowatch
    phoronix
    linux-gamers.net

Re: Linux penguin -- Best, comment, rage.

well, i use ubuntu for my nicer stuff and xubuntu for my lower power stuff.

penguin power!
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I use Centos for everything.
      At home it's my mail server anti-spam filter web server, hosts my VM sessions, etc. etc.
      At work I think I've saved the company close to $50k by using FOSS under Linux for things like Network monitoring, Trouble ticket software, IDS etc. etc.
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

i've been through most of the big distros, for both personal and server. redhat, centos, suse, gentoo, slackware, mandrex, ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu.

out of the big ones i've only liked suselinux. my personal fave is archlinux, mostly cause its kiss and cause of pacman. now everything i have runs arch. and its i686/amd64 too, so its like pre-compiled gentoo without the ricers.

Comment

I've been using Fedora since about release 6. I've noticed the past few versions have become a bit more buggy. I think it's stability peaked around version 7 or 8. In consideration of this, I might be moving to CentOS in the near future.

My main use for it is on the desktop, where I use it for OpenOffice, browsing the internet, email, DVD backup, customer drive backup, and some games when I get a chance.
          A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

i use mandriva full-time.
            never windoze.

i check here daily:
            http://www.linuxtoday.com/

i use KDE(3 and 4)

Comment

i use gnome 2 and gnome shell... once they get a widget layer for shell, i'm moving to it full time... it is cool once you get used to it...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                i use gnome 2 and gnome shell... once they get a widget layer for shell, i'm moving to it full time... it is cool once you get used to it...
                ahh how is it? i was completely used to kde3, switched to 4 and it got a bit confusing. but i hated gnome 1. how's 2?

Comment

To search for linux, use "Linux Distros" That will come up with better search returns. Havn't ran Mandriva in years, but I love Ubuntu. Need to play with Slax.

Not a fan of dual boots, and windows an grub don't always play nice... Easist way is to setup a second box for linux/bsd, or run virtual box.

Comment

I started with Caldera OpenLinux July 1998. Switched to Mandrake at version 8.0. Still with Mandrake/Mandriva (not upgrading each time however). [EDIT:] Right now, dual-booting SP Pro 64 and Mandriva 2010.1 (Spring) 64-bit. [END of edit]

For browsing the net and Office type tasks, I prefer linux. Great stability and no virus threat. (I don't randomly click and install stuff in Windows, but still....) Many virtual screens in linux (KDE, don't know about Gnome) is nice. I don't have Windows Vista or Seven, but the visual bling (KDE 4.4.3, Mandriva 2010.1 64-bit) is probably equal to Microsoft.

For hardware recognition and setup, Linux has come a long way and is probably equal to Windows right now. Linux works with older video cards and wireless chips (often out of the box) where the manufacturer refuses to provide drivers (especially 64-bit XP). Sound cards are still tricky to set up in linux correctly and some features might not work. But compare that to Windows -- if they give you drivers for your version of Windows, it works perfectly out of the box, and if they didn't, forget it. For weird USB stuff like cameras, though, Windows might have a slight edge.

For software, some stuff is still better (or only possible) in Windows. Altering EXIF tags in your photo collection, probably video tasks, and a bunch of other things (specialty tasks including Family Tree software?) that I can't think of right now.

My US $0.02.
                    Last edited by Hondaman; 07-15-2010, 02:06 PM.

Comment

2010.1 only hit the mirrors on the 9th,
                      you got that installed pretty quick!

Comment

Originally posted by Hondaman
                        For software, some stuff is still better (or only possible) in Windows. Altering EXIF tags in your photo collection, probably video tasks, and a bunch of other things (specialty tasks including Family Tree software?) that I can't think of right now.
                        if you were running gnome/xfce as opposed to KDE, then you would have GRAMPS, a GNU family tree (genealogy) program... you could use it in K, but it would pull a lot of dependencies and much your ram...

have you tried gnome shell? you should... it kicks a** and will kick bigger a** when they get widgets/applets working...
                        sigpic

Comment

Glad to see people still using Mandriva. It was the first distro I was able to load and run successfully. I used Mandriva 8.0 for a year before I tried Ubuntu again (8.10).

The problem was that the crappy Nero burning software wouldn't burn the Ubuntu ISO properly!

I would have stayed with Mandriva, but the download mirror I was using stopped being reliable. I should give it another chance. I did like the "K" desktop.

I currently use Ubuntu 9.04. 9.10 had some problems playing CDs, and seemed to take longer to boot up. I have Linux Mint Gloria (Ubuntu 9.04 based) loaded on another machine. Mint looks more like KDE, but I am used to Gnome now.

I never really feel "safe" on a Windows machine. Despite being "protected" by MacAfee
                          and Rogers anti-virus, both my wife's and son's XP machines were hacked. I now have them using Kaspersky without problems.

Linux is one of the great blessings of technology. Without it I would have not become interested in this forum or computer hardware in general.

The only reason I use XP at all is Photoshop.

Flash could work better under Linux, but that's Adobe's fault. Some Broadcom Laptop
                          wireless cards won't work under Ubuntu - I don't use a Laptop so I don't care.
                          Only thing that bugs me is the ACPI Timer bug, never been able to sort that one out.
                          This affects dual-CPU server-type Intel boards. Don't know if they would actually run better under XP Pro.

Pleased to see that ATI is now doing a better job of supporting Linux. I have had no problems, despite the Internet chatter about this.

Also think Printer support in Linux needs work. HP printers "sort of" work, Canon not at all. This is a printer manufacturer issue.

Comment

First unix I installed at home was FreeBSD 2.something. Command prompt only, worked fine but I only played around with it a bit.
                            Then tried redhat 6.2. Tried the Gnome GUI on that, didn't like it.
                            I think after this is when I tried BeOS v5. Worked great and I even liked the GUI, but of course it was a niche OS and died off.
                            The first linux I used long-term, and set up as a server, was RedHat 7.2, later upgraded to 7.3. This ran on a dual Pentium Pro 200. I kept using that until the fedora-legacy site stopped supporting it.

Used Fedora 2 in a dual boot on my desktop (dual p2-xeon 450) for about a month, then Fedora 3 on both my desktop and laptop. I had a good experience with it, but got sick of the bugs and hacks required to get things working with Fedora. Still, I was using Fedora 2 as my primary environment for about a month, only using Win2k when necessary.
                            On the same machine, the Windows 2000 GUI remained much faster than KDE or Gnome, despite all the hype surrounding linux's supposed speed. I didn't see it then, and I still don't. I experimented with some of the lightweight GUIs, but they sucked for usability. Never found anything that could match Windows 2000 or NT4 for the combination of function and speed.
                            Linux is great as a command line server though, and very stable. That's what it's good at, and I'd never use Windows in that role.

I tried Mandrake at some point, also SuSE and Caldera, but I don't remember much about them.

I switched away from Fedora to CentOS, having decided I don't share RedHat's purposes for the Fedora project. They want a beta-testing sandbox, I want something that works.
                            I now have CentOS 4 installed on the dual-450MHz desktop I mentioned earlier. That machine is now dedicated as a Linux workstation and is only used occasionally.

I use WinXP on my daily use desktop, and still prefer Windows for that role. I prefer Linux for servers.

What are your complaints besides gaming and program limitations?
                            The unbearable "community". It ranges from angry antisocial to highly political. I'm on the fringe for not hating Microsoft and believing in copyright.

Comment

I started with slackware. Now its ubuntu and linux mint for the most part.

Want to try this : http://www.pcbsd.org/

Comment

Windows 10 finally convinced me of the necessity to go for Linux . I had enough already from their ... Well , hacking and trying to control what and how you should act or think and enforce their desired or undesired programs , like it or not ..
                                I'm right now turning to kali , open office , etc... Enough is enough !!

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                                  Windows 10 finally convinced me of the necessity to go for Linux . I had enough already from their ... Well , hacking and trying to control what and how you should act or think and enforce their desired or undesired programs , like it or not ..
                                  I'm right now turning to kali , open office , etc... Enough is enough !!
                                  A spam bot resurrected this thread....I removed the spam...but it seemed a good time to revive the discussion! A lot has changed since 2010!
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                  Team : 49813
                                  Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                    A spam bot resurrected this thread....I removed the spam...but it seemed a good time to revive the discussion! A lot has changed since 2010!
                                    Famous sites are always a target , cause it's famous

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                                      Famous sites are always a target , cause it's famous
                                      FWIW, this message brought to you through Linux Mint 21.1!
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                        FWIW, this message brought to you through Linux Mint 21.1!
                                        Full respect !!

Comment

Working...
                                        X