No announcement yet.

Linux penguin -- Best, comment, rage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Linux penguin -- Best, comment, rage.

nothing has changed here... been using Linux in the same capacity as in 2010...same distribution too (Gentoo).

But it's not the desktop that's the problem. Mobile phones is a bigger problem - these are dictating what you can and can't run. Demand more from these things.

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
      Full respect !!
      I've migrated all the 'web browsing' terminals over to Linux.... I still have a few Windows systems around; as I need it for utilities for diagnostics, etc.....but since the death of 7, Windows has definitely lost its appeal to me.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        i use gnome 2 and gnome shell... once they get a widget layer for shell, i'm moving to it full time... it is cool once you get used to it...
        And 13 years (and many life changes) later... I've swapped distros (Been running arch on laptops since 2014 or so, and converted the server to arch earlier this year).

And since then I have in fact stuck with Gnome 3 (what gnome shell became)... Although I kinda miss the old preview version, it was pretty neat and I preferred it to the early production versions of gnome 3. But that was so long ago...

Laptops are dualbooted with windows 10... at least the two that see routine use. I have a few others which are Win7 dualboots (or Win7/WinXP), but they're retired systems not in active service.

My server was headless running CLI debian... but with the Arch swap I moved it to XFCE (after trying a couple of the really light GUIs and not being impressed). It's running a modded copy of the laptop image... and was running gnome 3 initially (only reason I changed CLIs was to reduce power usage since it's a server, not another workstation; it has intel HD graphics and plenty of CPU/RAM!)
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          I've migrated all the 'web browsing' terminals over to Linux.... I still have a few Windows systems around; as I need it for utilities for diagnostics, etc.....but since the death of 7, Windows has definitely lost its appeal to me.
          Me too Boss , and just like you , there are only two systems , 2 Dell Latitude 520 , for two TVs expansions , and unfortunately , they only work in 32 Bit systems and no software that run Linux other than their original windows one . I managed to set them in windows 7 32 Bit and won't risk them . Same for my platform of Hard disks recovery and the sofisticated expensive programs ..

Other than that , I'm turning Kali
          Attached Files

Comment

Linux across the board for daily-driver systems and servers. (Debian Testing for daily-driver systems, Debian 11 for servers, except the firewall box which is running FreeBSD Hardened as a core component of OPNsense.)

As far as GNOME goes, it can take a long hike off of a tall cliff as far as I care. They've slowly come up with their own theming system and all of their stuff now completely ignores GTK theming or is laughably broken.
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

I actually haven't had Linux in regular use since that Toshiba laptop took a shit and I bought my ThinkPad P53. I'll have to get back into using Linux again some time, which will most likely when I get a forced Windows 11 "upgrade" or when I can get video capture working without fully uncompressed video. It's definitely possible to capture video in Linux with my hardware, but the software isn't there (even the Windows software sucks - I've only found one program that doesn't capture garbage video, and it only works on the ThinkPad).
              Last edited by lti; 04-14-2023, 07:45 PM.

Comment

i recently just pulled the trigger and got my p3 system i've always wanted. not sure what i'd use to test it but i ended up booting lubuntu 14.04 for testing and it actually booted, surprisingly! imagine that! 2001 hardware still working on 2014 software! speaks volumes about linux backward compatibility! ran prime95 overnight on it and no problems. also managed to undervolt it 0.1v which is the most the mobo bios will allow and no issues running and stress testing undervolted too!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                  i recently just pulled the trigger and got my p3 system i've always wanted. not sure what i'd use to test it but i ended up booting lubuntu 14.04 for testing and it actually booted, surprisingly! imagine that! 2001 hardware still working on 2014 software! speaks volumes about linux backward compatibility! ran prime95 overnight on it and no problems. also managed to undervolt it 0.1v which is the most the mobo bios will allow and no issues running and stress testing undervolted too!
                  Very nice!

I have Lubuntu 16.04 on a G5 PPC iMac (yes there was a version made for the PPC). It's not the speediest thing in the world, but still usable. I wish it was still supported....I have a quad core G5 that's liquid cooled with 16gb RAM in it....that would be a really fun one for a more modern version of Ubuntu!
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

I had Lubuntu 14.04 running on my shitty ghetto-fixed HP laptop with an Athlon XP-M 1400+ and shitty integrated graphics. The problem with it was the integrated graphics losing hardware acceleration in a Mesa version between the ones used by Ubuntu LTS releases, so dragging windows became painfully slow. 12.04 ran a lot better.

I'm posting from Pop!_OS (stupid name) on my ThinkPad P53. It has had some problems with suspend mode, and I haven't found any scroll speed setting yet. The clit mouse scrolls way too fast. I wanted to try a distro with built-in hybrid graphics support (although Intel graphics would be fine for what I'm doing after the xorg.conf black magic to get rid of the screen tearing), but the UI is some weird not-Gnome thing that I don't like.

Also, Linux claims that my regular Windows drive is encrypted with BitLocker, but I never enabled it. That's another stupid Microsoft problem. I've heard of people being locked out of their computers with a BitLocker password that they didn't set up, and I'm starting to think that was real and not malware. I guess it's good that I didn't try disabling the TPM to avoid Windows 11 because that would have wiped the BitLocker key that I didn't know I had.
                    Last edited by lti; 04-29-2023, 06:39 PM.

Comment

No that's a "Linux" problem, it probably detected Bitlocker magic numbers from the partition or partition table and gave up right there, perhaps you ran the software in Windows but didn't go ahead with the encryption.

but yes recently mesa dropped support for a whole bunch of legacy video drivers or at least moved them to mesa-amber which is additional support to those stuck having to use it. My Radeon R9000M falls into that category, but the mesa code itself has bugs even in mesa-amber so I'm screwed either way. However 2D still works fine, it's just 3D and if i enable compositing that has issues. Disabling compositing may help (not for me, it causes other issues in xfce4 on this laptop.)

Yes, Gentoo is running on this machine, too.

Comment

That one was one of those S3 ProSavage variants, so it lost support before mesa-amber existed. Even 2D was slow in Ubuntu 14.04. 12.04 was faster, but some stuff like LibreOffice had graphical glitches (big solid-colored boxes covering parts of the UI).

I'll have to look around a little more about the Bitlocker thing. I don't think I ever started the software. I should also look at how the Opal encryption thing on the SSD works.

Comment

oh yeah that's another purge, i threw away all my s3 and hope for my C&T cards then...
                          main hope is that you're not using the VESA driver, that's great for compatibility but really kills performance.

Comment

i have debian testing version on 3 machines here.
                            2 of them have strange random window flickering,
                            the 3rd is perfect.

the first 2 have intel onboard video
                            the 3rd and working one has onboard ATI video.

fucking anoying - specially as one of the shit ones is an optiplex that uses half-height cards.

Comment

Intel has driver problems everywhere, but I was able to fix the screen tearing on a Sandy Bridge CPU (HD Graphics 3000). It runs better than Windows 7.

The ThinkPad has some full-screen flickering sometimes, but that also happens in Windows. I fixed it in Windows by disabling panel self-refresh in the Intel graphics settings, but I will need to find that setting in Linux.

Comment

my newer ATI Radeons (r600 and newer) work perfectly with mesa, works really easy, no effort needed anymore. Just the older ones that got driver support dropped craps out.

Most of my Intel on-cpu video works fairly well but I have one that occasionally has some strange screen tearing when scrolling for Firefox and no other applications... I use this machine primarily for MythTV and the same install worked fine for a Q45 chipset graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                                  Windows 10 finally convinced me of the necessity to go for Linux . I had enough already from their ... Well , hacking and trying to control what and how you should act or think and enforce their desired or undesired programs , like it or not ..
                                  I'm right now turning to kali , open office , etc... Enough is enough !!
                                  Have you tried the Tiny versions of Win 10/win11? The remove all the MS spyware and telemetry and cut out all the MS apps.

As for Linux, when I have to use it I use Lubuntu, but I have several program that are Windows only so it will always just be a side project for me.

Comment

Two years ago my life was too simple, so I bought a refurbished ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA506IU
                                    laptop from Best Buy. Exactly one second after the return-for-refund date had passed, my Windows V.whatever install crashed, and the laptop's recovery media was DOA. Naturally, I turned to Linux.

That has been interesting. Stability has been an issue. Nvidia chips too cutting edge perhaps...
                                    I have had, over the last couple years, the unique learning opportunity of installing, in rapid succession, a very large number of Linux distributions. (This list includes only the distributions that I was able to install/run with graphics using Nvidia drivers.

Arch based:
                                    Arcolinux
                                    EndeavourOS
                                    Garuda
                                    Manjaro
                                    Debian based
                                    MX Linux
                                    Mint
                                    PopOS
                                    Ubuntu/Kubuntu
                                    Fedora
                                    OpenSuse

Comment

You can download the Windows installer for free from Microsoft and install any Asus software and drivers that you need (you usually don't need any of them - just install generic drivers directly from AMD and Nvidia and see what happens).

I didn't have any stability problems on my ThinkPad P53, but that has an Intel CPU instead of AMD.

Comment

Linux Mint is also my daily driver. I have it on a number of machines.

Comment

Apparently Windows 10 has two levels of drive encryption. This laptop has "device encryption" turned on (but not fully set up because I'm not using a Microsoft account), but BitLocker is off.

Now I'm wondering if I should actually dual-boot one of my computers so I can start looking at the video capture stuff again. Maybe I need to learn how to write my own capture software since I haven't been able to get both video and audio captured properly at the same time. I've tried asking around, and all I get is screen recorders (which can't capture video from any capture cards at all) or software that only works with UVC devices (like webcams). OBS can capture video, but the audio is broken. I can also record audio using Audacity, and it comes out just as good as Windows.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X