Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP laptop model 17-y018cy Halt on boot

I have a 6-year-old HP laptop model 17-y018cy
    on every boot "product information not valid" is shown and that the product name, serial and system board numbers are missing and press enter to continue, I have contacted HP Uk but they can't help me.
    Anyone know of a way of stopping it showing or entering the information required as it bugging me

Thanks in advance Andrew
    Attached Files

Re: Halt on boot

there are tools to set that, i think it's stored in the bios.
    try searching stuff like "hp bios configurator"

is it a replacement board from ebay in it?

Comment

Re: HP laptop model 17-y018cy Halt on boot

Replacement boards from HP come without that info, and the tech is supposed to fill it in after installation. They have their own tools to do it I believe but you can use the Bios Configuration Utility.

https://ftp.ext.hp.com/pub/caps-soft...it/HP_BCU.html

BTW, HP had dropped support for this utility in favour of some new scripting tools. But there were about 4 scripts to do the job this tool provides in one package. So all mention of them dropping it seems to have gone!

Most of the info you need will be on labels on the motherboard. Some will be on or around the RAM sockets, or other parts of the board. You can write this stuff in with the utility, it's pretty straightforward. Usually what I do is dump the entire contents to a file, edit and reimport it.

BIOSConfigUtility64.exe /GetConfig:"Bios_settings.txt"

Open the txt file, edit the data you need, save it, then reimport. You might need to change the permissions for the SP143621 directory to allow you to save changes etc.

BIOSConfigUtility64.exe /SetConfig:"Bios_settings.txt"

If you get an error that the MPM isn't locked, you set the Manufacturing Programming Mode to Lock via the /SetValue command. Most of this stuff is from memory and some things may have changed since I last did it.

BIOSConfigUtility64.exe /setvalue:”Manufacturing Programming Mode”,”Lock”

Comment

Thank you all so much I have the tools now! Just got to work out how to use them

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
          Replacement boards from HP come without that info, and the tech is supposed to fill it in after installation. They have their own tools to do it I believe but you can use the Bios Configuration Utility.

BTW, HP had dropped support for this utility in favour of some new scripting tools. But there were about 4 scripts to do the job this tool provides in one package. So all mention of them dropping it seems to have gone!

Most of the info you need will be on labels on the motherboard. Some will be on or around the RAM sockets, or other parts of the board. You can write this stuff in with the utility, it's pretty straightforward. Usually what I do is dump the entire contents to a file, edit and reimport it.

BIOSConfigUtility64.exe /GetConfig:"Bios_settings.txt"

Open the txt file, edit the data you need, save it, then reimport. You might need to change the permissions for the SP143621 directory to allow you to save changes etc.

BIOSConfigUtility64.exe /SetConfig:"Bios_settings.txt"

If you get an error that the MPM isn't locked, you set the Manufacturing Programming Mode to Lock via the /SetValue command. Most of this stuff is from memory and some things may have changed since I last did it.

BIOSConfigUtility64.exe /setvalue:”Manufacturing Programming Mode”,”Lock”
          I have tried to run these tools but have not been able to get more than a a quick flash of a terminal window or error messages when running the commands you have kindly given me
          I opened the laptop and found a label inside the case with this number, would this be the MB No 46008c0050011801DHHA10021216
          Last edited by piernov; 04-28-2023, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Hi here you have video from guy who explains it good

https://youtu.be/ttP1aL0u8Ws

Watch this and you know how to fix your laptop.

Comment

Thanks, I don't have the lock message that he talks about but I get the idea now
              I need to run in a WINPe environment and perhaps unlock first then rewrite the text relocking at the same time. Do you think that will work.: confused:

Comment

Originally posted by MrRoo View Post
                Thanks, I don't have the lock message that he talks about but I get the idea now
                I need to run in a WINPe environment and perhaps unlock first then rewrite the text relocking at the same time. Do you think that will work.: confused:
                it works in WINPe

Comment

I have tried to follow the instructions given but I've come unstuck with this file

I have downloaded it and now find I can't change the read only mode
                  I have tried using the CMD icacls d: \file name /grant:f but it returns to Read only as soon as I unlocked it and then reopen it's read only again. I'm using this a PE environment so surely, I should have control
                  any ideas gratefully received

Comment

Working...
                  X