Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung monitor Installed 1 cap wrong, now menu button dead, "no signal detected" msg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung monitor Installed 1 cap wrong, now menu button dead, "no signal detected" msg

Samsung synchmaster 226BW.

Before I replaced 5 caps, the screen was dim.
    Sometimes it wouldn't turn on.

I opened it up, and found 4 bad caps in the pwr supply section.

I unfortunately installee one backwards, i.e. wrong polarity.

When I turned it on, I head a loud pop, and I quickly shut it off.

The replaced caps are 3 860uF 25V's, and 1 330u 35V.
    One of the 860uF blew.

I didn't have another 860uF at home, so I tried it with a 1000uF 35V cap (I remember the reading of the 1k uF cap was close to 950uF, so I figured it was close enough to 1 kuF)

Now, it:
    1. shows no signal detected (the signal's fine, check w/other monitor)
    2. the menu buttom doesn't work.

Does anybody think replacing the 1000uF cap will help?

What else should I be looking at to explain my problems?

Thanks!

Re: Samsung monitor Installed 1 cap wrong, now menu button dead, "no signal detected"

If you had 5 bad caps before, where were they and what (brand and series) were they replaced with? Same with the PSU board - what brand and series did you use for the new caps.

Using the 1000 uF cap in place of the 820 uF cap shouldn't be the issue behind the problem you have.

Could you post top and bottom side pictures of the power supply and logic board?

I suspect the menu button not working could be a different issue now - perhaps bad solder joint, bad front panel cable, or damaged button board / cable assembly from taking the monitor apart twice.

The signal not getting detected could be from any remaining bad caps on the logic board. Hence why I suggest to post pictures of both boards so we can see what you are seeing.

Comment

Re: Samsung monitor Installed 1 cap wrong, now menu button dead, "no signal detected"

Thank you for your reply, momaka!
      I'm confused about what the problem is.......but I don't think it's my cap replacement.

I can get a very poor quality VGA pic.
      While the VGA cable/signal is input, the menu buttons on the monitor work

But no DVI signal recognition at all.
      And menu buttons don't work when DVI is plugged in.

I've used other monitors, and the DVI signal is good with other monitors.....

When the DVI is connected, I don't even get a start up boot screen, and I've looked in the BIOS for settings, to no avail.

BUT I am sure that I had the monitor working on the DVI side before I changed the caps.....

Comment

Working...
      X