PS5 BLOD- CFI-1115A Disc Version- Board= EDM-020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS5 BLOD- CFI-1115A Disc Version- Board= EDM-020

Hey people I was wondering if I could get some pointers. I am new to working on the PS5. I only know power rail locations for this system from watching Cod3r. But here is my scenario. I have a EDM-020 board that has it's 12v, 5v, 3.3v rails. Even has the lower voltage rails. Everything seems to be fine. But system will not transfer from blue to white. Have the pulsing blue light of death. I checked the liquid metal on the APU and cleaned/reapplied. Havent checked under sticker yet due to no shorts being found. I am wondering if maybe i just have a bad BIOS chip or flash. I have a programmer if someone has a known good bin for CFI-1115A. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: PS5 BLOD- CFI-1115A Disc Version- Board= EDM-020

Just to elaborate a bit on this.. I did check thermal temps on board while BLOD flashes. RAM, APU, SSD etc... all running at 40 degrees or lower.

Comment

It sounds like you've done a good job of troubleshooting so far. Since all of the power rails seem to be present, and you've checked the thermal temps on the board, it's possible that you may have a bad BIOS chip or flash, as you mentioned.

If you have a programmer and are able to access the BIOS chip, you could try flashing a known good bin for CFI-1115A. Alternatively, you could try searching online for a known good BIOS dump for your specific board model.

Another thing you could try is reseating all of the board connections, especially the ones for the power supply and the storage drive. Sometimes a loose connection can cause the pulsing blue light of death.

If none of these solutions work, it may be worth reaching out to a professional repair service that specializes in PS5 repairs or reach out to sony: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/

I hope this helps!

Comment

Aktinson,
        Much appreciated. Yeah it's been fun. I have a programmer and can pull the BIOS chip off to backup, erase and flash. But i do not have a known good BIN for CFI-1115A Disc edition. Any ideas where i can find? In regards to the connections. All good there. Thank you for the reply

Comment

• Chikaubah
          Chikaubah commented
          Editing a comment
          Please could you snap the programmer you are using because i have a ch341a programmer but it doesn't detect my ps5 chip but if i try a random chip it detect it so i dont know what going on i did sometimes downgraded my ch431a programmer to 3v because it came with 5v so if i can see your that will help

Update: Removed board and connected to DC power supply. Providing 12 volts and 1 amp current. Looks to be a small short somewhere. This should be fun to find. Haha
        Attached Files

Comment

Not able to find a short on this board. This is like a needle in a haystack without a schematic I did confirm no liquid metal spill. Re-applied liquid metal and and same issue.

Comment

remove and dump the syscon flash,
            i'm sick of people asking for dumps so it's time to start creating a collection.

Comment

Anyone know what the full part number of this chip is? It is located right beside the buck controller. 1st pic shows buck controller to left and un-identified chip to the right. 2nd pic is un-identified chip zoomed in.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                remove and dump the syscon flash,
                i'm sick of people asking for dumps so it's time to start creating a collection.
                Not even sure the flash i have on this chip was not previously corrupted.

Comment

Still battling this one. I have all the power rails. PS5 beeps, turns on. Pulsing blue light and no switch to white. But remains on. Thermal camera shows everything running at from 40-50 degrees celsius. APU , RAM, SSD, all warm. I have removed the BIOS chip and backed it up. My friend offered me to remove his bios chip from known good ps5 as well. Plan is to flash his known good bin to my chip. But what do i need to change in Hex Editor prior to flashing? We want to cross all our t's on this process. I need to know where to find the Model, Serial and any other relevant info that will need to be copied prior to flash. Any ideas?

Comment

i dont know if it's just the dvd key and maybe a checksum.
                    if you unplug the dvd you can flash the non-drive syscon firmware and it works

Comment

On PS4, this behavior was the same as you have on PS5 (not a working HDMI chip) and the set-top box did not boot to the end.

Comment

Can you provide me a step by step walkthrough a bit? I have done this with Dell laptop BIOS's. The only main things to change in them BIN files are the Service Tag, Product Key, and MAC. I assume Sony has something similar? I have the W25Q16JV@SOIC8 backed up to BIN. What do i need to edit before flash. Those are the steps I am looking for. I am a noob with game console flashes.
                        Last edited by TheWizard; 05-25-2023, 02:04 PM.

Comment

compare the 2 flashes for differences.

Comment

Yeah i follow you. Is there any tips and tricks to working with HexEditor? I am not sure what i am looking for in the BIN.

Comment

Okay i just was able to find the model through hex editor on both bin files. The known good is a CFI-1116B and my original is a CFI-1115A. I was told this BIN would work for my EDM-020 board though. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                                On PS4, this behavior was the same as you have on PS5 (not a working HDMI chip) and the set-top box did not boot to the end.
                                Lotas,
                                So you think i have a bad hdmi encoder chip?

Comment

use a hex editor that can DIFF 2 binaries.
                                  maybe 010 editor or imhex
                                  https://www.sweetscape.com/download/010editor/
                                  https://github.com/WerWolv/ImHex

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    use a hex editor that can DIFF 2 binaries.
                                    maybe 010 editor or imhex
                                    https://www.sweetscape.com/download/010editor/
                                    https://github.com/WerWolv/ImHex
                                    Stj,
                                    I did use a hexeditor and compared the two binaries. But other than model and serial number. What else do i have to change before flashing the chip?

Comment

your missing the point,
                                      your comparing them to find out what is different.
                                      because nobody knows - or they arent sharing what they have found.

i have ONE CFI-1015 dump,
                                      thats all i can find online - nobody is sharing shit because the people doing comercial repairs probably think it's some type of asset.
                                      that or they are scared of sony.

Comment

Working...
                                      X