Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell Vostro 15 3000 (i5-11th Gen) 3 Orange 5 White LED Code

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
    Something is wrong there. Measure whether 0.6VSP is present at PUM01 Pin20. Check the Enable too, Pin7
    Also if there is a component that needs replaced I have a somewhat similar board that has mostly the same exact components that I can swap from

Comment

Anyone else got suggestions?

Comment

Update: I changed UZ2 chip again, now 5V and 3V go in correctly. 3.3V comes out on 3VS but only around 2.2V comes out on 5VS. After it goes to 2.2V the power light goes out and then it comes on a few seconds later and it loops. RAM, CPU and GPU heat up as normal
        Last edited by q5q; 05-27-2023, 07:09 AM. Reason: Error in explanation

Comment

Remove all power -> check the resistance to ground of the rail @ 2v2.

What is the resistance?

Comment

Im not too sure why but I got home and tried another charger and now 5VS reaches 4.7ish volts, I dont know if its because of the different charger or if by some chance I read wrong multiple times im not sure. Anyways Im trying to measure resistance and it first reads 20 mega ohms then it keeps going down so not too sure

Comment

I put it back into case and plugged everything back in and it went to 2.2V again

Comment

Be sure that you do not have any power to the board and without the laptop battery during diode or resistance mode measurements.

Dell is very particular on the power adapters. They use a single wire communication with the adapter to determine if it is suitable or not.

Respectively, the 5 volts rail should be 5 volts.

Remove all power and measure the resistance to ground of this 5 volt rail. Each inductor/coil should also be checked in the same manner.

A low voltage rail could be due to a shorted part on the rail.

Comment

There is no shorts to ground on the board, Unless there is 2 rails shorted to each other idk

Comment

You are yet to mention the resistance on the 5v rail pulled down to 2V.

Comment

Sorry, I had flashed the bios back to the original to see if it was some how a bios issue, and then 5VS went to 5V and 3VS dropped to 0.04V. Then the 3 amber and 5 white LED started flashing again. Later I will reflash to a different bios and clean ME but I need to wait for my flux to arrive later in the day.

I have tried reading the resistance to ground again on 5VS and 3VS rails.

Im getting around 1.2 mega ohms on 5VS however it keeps climbing, I have no clue why this happens. Tried again and got 0.8 Mega ohms and climbing.

Same kind of thing on 3VS. It starts at 20 kilo ohms and starts dropping quite fast.

The board isnt powered. No battery plugged in or charger, not even cmos battery as it is on a daughter board

SLP_S3 is 3.3V. After powering for some time 3VS has 0.725V
                      Last edited by Vesko356; 05-28-2023, 03:26 PM. Reason: Merging posts.

Comment

Resistance seems normal. The dc-dc converter soldering is fine??

Comment

It looks fine, I could probably go over it again later.

Comment

Well, I checked it and I pushed hard on it while powering the board and got no RAM error, so will reflow it later. Awkward

Comment

Reflowed, 3VS and 5VS good, came up with no ram led, took out power cable, put in ram, put power cable back in, now no lights and no voltage on any coil. Took out charger and ram, put charger back in, no lights and no voltage on any coils, flashed back to original bios, still nothing. 19V comes in, I have kind of probed around and 19V goes to PQG4 mosfet but nothing comes out, not sure if this is the issue though.

Comment

Nothing shorted to ground

Comment

PQG4 is highside mosfet for VCCIN_AUX.You can expect 19V at the drain of this mosfet but voltage on the other side will come after powered on.I think motherboard is not turning on at all now.If yes, then no point probing PQG4.

Comment

Yeah motherboard is doing absolutely nothing now, all because a stick of ram?

Comment

I dont think ram replacement can do this type of damage. You need to take a fresh approach to disgnose the fault. Start with checking resistance to GND on all coils,check the basic requirements of SIO, flash clean me bios,cmos reset to start with.

Comment

Sorry for very late reply been busy, I have found the issue and replaced the 3V controller chip. It’s almost fixed i’d say, there was a cmos battery led code so I replaced it and got it to turn on once, it says date and time not set… i unplugged the power and tried again, no post just cmos led code. I have checked the voltage of the cmos battery before putting it in, it was 3.2V after the few minutes of it being in it was drained to 2.8V. Same thing happened with the old battery before but I just thought it was a faulty battery. I do have a one more spare but don’t want to waste it. Any help in finding why this happens will be very helpful now.

PS. all voltages are correct on coils now

Comment

You get display everytime when CMOS cell is not inserted ? Problem begins only when CMOS cell is inserted? If yes, you have problem in RTC circuit.

Comment

Working...
                                          X