Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DELL U2410 problem

Hello,

My DELL U2410 is now more than 3 years old (no more warranty) and it started to make trouble. When I turn on the monitor, I can see the DELL Logo on the Display and it shortly shows a symbol in the top left corner indicating the used input. (I currently connect the HDMI, but it has the same issue on DVI). After that the monitor display is shut down immediately. When I try to open the OSD Menu, it does not show up. I decided to open the monitor and replace the capatiors on the power board, because I have read that this can often fix this kind of issue. Unfortunetely in my case it didn't fix the issue.

Now my suspicion is, that the inverter board or the backlight itself may be the problem. Unfortunately I am not experienced enough to figure out the issue and was hoping that you could help me.

I have attached pictures of the opened monitor and the 14 pin connector which connects the power supply board to the inverter board.

I also measured the voltages on that connector:

pin1-5: 23,8V (stable after 3s, no change during operation)
    pin6-10: 0V (I think this is GND)
    pin11: 0V (constantly, no change in voltage)
    pin12: 3,2V (stable after 3s) falls to 0V 20 seconds later
    pin13: 1,7V (stable after 3s) falls to 1.5V after 20 seconds
    pin14: 3.6V (stable after 3s) falls to 0V after 20s

If I constantly touch the buttons for the OSD display, the voltages on pins 12,13 and 14 do not fall after 20s and remain on 3.2V, 1.7V and 3.6V.

Not sure if this is correct, but I think the monitor is going into standby after 20s, if the touch panel is not touched. If I keep touching the panel it probably doesn't go to sleep and tries to display the OSD (just guessing).

It would help me a lot if you could help me to figure out what I should check next and hear your opinion about what could be the issue.

Thank You!
    Attached Files

Re: DELL U2410 problem

Hi MeinFreund,

It's been a long time since you posted the above message, but did you succeed in repairing your U2410. I have a similar problem.

I have 2 U2410, on REV.A04 and the other, REV. A06. Unfortunately, my 3 years waranty on the first one I purchased (the A04) just expired 9 days ago :-(

When I turn it on the I can see the image displayed by my computer. Then, after 5 or 10 sec, it goes black. The power light remain ON. If I cycle it off/on, I do get the image for another 5 sec. If I unplug the video cable (DVI or HDMI), I can make the menu button appears but, same thing here. The screen shut off, but I can still play with the menu (I hear the "beeps")

It seems to me that my backlight circuit is faulty (probably a capacitor not holding it's charge due to the nature of the problem.

I haven't opened it yet to read the voltages like you did, but did you have any success repairing this monitor?

Regards,

LYNAM

Comment

Hi!

Yes, I solved the issue. One of the backlight tubes had a bad connection to its socket. I cleaned the tube (it was very dirty) and after the cleaning it worked just fine!

The issue is explained in some other thread about U2410:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...8&goto=newpost

A.

Comment

I suggest you do not treat hdmi as plug and play - switch off plug then switch back on.
        When the backlight goes off can you still see a dim image from the pc on screen. Perhaps shining a flashlight at an angle will help. If you can it is probably only the backlight that is the problem - circuit inverters or bulbs.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

MeinFreund, Thank you for the link. I will dismount it tonight and check if it's the same issue.

Selldoor, my reference to HDMI/DVI was because I've just replace the monitor by an old 19" one so I could work today and my U2410 is now sitting beside my desk not plugged to any graphic card. I did the flashlight test as you mentionned and yes, I still can see the menu once the backlight goes off.

I will dismount it as soon as I can after I finish my work and I'll keep you posted. Thank you for your help!

Comment

Be careful when you dismout it. Make sure you don't do any damage to that white paper layer as I did.

Comment

My second tube was carbonized like yours. I gently sand it up until it was cleaned. I power it up as is and it stayed lit for more than one minute but I had to hurry to my son's soccer game. When I returned the "screen saver logo" was gone. I cycled the power and the picture stayed for one or 2 minutes.

I put it back in place, confident and happy of the job but when I plugged it, same symptom :-(

The thing that I didn't do was to change the capacitors. Did you guys changed them also (because before doing the tube thing that would probably have been my first guess). The capacitors are visually impeccable. Unfortunately as I tought that the tube cleanup would fix the problem, reassemble the screen completly. I will order the caps from digikey or go to my local supplier if I have time tomorrow and give it another try later.

what do you think?

Comment

Yes, I replaced all capacitors before I cleaned the tube. But this didn't have any effect. Are you sure you cleaned all the tubes and have you checked that they turn on properly now (no flicker!). I was afraid to turn the monitor on dismounted .. but it was the only way to see if the tubes all turn on without flicker. My dirty tube turned on, but there was a little flicker before everything was shut down ... these tube sockets may have to be cleaned somehow, too ...

Comment

you should try the backlight tubes one by one, but I've got one of the inverter transformers shorted. try to remove them and measure their strengths. if only one of them is faulty, the monitor will not turn on, if not for a few seconds. sorry for English,

Comment

Today I had some time (Canada day here!) so I took some time to dismount the monitor again. Like you said Meinfreund, I manage to get the monitor turn on while dismounted and I saw on the same pole that I had previously cleaned that there was an electric arc forming in one of the graphite rubber (video enclosed in the attached zip file). I removed the two rubber and remarked that in the one forming the arc, the hole was much larger. Sorry, I took many pictures but forgot to take one of the rubber.

I've made a simple drawing. On the right you see a normal rubber. On the left, it's my broken rubber with the bigger hole (probably rendered bigger due to the electric arc over time. Like you will see on my drawing on the left, I ended up hanging the tube's pin midway between the crack and the hole. It now work like a charm! I don't know how many time this will do, but the image is perfect and I'm so happy as I was about to spend 300$ for another monitor (the U2413 is at 269$ CAD+tx until tomorrow!).

Thank you VERY much for your help!
                    Attached Files

Comment

THANK YOU, guys (MeinFreund, lynam)/ I had same problem, same lamp in backlight. I think the ark going cause the constricrion of monitor have a piece of plactic near beginning of that lamp.
                      p.s. I've never repair any gadgets before, it was my first)) sorry for my english.

Comment

how the heck do you disassemble these things? I pried the black front bezel plastic off, unscrewed the 4 rear screws and now the hardware still won't come out of the plastic even with a bit of prying.

I have the exact same problem, hopefully I can get to the bulbs somehow. Can not find any good instructions on google for this model.

Comment

You lift up the front bezel.
                          You must be real careful not to lift the bezel too far or you rip out the front bezel switch assembly.
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/bud...in=true&page=1
                          Last edited by budm; 02-10-2015, 11:13 PM.
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

thanks for the pics. It came off finally, I just had to pull a little harder than i thought to get the plastic shell completely off. switches survived, disassembled down to the bulbs, but not seeing any fireworks as described by some of the other guys. One of the bulbs is sort of flickering at one end. Whats the best way to remove the bulb from the rubber sockets? That looks really easy to break.

edit * closer inspection, i do have the exact same problem. 4th socket from the top s charred at the socket.

update * they are not that fragile. Fixed the socket. They pop right out from the bottom. Hope I can remember how to put this thing back together
                            Last edited by kyle382; 02-11-2015, 02:17 AM.

Comment

My friend had the exact same problem. Gave me the monitor and bought a new one.

I opened it up and low and behold, one of the contacts on a backlight tube was completely charred and black. I cleaned it up and put everything back together and it is good as new!

Comment

Originally posted by lynam View Post
                                I manage to get the monitor turn on while dismounted and I saw on the same pole that I had previously cleaned that there was an electric arc forming in one of the graphite rubber (video enclosed in the attached zip file). I removed the two rubber and remarked that in the one forming the arc, the hole was much larger.
                                On the right you see a normal rubber. On the left, it's my broken rubber with the bigger hole (probably rendered bigger due to the electric arc over time. Like you will see on my drawing on the left, I ended up hanging the tube's pin midway between the crack and the hole.
                                I also had the same problem. I tried the tinfoil suggestion elsewhere, and it seemed to work, until I left the monitor on a while longer and then it was turning off again. So my guess is I still don't have good contact.

anyone know if it's possible to order these rubber ends? and if so, from where?!

Comment

I don't know where you could order these, but maybe you are lucky and find a faulty U2410 on ebay ?

Comment

Today I had some time (Canada day here!) so I took some time to dismount the monitor again. Like you said Meinfreund, I manage to get the monitor turn on while dismounted and I saw on the same pole that I had previously cleaned that there was an electric arc forming in one of the graphite rubber (video enclosed in the attached zip file). I removed the two rubber and remarked that in the one forming the arc, the hole was much larger. Sorry, I took many pictures but forgot to take one of the rubber.

I've made a simple drawing. On the right you see a normal rubber. On the left, it's my broken rubber with the bigger hole (probably rendered bigger due to the electric arc over time. Like you will see on my drawing on the left, I ended up hanging the tube's pin midway between the crack and the hole. It now work like a charm! I don't know how many time this will do, but the image is perfect and I'm so happy as I was about to spend 300$ for another monitor (the U2413 is at 269$ CAD+tx until tomorrow!).

Thank you VERY much for your help!
                                    Worked like a charm. Saw the arc, Bend the pin a littlle bit and its runiing like new....thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                    X