Samsung UN60ES6100F black screen with standby led flashing 5 times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN60ES6100F black screen with standby led flashing 5 times

I got a not working Samsung UN60ES6100F tv from a friend. When I try to turn it on by pressing the power on switch, only the standby red light comes on and keep on flashing 5 times and repeats. The screen stays black and nothing will be shown.

I open the back panel and found nothing visually wrong. The fuses are also tested to be normal. If I disconnect the cable connecting the power supply board and the main board and turn on the power, then the black light will show.

Could someone please kindly help me to fix this tv?
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung UN60ES6100F black screen with standby led flashing 5 times

Suspect mainboard, try test #3 below.

Comment

Disconnect the ribbon cable from the tcon to the panel one side at a time to see if one side is working. If you get picture one side, the panel has a fault. If not, the main board is suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
        Suspect mainboard, try test #3 below.
        I got the following results.

Plugged in and power off:
        PIN 1 NC = 1.1mV
        PIN 2 NC = 0V
        PIN 3 OD ON = 0.6mV
        PIN 4 NC = 0V
        PIN 5 GND = 0V
        PIN 6 PWM DIM2 = 0V
        PIN 7 B12.8V = 0V
        PIN 8 PWM DIM1 = 0V
        PIN 9 B12.8V = 0V
        PIN 10 B12.8V = 0V
        PIN 11 Vamp = 0V
        PIN 12 BLU_ON = 0V
        PIN 13 Vamp = 0V
        PIN 14 GND = 0V
        PIN 15 GND = 0V
        PIN 16 GND = 0V
        PIN 17 B5.3V = 0V
        PIN 18 A5V = 5.41V
        PIN 19 B5.3V = 0V
        PIN 20 PS-ON = 0.258V

Plugged in and power on:
        PIN 1 NC = 3.21V
        PIN 2 NC = 3.21V
        PIN 3 OD ON = 1.677V
        PIN 4 NC = 3.21V
        PIN 5 GND = -135mV
        PIN 6 PWM DIM2 = 0/1.94V
        PIN 7 B12.8V = 12.34V
        PIN 8 PWM DIM1 = 0/1.88V
        PIN 9 B12.8V = 12.34V
        PIN 10 B12.8V = 12.34V
        PIN 11 Vamp = 12.34V
        PIN 12 BLU_ON = 51.7mV
        PIN 13 Vamp = 12.34V
        PIN 14 GND = 0V
        PIN 15 GND = -133mV
        PIN 16 GND = -91.6mV
        PIN 17 B5.3V = 5.27V
        PIN 18 A5V = 5.26V
        PIN 19 B5.3V = 5.27V
        PIN 20 PS-ON = 3.25V
        Attached Files

Comment

PIN 12 BLU_ON = 51.7mV Is too low, is signal to turn on backlights and comes from mainboard.

Comment

. Place the measuring device on the BLU-ON pin
            2. Plug the TV into the socket and turn it on
            3. See if the voltage rises to about 3V.
            4. If yes the motherboard is ok.
            5. Place the measuring device on the cathode of the diode D9251.
            6. Read what is the maximum voltage value. If I see right on the board he writes that it must be 352v.
            7. If the voltage increases to the maximum value and then decreases you have problems on the backlight.

Comment

Please skip my post.
              Last edited by budm; 12-19-2019, 03:20 PM.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
                Disconnect the ribbon cable from the tcon to the panel one side at a time to see if one side is working. If you get picture one side, the panel has a fault. If not, the main board is suspect.
                No, I did not get picture on one side.

Comment

Originally posted by yokoono View Post
                  . Place the measuring device on the BLU-ON pin
                  2. Plug the TV into the socket and turn it on
                  3. See if the voltage rises to about 3V.
                  4. If yes the motherboard is ok.
                  5. Place the measuring device on the cathode of the diode D9251.
                  6. Read what is the maximum voltage value. If I see right on the board he writes that it must be 352v.
                  7. If the voltage increases to the maximum value and then decreases you have problems on the backlight.
                  No, the voltage on BLU-ON pin does not rise to 3V.
                  The cathode of the diode D9251 rises to about 220V only and stays there.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                    Please skip my post.
                    I got 3V at BLU-ON when the connecting cable is disconnected.
                    Yes, the back light will stay on.
                    Last edited by tmhobadcap; 12-19-2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Then the problem is on the motherboard. Do not order backlight startup: processor, software, power supply missing, etc.
                      You can also disconnect the ribbon between the motherboard and the panel and see if the backlight starts.
                      Last edited by yokoono; 12-19-2019, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Then the problem is on the motherboard. Do not order backlight startup: processor, software, power supply missing, etc.
                        You can also disconnect the ribbon between the motherboard and the panel and see if the backlight starts.
                        The backlight will be on when the ribbon is disconnected.

Comment

Most probably the problem is from the motherboard. Besides from replacing the motherboard, should I try reflowing some of the components on the motherboard?

Comment

Processor.

Comment

Processor.
                              Is the processor the one covered by a grey substance as shown on the sixth photo of my first post?

Comment

Yes.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all your help.
                                  I will buy a heat gun and try to reflow the mainboard. Any further comments are welcomed.
                                  I will report if my reflow is successful or not later because I will be out of town for about 4 months after Christmas.
                                  Happy Holidays!

Comment

You have to be careful with the temps on a reflow, too hot will kill the chip, too low won't melt the solder, maybe check several youtube videos, some results are better than others, when done with reflow test to see if you get display if you do turn it off and put a ceramic heatsink on the chip, which is to try to keep it from overheating.
                                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-20-2019, 03:08 PM.

Comment

What happen if you have all the cables back in place but without the BL-ON wire connected, do you get the image and all the function of the TV?
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                        You have to be careful with the temps on a reflow, too hot will kill the chip, too low won't melt the solder, maybe check several youtube videos, some results are better than others, when done with reflow test to see if you get display if you do turn it off and put a ceramic heatsink on the chip, which is to try to keep it from overheating.
                                        I guess the grey substance is the original ceramic heatsink on the processor chip. Should I remove it before heating the chip or should I just heat the heatsink directly? It seems the heatsink is stuck/bonded to the chip tightly. Is there a safe way to remove the heatsink without damaging the chip?

Comment

Working...
                                        X