Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung UN60ES6100F black screen with standby led flashing 5 times

Originally posted by budm View Post
    What happen if you have all the cables back in place but without the BL-ON wire connected, do you get the image and all the function of the TV?
    I have just tried that. When the power is switched on, the backlight is on but there is no image and no other function of the tv. After about 2 or 3 seconds, the backlight then goes off for a second and then flashes once and comes back on again. At the same time, the standby led starts flashing 5 times. And then this sequence will be repeated.
    Last edited by tmhobadcap; 12-20-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

That means the problem is just not the lacking the of BL-ON signal, if it is just the BL-ON signal problem then it will be easy to modify the circuit to use other signal to simulate the BL-ON signal.
      Last edited by budm; 12-20-2019, 09:35 PM.
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by tmhobadcap View Post
        I guess the grey substance is the original ceramic heatsink on the processor chip. Should I remove it before heating the chip or should I just heat the heatsink directly? It seems the heatsink is stuck/bonded to the chip tightly. Is there a safe way to remove the heatsink without damaging the chip?
        It looks like a thermal pad, is it solid or flimsy like thermal pads are?
        Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-21-2019, 03:08 AM.

Comment

I guess the grey substance is the original ceramic heatsink on the processor chip. Should I remove it before heating the chip or should I just heat the heatsink directly? It seems the heatsink is stuck/bonded to the chip tightly. Is there a safe way to remove the heatsink without damaging the chip?
          Twist it off, rather than trying to prise it up.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
            It looks like a thermal pad, is it solid or flimsy like thermal pads are?
            Thanks a lot for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              Twist it off, rather than trying to prise it up.
              Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Actually the passive heatsinks don't really do much to cool the chip, and before certain members start chiming in on how great passive cooling is, it really doesn't do much, proven fact, if it's your own tv and not a customer, I recommend a fan solution to help keep the chip from overheating.
                Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-21-2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Actually the passive heatsinks don't really do much to cool the chip, and before certain members start chiming in on how great passive cooling is, it really doesn't do much, proven fact, if it's your own tv and not a customer, I recommend a fan solution to help keep the chip from overheating.
                  Yes, if I can fix this tv, I will add a fan to it.

Comment

Members that actually fix with real experience? The TV is 6 years old, the ceramic heatsink has done its job. If they were that bad every Samsung would have failed by now.
                    A fan isn't required as the chip isn't overheating.

Comment

Members with real experience should know that every model is not the same, just because a tv did not come back does not mean it hasn't failed and been tossed in the bin. Or are you saying that you know better than Louis Rossmann and everyone else?
                      Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-22-2019, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Members that actually fix with real experience? The TV is 6 years old, the ceramic heatsink has done its job. If they were that bad every Samsung would have failed by now.
                        A fan isn't required as the chip isn't overheating.
                        You don't have any idea what the chip is doing OR do you have a crystal ball or one of those magic 8 balls?????

Comment

Members with real experience should know that every model is not the same, just because a tv did not come back does not mean it hasn't failed and been tossed in the bin. Or are you saying that you know better than Louis Rossmann and everyone else?
                          It's not an nvidia chip but I wouldn't expect you to understand the difference.

You don't have any idea what the chip is doing OR do you have a crystal ball or one of those magic 8 balls?????
                          It's either dead and fitting a fan won't fix it, or it's BGA failure which isn't caused by overheating.

Comment

It's not an nvidia chip but I wouldn't expect you to understand the difference.

It's either dead and fitting a fan won't fix it, or it's BGA failure which isn't caused by overheating.
                            The following causes can be listed as the major cause of solder cracks. Solder cracks occur when heat stress is applied to a solder joint due to the difference in the thermal coefficients of the MLCC and PCB, in an environment in which changes between high temperatures and low temperatures are repeated, very simple and basic, just like u...BUT I WOULD NOT EXPECT U TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. But I would expect such a statement from such a real time fixer like u.
                            Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-22-2019, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all your help.
                              I will buy a heat gun and try to reflow the mainboard. Any further comments are welcomed.
                              I will report if my reflow is successful or not later because I will be out of town for about 4 months after Christmas.
                              Happy Holidays!
                              I am back with a heat gun after 3 months out of town.

I have tried to reflow the processor. This time when power is turn on, I get the black light on but no image on the screen. Also, the standby red light comes on and keep on flashing 5 times and repeats like before.

When testing the connector from mainboard to powerboard, I got the following voltages.

PIN 1 NC = 3.3V
                              PIN 2 NC = 3.3V
                              PIN 3 OD ON = 1.786V
                              PIN 4 NC = 3.3V
                              PIN 5 GND = 0V
                              PIN 6 PWM DIM2 = 1.94-2.04V
                              PIN 7 B12.8V = 12.35V
                              PIN 8 PWM DIM1 = 1.94-2.04V
                              PIN 9 B12.8V = 12.47V
                              PIN 10 B12.8V = 12.36V
                              PIN 11 Vamp = 12.47V
                              PIN 12 BLU_ON = 0V
                              PIN 13 Vamp = 12.34V
                              PIN 14 GND = 0V
                              PIN 15 GND = 0V
                              PIN 16 GND = 0V
                              PIN 17 B5.3V = 5.39V
                              PIN 18 A5V = 5.4V
                              PIN 19 B5.3V = 5.39V
                              PIN 20 PS-ON = 3.33V

Did I damage the processor during the reflow?
                              What further can I do to try fix this tv?

Comment

So backlight are on now but no picture right? did you check the tcon fuse, see if you have about 12 volts on each side of the fuse, black - probe on metal chassis ground red + probe on each end of fuse.
                                Last edited by nomoresonys; 04-10-2020, 09:07 PM.

Comment

OP post #34:
                                  PIN 1 NC = 3.3V
                                  PIN 2 NC = 3.3V
                                  PIN 12 BLU_ON = 0V

That must be an reading error. You have backlights but BL-ON is 0V so that cannot be right. N.C. pins which are Not Connected should not be showing 3.3V
                                  But at this you do have backlights now but no Video, then check the Voltage on the T-CON fuse as suggested.
                                  Do you get sound at this point?
                                  Last edited by budm; 04-10-2020, 09:39 PM.
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Could try unplug wifi module if equipped, see if you get a display. Maybe unhook the ir board and see if tv works with button board on tv if there is one, might not be the problem but it's easy to check.

Comment

So backlight are on now but no picture right? did you check the tcon fuse, see if you have about 12 volts on each side of the fuse, black - probe on metal chassis ground red + probe on each end of fuse.
                                      Thanks for your reply.
                                      Yes, now backlight is on but no picture.
                                      Sorry, I do not know which is the T-con fuse. Could you please mark it on the attached photos so that I can check accordingly?
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by tmhobadcap; 04-10-2020, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Your T-CON fuse is the white SMT component that i circled.
                                        Attached Files
                                        -Thomas
                                        I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                          OP post #34:
                                          PIN 1 NC = 3.3V
                                          PIN 2 NC = 3.3V
                                          PIN 12 BLU_ON = 0V

That must be an reading error. You have backlights but BL-ON is 0V so that cannot be right. N.C. pins which are Not Connected should not be showing 3.3V
                                          But at this you do have backlights now but no Video, then check the Voltage on the T-CON fuse as suggested.
                                          Do you get sound at this point?
                                          I have double checked the readings. They are okay. Since the pins are arranged in two columns as shown on the photo, if I made mistake on the columns, then the correct readings should be as follows. Would that make more sense?

PIN 2 NC = 3.3V
                                          PIN 4 NC = 1.786V
                                          PIN 6 PWM DIM2 = 0V
                                          PIN 8 PWM DIM1 = 12.35V
                                          PIN 10 B12.8V = 12.35V
                                          PIN 12 BLU_ON = 12.47V
                                          PIN 14 GND = 12.47V
                                          PIN 16 GND = 0V
                                          PIN 18 A5V = 5.39V
                                          PIN 20 PS-ON = 5.39V

PIN 1 NC = 3.3V
                                          PIN 3 OD ON = 3.3V
                                          PIN 5 GND = 1.94-2.04V
                                          PIN 7 B12.8V =1.94-2.04V
                                          PIN 9 B12.8V = 12.36V
                                          PIN 11 Vamp = 0V
                                          PIN 13 Vamp = 0V
                                          PIN 15 GND = 0V
                                          PIN 17 B5.3V = 5.4V
                                          PIN 19 B5.3V = 3.33V

Yes, I got 12V at both ends of the T-CON fuse. (Thanks ngth82 for advising which component is the T-CON fuse)

At this point, I do not get sound from the tv. May be the tv is at the mode (such as menu mode) which should not have sound.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X