Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Caps in the Movies !!!!!!

Has anyone ever spotted any?

Around 1:26 in My Mom's New Boyfriend there is a closeup of a board with a 2x3 layout of 6 caps where 4 are clearly swollen and probably all 6.

I'm just wondering if I might be the first person on the planet to see bad caps in the movies. Probably not, it's almost impossible to be the first at anything after the internet.

Anyhow, I was quite excited to notice them - it would be hard not to, the closeup is very!

Re: Bad Caps in the Movies !!!!!!

oh I thought you mean the website. I found it on Prime, free. Got a screenshot, what you guys think this circuit really is (was)? Doesn't look like a prop
    Attached Files
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

And, I thought that was exciting in a strange way, when I saw bad caps for real at a PC recycling place in Windsor, Vermont, probably back in 2008 and 2009!
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        oh I thought you mean the website. I found it on Prime, free. Got a screenshot, what you guys think this circuit really is (was)? Doesn't look like a prop
        Might be a MSI BX Master? That LED + cap arrangement kinda looks like one.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

It definitely looks Pentium II / Pentium 3 era with that golden-green PCB and "CET" TO-262 MOSFETs.

It probably is just a prop - most likely they got a bunch of old hardware from a recycling center somewhere or their own old computer inventory (on that note, I suppose it's interesting to think how movie studios find their props, where to they keep the stuff, and how do they decide what to keep long term and what not to.)

BTW, I also thought the tittle of this thread suggested that badcaps.net forums was featured somewhere in a movie. Now that would be fun to see.
          (And free advertising for TC?)

Comment

Those of you who researched the device, did you watch the movie and notice them like me? or just ran with my tip?

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
            And, I thought that was exciting in a strange way, when I saw bad caps for real at a PC recycling place in Windsor, Vermont, probably back in 2008 and 2009!
            Wow, I would say over 50% of XP computers that I've had had them. (I was doing a neural net project and had many running at the same time training.) Power supplies too.

I even contacted Jackon I believe and scolded them for their bad caps and that it would be a nice goodwill gesture to send me replacements. So they sent me bags of 25-50 for 3 or 4 sizes that I encountered bad. All for free. I have to compliment them.

Comment

Jackcon was sending people replacement caps many years ago. I don't think they were much better.

Comment

Working...
              X