On board HD4200 vs 9500GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On board HD4200 vs 9500GT

Old Setup: Asus A8N-SLI deluxe mobo/athlon 64 3200/1 gb ddr400 kingston/ Asus 9500GT setup running XP Pro [32 bit]. Also, I have the Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1600 TV Tuner card fed from a standard Directv set-top box. [No HD]. The tuner card was using over 65% system resouces when running without the pause buffer.
    I have upgraded to Asus M4A785TD-V EVO mobo/AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Quad Core/KVR1333D3N9K2/4G and win 7 home premium 64-bit. I'm using the on-board graphics for now, does anybody know if my 9500GT is better than the Radeon HD4200 other than the shared memory issue? The 9500GT card is PCI-express x16.
    Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Re: On board HD4200 vs 9500GT

I came across this Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart article @ Tom's Hardware which shows the 9500 GT is 5-6 tiers higher than the HD 4200 depending on what RAM it uses.

Comment

the onboard 4200 ATI chip is based off of a Radeon 3450. The 9500GT is a renamed 8600GT - whose competitor was the Radeon 3670. So yes, the 9500GT is a lot faster.

Comment

i'm pretty sure the 9500 is better. both are the same gen, but 4200 is integrated, so 9500 pretty much wins by default.

Comment

9500GT is a nice card. It is about the highest performance you can go without fan cooling.
          I placed a lot of these cards in client machines for business users wanting to see the occasional movie or video.

Moving up the scale into Radeon territory, the HD 4770 with GDDR5 memory is as fast as you can go and still have an S-Video output. These are scarce, and superceded by higher performance and hotter running cards, but no more S-Video.

I found a new one from XFX, and will be using it for my HTPC.
          The intent is using it with a Scythe Slot-Rafter and pair of 80mm 2-ball fans, wired in series to undervolt each to 6 volts for silence. I use this cooler a lot for passive cards. The 2-ball fans do not have the sleeve bearing failures that happen when running the fan axis vertical.

I've not tried the 9500GT for 1080p.
          I will be trying the HD 4770 for this, since Hulu-to-TV shits its pants on HD streaming. I don't have a 1080p capable monitor, so cannot test it on my workstation.

Comment

bgavin - my particular 9500GT does have a large cooling fan along with a copper heatsink. Also, it has 512MB GDDR3, and the GPU is oc'd to 600MHz on the core clock.

Here is the link for my model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121271
            Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Nice card... HDMI also.

This Sparkle 9500 is one I've placed in several client machines.
              The one I had to recap was the MSI equivalent.
              It blew three Sanyo greens, 1500/6.3 which surprised me.
              I replaced with MCZ at 1500/10v and it works fine.

This is the 2nd time I've seen all the caps blow on a PCIe card, but nothing on the board or PSU.

I'm having great success using the Scythe Slot Rafter with two 80mm 2-ball fans wired in series to undervolt at 6v each.
              They are very quiet, and move sufficient air for the passive sink video cards.
              The 2-ball bearing arrangement avoids sleeve bearing failures from running with a vertical axis.
              I want to try this on my active HD 4770 Radeon, but fear I will have to step up the fan speed, or create a shroud, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by top_cat View Post
                the onboard 4200 ATI chip is based off of a Radeon 3450. The 9500GT is a renamed 8600GT - whose competitor was the Radeon 3670. So yes, the 9500GT is a lot faster.
                9500 GT appears to not be renamed 8600 GT. The 8600 GT appears to be an older process than the 9500 GT.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Well, the HD4200 is enough for low res gaming and more than enough for video playback.

Comment

8600GT appears to be from 2007.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                      9500 GT appears to not be renamed 8600 GT. The 8600 GT appears to be an older process than the 9500 GT.
                      The process is shrank and the core clock slightly bumped, but there's not enough to say it's really a new card.

Comment

Originally posted by top_cat View Post
                        The process is shrank and the core clock slightly bumped, but there's not enough to say it's really a new card.
                        But, that alone may allow for a real high OC. Someone reported the 9500 GTs OC'ing well.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Working...
                        X