Acer ASPIRE 5538 display problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer ASPIRE 5538 display problem

I'm trying to repair this notebook: my friend was working and suddenly the image became corrupted with colored horizontal stripes.

He switched it off and restarted it but the screen was white with the left side darker than the right side.

I replaced the display, the original one was LG LP156WH3 but the vendor sent me a Samsung LTN156AT35 writing it was the correct replacement.
    As far as I found with Google the LG and Samsung display have the same features.

Now turning on the notebook the screen is completely black but the led are on.
    If I connect a display using the VGA or HDMI port I can see the notebook boot and Windows.

The last thing I can try it is to replace the display cable but I doubt the problem is there and moreover it costs 25...30€ and I don't want to waste money.
    In my opinion the problem is the main board, but I want your opinion, I hope somebody has already solved such kind of problem.

Thanks
    Gianni
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
    H. J. Brown

Re: Acer ASPIRE 5538 display problem

how about running it with the screen out of the lid, that way you can wiggle and bend screen cable to see if anything happens (at the hinge area)
    that may eliminate the cable

Comment

Hi trebo I've not closed the display, it is still open.
      I already tried to move the cable near the mobo and near the display connector but nothing happened.

I have also disconnected the cable from mobo and I cleaned the connector with a contact cleaner spray.

Thanks
      Gianni
      "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
      H. J. Brown

Comment

some motherboards have a tiny smd fuse on them near screen cable socket
        did you by any chance change the screen with the battery connected???
        if you did and its LED then the chances are that you have taken something out on the M/B

Comment

Absolutely no. I have removed everything before to replace the display.

I wanted to check the cable as first step, and to do it I had to disassemble completely the notebook because the LVDS connector is on the bottom side and to reach it you have to remove keyboard and the top cover.
          I have connected the battery only to check the image, I remove always the battery before doing something or using screwdrivers... I don't want to damage what is good.

I think if it is present a fuse for the display it should be OK because I see the LED light, the panel is working but don't show anything.
          I can post some photos if they can help.

Ciao
          Gianni
          H. J. Brown

Comment

Working...
          X