Killing multimeters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killing multimeters...

I can't believe I have yet to destroy a multimeter after all these years...

The only ways I've "abused" a meter was having the cheap probes break. Once I had one (small analog) meter I left the probes plugged in and threw into a backpack with other stuff in it, and cracked the probes. Once the probe got overstretched and broke the wire inside of the insulation. And many times the wires broke at the probe, needing it to be resoldered or something.

But I have yet to fry a meter electrically...

One of my meters, the old Eico 555, the Rx1 resistor was burned out when I salvaged it, which is typical of trying to measure voltage in the resistance range I find. I'm glad I've yet to destroy one this way...

So how have you killed your multimeters?

Re: Killing multimeters...

I've only killed two but the same way. Slipped probes when taking shunt plate current measurements on tube guitar amp output tubes. The milliamp scale doesn't like 400vdc. I learned and stopped doing it that way too.
    Last edited by SteveNielsen; 11-21-2015, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I have burned out fuses before (a 2A on my Viz and a 500mA on a pocket (not freebie) HFT meter), both due to leaving them in current mode when trying to measure low voltage DC. This is clearly a "fail" but the meters are still fine after replacing the fuses.

After rereading my post I guess it wasn't too clear, that Eico 555 I had posted a while ago I got it when someone abandoned it since it was broken. I don't know why I just could not think of how someone could burn that resistor until it somehow dawned on me how to do it.

The next thing that I had a "whudunit" situation when I rescued a vacuum tube voltmeter that had multiple failures. Two of which - a bad connection and a shorted probe jack - made sense (cold solder joint, and water/condensation) but the third one - a fried probe resistor - didn't. But that shorted probe jack and trying to measure a high voltage might actually explain how that resistor got fried...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
        So how have you killed your multimeters?
        Just yesterday ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...39&postcount=1

I have never fried a meter or blown a fuse, but I have fixed a lot of meters and helped others online fix theirs after an "oops" moment.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Haven't so far, luckily.

My cheap DSE meter (an 830 based model) did have self-destructing probes though.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

the few times a meter died on me it was the rotary switch.
            my current one is starting to go, i feel a UNI-T coming soon!

probes/cables are another matter - they will go in one way or another.
            you can pay anything from 1$ to 20$ for a basic probe/cable set or as much as 70$ for a full-kit from Keysite (Agilant)

Comment

13 years ago my Voltcraft DMM died. Ever since I got Fluke and Agilent. 2 Years ago my then new (1 year old) U1253 Agilent DMM went crazy. Sent it back and got a brand new one with calibration. woot! None of the Fluke's have died, but one casing replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                probes/cables are another matter - they will go in one way or another.
                The good ones last a bit longer than several weeks....
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

I killed my last multimeter, a Craftsman $40 one with 400 amp clamp. Dropped it 12 feet onto concrete floor. Failed miserably as the clamp shattered internally. I replaced it with a $90 Southwire version from big blue. The amp clamp portion reads up to 400 amps both ac and dc. Great for checking alternator output current as well as volts.
                  Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Never killed one but a cheap CHY 17 multimeter I forgot outside for a few days after having worked on my car.
                    It rained heavily on it, but after disassembly/cleaning and new battery it still works to this day
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I have yet to drop a multimeter, or they have survived the drops...

Yes I did see that other post from Goontron alas I didn't want to derail his post with horror stories

The two meters that I burned fuses on are my two "worst" meters in terms of "user interface" - That is, it's not obvious from a distance what mode the meter is in. The 2A was in my Viz (and it's no wonder why RCA no longer makes meters) and the 500mA was in a HFT meter. If only that select switch was more clear what mode it's in, I've even left it on and killed its battery (and it uses those A23 batteries... ARGH!)

As for probes, the probes on my Fluke are indeed very good and don't know when if ever they'll break. My "more expensive" HFT meter (which is actually a Mastech) also has very decent probes, but the cheaper ones are indeed very crappy. Most have plastic wire, but the Fluke feels like rubber. The "more expensive" HFT almost feels rubbery but not quite...
                      Last edited by eccerr0r; 11-22-2015, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Fluke versus Harbor Freight multimeter at high voltage (about 5 minutes in): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEoazQ1zuUM

Comment

Good video for all those who complain Fluke et al are expensive... cheaper than skin grafts!
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

TLDW...

How much damage from measuring 700VAC in the 10A current range?

Yes, the freebie/less than $6 HFT meter doesn't even have a fuse... though I don't think I want to even test my Fluke in current mode on 12VDC...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                              Yes, the freebie/less than $6 HFT meter doesn't even have a fuse...
                              the probe-cables are the fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                the probe-cables are the fuse.
                                That, or the weak PCB tracks/solder joints inside the meter are the fuse!

I was appalled when I opened the meter, the 10A range "daughter board" was connected to the main board by two solder bridges...

Comment

Dead Fluke
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by yz7myg; 12-01-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

metal oxide everywhere - that must have gone up like a flare!

Comment

Not even between the high current terminals...I wonder what caused that failure?

I think I threw out the dead resistors that I've replaced in my salvaged meters, but true, rather a dead resistor than a flaming meter.

Comment

How'd that meter go up?
                                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X