Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic displays still good nowadays?

Hi Everyone,

Just got myself a Viewsonic 43" 4K UHD monitor, however it's my second DOA unit already with regards to dead pixels. My current one also has about 6 dead pixels, but a bit better since it's in the corners and not smack bang in the middle. Strange thing with this display is that the pixels die in clusters, not just pixels alone, at first glance I thought it was dust in the monitor during production - but when Viewsonic got in touch it was dead pixels.

Here in Oz, we get 30 days with Viewsonic with regards to dead pixels where they give you a brand new replacement as in my case. The service was 10/10 however with regards to this. After 30 days you are on your own and the warranty only covers other faults not related to pixels from what I have read (correct me if wrong).

Curious to know now... is Viewsonic still good quality for displays? More importantly, who makes their panels? Very competitive pricing at $799 for 43" UHD monitor whereas Dell/LG/Everyone else is $1200+

I'm not too bothered about the pixel thing as it's insignificant, but I am curious to know. My brother has a generic brand AOC 34" QHD monitor and even that hasn't got a single dead pixel or mark after years of use!

Thanks.
    Last edited by stevo1210; 06-17-2018, 03:52 AM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Viewsonic displays still good nowadays?

I don't care for ViewSonic, but that's just me.

Comment

^Ditto. I've seen enough of thier stuff be turds that I personally don't bother with them. To me, from what I've seen, thier stuff feels really flimsy, like a lot of no-name brands... it makes my skin crawl.

Back in the day, sure, with a recap you'd generally have a good (or good enough) unit. Now, with so many options with better track records and build quality, why bother?

Personally I've had good luck with my Dell and HP units (various OEMs), and OK luck with acer. Used CAD/Business grade units have been my go-to for a lot of things... built like tanks, and if you look in the right place you can get good performace for dirt cheap. Then again, I'm not looking for 4K (or any fancy color correction), so you're in a different market.

Can you get your money back and go for a different brand with a better reputation for quality? Your issue isn't necessarily viewsonic (they're likely using a 3rd party's panel like most other brands), but dead pixels isn't the only way monitors fail. Unless you plan to junk it in a year and buy new (and also use cash for toilet paper), I'd look elsewhere.

Edit- AOC is generic? I've seen them in stores for years... Sure, not a top tier Samsung/LG curved 3D UHD whatever, but they're not fly-by-night either. That said, a monitor is more than a display panel, and if the stuff powering/controlling the panel fails, you still have a dead monitor. It's possible to have a good panel attached to crappy guts. Time will tell on that front.
      Last edited by ratdude747; 06-17-2018, 10:15 PM.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

RD, I had the mindset of 10 years ago when I saw some posts here about Viewsonic being good. Clearly I wasn’t too updated on this matter and got myself a Viewsonic thinking they were OK. Guess I made a bit of a mistake as times have changed.

Gotta agree though my last unit was a HP ZR2240 business S-IPS display, no dead pixels etc however had too many hours on it being an ex lease and the panel colour was too “off” for the photo work I do on a daily basis. I’m more in the market for a colour correct display than 4k - the 4k was an added bonus as was the extra screen estate at 43” making my workflow easier.

As for the return, it’s not happening. We don’t have flexible return policies like in the USA. Once you buy it you are stuck with it unless you can prove the goods were deemed unsatisfactory and effects its use, in which dead pixels do not. I am now stuck with this panel but I might donate it to my mother for her birthday in a months time as she likes to watch Netflix on computer movies... she currently has a 32” Phillips monitor (very good with no pixel issues).

When I mentioned AOC as generic, it’s because they don’t really exist here. Very uncommon brand. Usually stores only stock LG, Samsung, Asus or BenQ as thier monitor brands. Speaking of BenQ are they any good? I see a lot of the photography community using BenQ monitors, particularly the PD series monitors??? Either that or Dell Ultrasharp and Eizo colouredge.
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          but dead pixels isn't the only way monitors fail.
          IIRC, dead pixels were mainly back in the Core 2-era or the early-socket-775-era, LOL. Monitors back then seemed more borderline than the PC monitors of the 2010s.

Looks a lot like bad pixels became rare for LCD panels manufactured after 2008. (or early-2009)

I remembered wanting to experiment with an LCD monitor and got my first one in the forth quarter of 2008, IIRC, and that was around the time that I was seeing an alarming amount of bad pixel reports! Well, perhaps needless to say, I went back to using mainly CRTs in the 2010s, before December 26, 2015. Because of most LCDs having gradient issues (turns out that was because before 2015 or 2014, they usually were TNs) and possible common-early-failure...
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-18-2018, 02:15 AM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I ended up with plan B up above, donated my brand new Viewsonic to mum for her Netflix movies. She loves every inch of it!

Meanwhile I am using her old (well 3 month old) Phillips 32" IPS LED display. No dead pixels and colour is spot on accurate as well (even more than the Viewsonic 10 bit panel - this is only 6 bit) - makes me wonder why I even bothered with the Viewsonic to start with when I could just have taken my mother's screen!

Comment

Working...
            X