Help with Sony KDL-37S5500 TV Display issue please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Sony KDL-37S5500 TV Display issue please

Hello everyone thank you in advance for taking your time to help me solve this issue.

I have a screen that is showing a negative look or low pixel resolution. I have attached a photo here of the current issue.

I did some research and everyone pointed to a small chip on one PCB that's was the cause on the T-CON LVDS BOARD. So I managed to locate another board same version. I swapped out the board only not to have solved the problem to my disappointment.

So here I am asking if anyone has some advice in regards to this, is there another main cause.

All the cables where cleaned and re-seated.

I've also attached the board that I changed out.

Thank you all in advance for any help.
    Attached Files

Re: Help with Sony KDL-37S5500 TV Display issue please

Try a factory reset, no joy, try a firmware update, two pretty easy things to try. Can you take a better close up picture of the tcon? can't see any detail in that one.
    Last edited by nomoresonys; 02-01-2022, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Any other work done to it? Maybe wrong format.
      I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Good point Dskall, might need to go in and change the format.

Comment

Hi all

To nomoresonys : Please see attached files of T-con board close up.
          How do you propose to do factory reset, or a firmware update please.

To dskall :
          No other work to my knowledge.
          Maybe wrong format ( in which sense please)

Are you referring to bit i.e. 8 to 16 or 32 bit I could not see any setting that referred to this.

Thank you for assistants regarding this.
          Attached Files

Comment

write over here the main chip label of the t-con not clear at photo.. some certain chips known by Gama fault.

Comment

He has the RM5101 (AS15) gamma.

Comment

Check the VG voltages and right them down. The test points are VG1 ~ VG21
                VG1-- __
                VG2-- __

VG21-- __

The voltage should be fairly liner from VG1 to VG21

Comment

If those things check out, for the factory reset you can try this: menu options: Select Device Preferences → Reset → Factory data reset → Erase everything → Yes, might work your model may be different, would check the chip and all on tcon as suggested first.

Comment

He did say he replaced boards, but possible they both had same problem.

Comment

It is a sony, every time you sneeze you should update a sony, lol.

Comment

Hi everyone

Diah : I have attached better photo's in macro so you can read the chip ID better.

Lotas : Please see attached, does this chip have a gamma issue, and which chipset should I have to avoid this issue.

dskall : Yes I did think that myself as I can't confirm the other board that I purchased was good other than what the seller stated. If that's not correct then we are looking at a different problem but everyone leads to this card, to be the source of the issue.

R_J : Where are these test points VG1 ~ VG21 located you are referring to please.

Nomoresonys : I did reset the software when I went into the service side looking for a pixel bit size nothing so I reset and still the same no change.

How do I update the Sony having never done one before.

Thank you kindly for your help.
                        Attached Files

Comment

yours photo .. yes this is the fault gama chip

take look on this video

Comment

They are scattered but VG1 > vg19 are test points. I would access service menu and make sure you are on right lvds format.

Comment

Hi everyone

Diah: Do you know the best replacement chip that does not have gamma issues please.

Comment

Just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQrDV_AOg0

Same board he replace's the IC with AS15 G at 8.21 in the video and solves the issue.

Please correct me if I am wrong but the replacement IC's are
                                AS15F, AS15 G, AS15 U, AS15 H, AS15 HF, AS15 AF.

This replaces the:
                                RW5101
                                A0W936.1
                                0930A5TG

Advice please.

Comment

Originally posted by WiseMoves View Post
                                  Hi everyone

Diah: Do you know the best replacement chip that does not have gamma issues please.
                                  No guarantee on this chip.. could remain good over 15 years and more or after one months cut the gamma so replace it same with out thinking on good or better,

Comment

Originally posted by WiseMoves View Post
                                    Just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQrDV_AOg0

Same board he replace's the IC with AS15 G at 8.21 in the video and solves the issue.

Please correct me if I am wrong but the replacement IC's are
                                    AS15F, AS15 G, AS15 U, AS15 H, AS15 HF, AS15 AF.

This replaces the:
                                    RW5101
                                    A0W936.1
                                    0930A5TG

Advice please.
                                    It looks like the RM5101 replaces the AS15-xx

Comment

RM is Original Taiwanese .. AS Chinese ( Main Land ) COPY

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                        It looks like the RM5101 replaces the AS15-xx
                                        Indeed the AS15X replace this one. If you find a RM5101 they are far more expensive than the AS15x range. The RM5101 are far more reliable than the AS15X ics though I have found.

Comment

Working...
                                        X