Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS ROG G14 (GA401) battery spark, dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS ROG G14 (GA401) battery spark, dead.

I've eyeing a laptop used, which while being repasted died when the user installed the battery. It apparently sparked, and now it shows no sign of life. I'm guessing something shorted, as this is a common issue on the ASUS laptops with a metal clip on the battery connector.
    Has anyone dealt with these? It seems like it also happens on the G15 version.

Re: ASUS ROG G14 (GA401) battery spark, dead.

Hello, this metal clip is clearly an intentionnaly trap from Asus for the DIY change in laptops (ram, disk, battery). They claim they are green, but no.
    I remove this clip and replace by electrical tape.

I’m repairing an Asus with the same issue, I found 2sd high side mosfet dead (shorted drain source), and nothing else. I will inspect further before trying to power on. I keep you updated.

But there is no typical issue, the clip can destroy the charging chip or something else, Start by mosfets and measure resistance at all coils.

Comment

Originally posted by corrize View Post
      Hello, this metal clip is clearly an intentionnaly trap from Asus for the DIY change in laptops (ram, disk, battery). They claim they are green, but no.
      I remove this clip and replace by electrical tape.

I'm repairing an Asus with the same issue, I found 2sd high side mosfet dead (shorted drain source), and nothing else. I will inspect further before trying to power on. I keep you updated.

But there is no typical issue, the clip can destroy the charging chip or something else, Start by mosfets and measure resistance at all coils.
      Yeah, it will be replaced by tape when I'm done with it.

Do you have pictures of the shorted area? I'm picking it up wednesday, but I'm currently out of a thermal camera, so finding shorts will be a hassle

Comment

It’s another model (Zenbook). Mosfets are close the power jack.
        High side mosfets are used as switchs. So, not sure the thermal camera is the best tool. If one is shorted, probably no current passing and no hot spot.
        I guess meter is best. in this case

Comment

I'm back to report on my findings, hoping to get some help! I received the laptop today, and checked that it wouldn't boot. Had the AC adaptor in without the battery, and it was a no go. Took the charger out and measured for shorts along the mosfets, and they all reported good. As a last resort I held the start button in for 30 seconds, inserted the battery, and it booted! Everything other than AC charging seems to work. USB-C charging works, and the machine does not seem to throttle. I found that the CMOS battery is missing, so I will probably replace that, I've found plenty on eBay, would any of the three pin cmos batteries work?

To the main issue, what would cause AC charging not to work, when USB-C does? I've checked the charger after it has been connected to the laptop, and it still outputs 20V, so no circuit protection is triggered in the charger. Could it be the charging IC gone bad?

Comment

what would cause AC charging not to work, when USB-C does?
            I am not familiar with this model.

What is the official AC charger for this model ? Does it offer a USB Type C connector ? or is it the coax (barrel) old-school style ?

Respectively, how are you testing a USB C charger ? Is it a different brand name (not Asus) ?

Just trying to understand what is working and what is not working...

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
              I am not familiar with this model.

What is the official AC charger for this model ? Does it offer a USB Type C connector ? or is it the coax (barrel) old-school style ?

Respectively, how are you testing a USB C charger ? Is it a different brand name (not Asus) ?

Just trying to understand what is working and what is not working...
              The official charger is a 180w 20V barrel charger.

What do you mean by "testing USB C charger"? I'm using a Baseus 65W GaN charger to charge it right now.

EDIT: Just checked the port, 20V goes in, but immediatly dissapears at the first mosfet right beside the AC IN, weird.. I'll probably have to get the board out to see the other side.

EDIT2: Just noticed that the CMOS battery are not present in any of the press photos or Youtube videos I've found, so that might just be how it should be...
              Last edited by jacobtc; 04-20-2022, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Please sent hd pictures from the bozrd especially dcin section up and otherside. So for summery you do not have 20v on the beginning of the first mosfet, right. They are few components between so it must be easy to fíx this problem.

Probably the inductor fail or capacitor will be shorted but we need pictures.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
                  Please sent hd pictures from the bozrd especially dcin section up and otherside. So for summery you do not have 20v on the beginning of the first mosfet, right. They are few components between so it must be easy to fíx this problem.

Probably the inductor fail or capacitor will be shorted but we need pictures.

Regards
                  I will get pictures after work, need to get it disassemblied.
                  This is where I quickly meassured before going to work this morning:

https://imgur.com/QQoIESF

Comment

The photos are not clear we need to see which components are there, so the heatsink needs to be removed too.

And upload the picture here by advanced.

Regards

Steve

Comment

The photos are not clear we need to see which components are there, so the heatsink needs to be removed too.

And upload the picture here by advanced.

Regards

Steve
                      I know, the picture was found on some webpage, just wanted to visualize what mosfet I had meassured on. I will get better pictures of my own machine when I get home from work.

Comment

Got home and disassemblied the laptop. Got some new meassurements, and things changed a bit.
                        The charging IC gets a bit warm when plugged into AC.

The backside isn't that interesting, but I have included a picture nontheless.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by jacobtc; 04-21-2022, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Hi do measurent on the two first mosfet s-d , g-d and g-s on resistance mode 200ohms. Ol is fine. Problaby the second mosfet will be shorted and prefend the first mosfet to open, also do the measurent of current sensor to ground.

Good luck.

Comment

Hi do measurent on the two first mosfet s-d , g-d and g-s on resistance mode 200ohms. Ol is fine. Problaby the second mosfet will be shorted and prefend the first mosfet to open, also do the measurent of current sensor to ground.

Good luck.
                            You mean the mosfets at the DC in, correct? I'm just confused on how they can be the problem, when the laptop boots fine.

Comment

Hi if you have shorted second mosfet the laptop will boots but not charge battery because the charger ic can not detect it, and can not work.

Regards

Comment

Hi if you have shorted second mosfet the laptop will boots but not charge battery because the charger ic can not detect it, and can not work.

Regards
                                Okay, I will get some measurements done, how do I identify the current sensor on the board? I'm new to this

Comment

The current sensor will be a very low resistance resistor.

You can learn about such parts from the datasheet of the charger IC. The charger IC will always show a reference schematic and you will observe a low resistance component with a positive & negative side. This is only to identify the flow of the current into and the exit of the part.

The charger IC will then review the voltage upon the INPUT of this low resistor; then the voltage at the OUTPUT of this same part.

From these 2 readings, the charger IC can determine the current travelling through this rail by the voltage drop across the 2 pins.

On this topic, IF the trace is broken for either side of this important current sense resistor, then the charger IC believes there is too much of a voltage drop (since the trace is broken) - so immediately, the charger IC will turn OFF the mosfet to prevent damage.

Comment

Hi again,
                                    Thanks for your continued support!
                                    Got the mentioned meassurements done (I hope)

I'm guessing the current sensing resistors were the ones measurring 10ohm.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

From your last post - the large GREEN part with R010 is your current sense resistor for at least some power rail. The resistor is likely a 10 milli-ohm value. Current sense resistors are always super low in resistance as we know, resistance is futile so the lower the resistance, the less heat this part will have to dissipate to pass the current from one side to the other.

On the same post, you are showing some low resistance (13k / 81k) on the mosfets. These readings are low and very likely the mosfets are defective so each should be replaced.

Can you post the markings of each mosfet ? You should be able to source them from Aliexpress but often they can be subbed by other parts from TI or similar.

reference reading (see the resistance table):

http://electronicsbeliever.com/how-t...0good%20MOSFET.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                                        From your last post - the large GREEN part with R010 is your current sense resistor for at least some power rail. The resistor is likely a 10 milli-ohm value. Current sense resistors are always super low in resistance as we know, resistance is futile so the lower the resistance, the less heat this part will have to dissipate to pass the current from one side to the other.

On the same post, you are showing some low resistance (13k / 81k) on the mosfets. These readings are low and very likely the mosfets are defective so each should be replaced.

Can you post the markings of each mosfet ? You should be able to source them from Aliexpress but often they can be subbed by other parts from TI or similar.

reference reading (see the resistance table):

http://electronicsbeliever.com/how-t...0good%20MOSFET.
                                        The green resister meassured 0.25 Ohm

The first mosfet after DC IN is a PKCH2BB, the second one is a M3058M

EDIT: The first mosfet meassures 0.6V in Diode mode, and the second one meassures 0.5V.

EDIT: I will have a thermal camera at my disposal next week, so voltage injection would be a possibility, if that would help the troubleshooting.
                                        Last edited by jacobtc; 04-22-2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X