Panasonic DMR ES30V Power supply problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic DMR ES30V Power supply problem

Hi all...I hope all are healthy and well. I have this dual vcr/dvd recorder and player. I have had it for many years of good use. I found it dead today with no clock display. While I was testing voltage on one of the caps in power supply, power to unit came back. Can I assume that particular cap is bad...or does this clue us in on other problems? Thanks Al

Re: Panasonic DMR ES30V Power supply problem

or dry cracked solder joints, or leaking cap juice into through holes. Hard to say without pics. If caps go bad, they are high in ESR when cold. Next time when it does this, plug the VCR in and heat up the caps with a hair dryer to 50C. If it turns itself on, cap problem.

Comment

I would replace C1108 (33µf/35v) That's the vcc cap. in the primary. Now if we knew which cap you were talking about, that might help.
      Last edited by R_J; 04-16-2020, 05:24 PM.

Comment

So..lost power again on vcr. I used the hair dryer heat to bring it back, to no avail. Now, my voltage testing does not bring power. C1108 is marked on board, but there is not a cap there.I am getting voltages on one side of board..but not the other. Attached pics of power supply board. thanks Al

Comment

The half of board with ac cord ...gets power the other side does not
          Attached Files

Comment

Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I would do a blanket cap replacement on the power supply board for a start.
              I had a friend that was in the trade when these and similar Panasonic's of this era were current and he always stated that they used cheap caps so they wouldn't last �� and from what I've experienced he was right , ironically Panasonic make some of the best caps!! But didn't use them in their own stuff.

Comment

It might help to upload a larger picture than the thumbnail. Try replacing the cap beside the heatsink in the primary side
                Attached Files
                Last edited by R_J; 04-18-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

also check the back of the power supply for bad solder joints, specifically on heavy or heat sink mounted parts. And as RJ already said, change that little cap next to the heat sink.
                  Last edited by CapLeaker; 04-19-2020, 05:35 AM.

Comment

I would also check the solder joints in the area where it has been getting quite hot, by the two large caps and transformer.
                    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I checked all solder joints, and they are OK. I have decided to change all caps (8) of them. Where would you recommend I purchase them? It would be convenient to get them all in one shop. Thanks Al

Comment

DigiKey or a trusted ebay seller, I suppose.
                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM.

Comment

OK...I received all the caps, and first replaced 68uf 35 v next to heat sink. She powered up. I left it on for a few hours then unplugged. When I plugged it back in no power. The heat sink was very hot. My question is...should I replace all the caps, or should I suspect the IC mounted on heat sink? Thanks Al

Comment

since you have them, you might as well...

Comment

Hi all....I am happy to report that after replacing all caps ( except the 2 250v 100uf) which are on order.....she is working well. I transferred 3 vhs-dvd with out problem. That heat sink still gets very hot, so I hope I'm not looking at future failure. I will keep all posted...Stay safe....thanks Al

Comment

this has been a real help for me too i have a similar issues i have replaced all the electrolytic caps as i had DIM DISPLAY, AND THE UNIT TURNED OF WHEN TRYING TO DUB A VHS TO DVD.
                                i was told it was the psu and the caps needed doing so all that is done and yes they are all the right way around, and now it wont even power up? there is all the voltages on the 16 pin outs and match up with the service schmatics . so now i am at a loss. any help would be greatful

Comment

Hello all...My machine is dead again...I replaced all electro caps and voltage divider MR1521 in power supply. Thanks AL

Comment

Just a little more info that might help isolate problem. At one point I had power and stupidly touched metal when putting the P/S back in place, and something shorted out...the main fuse is good. I am getting voltage on half the (16) pins out...but 0 on the rest. The diode on heat sink is putting out voltage from center pin. I am getting voltage on one half of the board...but not the other. All help appreciated....Thanks Al

Comment

Working...
                                    X