Internal Speaker for DESKTOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal Speaker for DESKTOP

Guys i thinking to made an internal speaker ...Just now i try connect it on Frontpanel Audio connector Left_out to Positive (spk) , GND to Negative (spk) ...sound came out but very soft like headphone.....can i made it loud using the volume controller added of the center wire of Left_out and Positive(spk)..... or there is any great idea u guys had.... ^_^ hope u guys helping me out.,....

Re: Internal Speaker for DESKTOP

The output signal is line level - you need an amplifier.

Comment

Rainbow do you have the board diagram....so i can create it/././/

Comment

PC speakers are not meant to be used with a normal audio amplifier. Google it or check Wikipedia.
        Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Simplest Way

For beeps only

Comment

From what I can understand, you want to use your normal speakers as an internal PC speaker? In that case you can directly connect the internal speaker header on your motherboard to another header on your soundcard. If you use a built in soundcard on the motherboard, then you have to connect it to one of the audio connectors on the motherboard.

On very old soundcards, there was a special input for a PC Speaker I believe. However now I believe that those connectors have disappeared. Therefore I would connect it to the auxiliary input. With this arrangement, your main external speakers will be used as a PC Speaker as well. And it should be amplified by the sound card.

Hopefully that would work out.
            Good luck!

Edit: Found some nice illustrations of the audio connectors on a motherboard as well as on a soundcard.

These were taken from: here
            Attached Files
            Last edited by shadow; 08-02-2007, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I guess using the term "Internal speaker" is confusing the issue slightly

From what you state above it seems you are using the "line out" of the case, which when connected is meant to go to a pair of "Amplified" speakers or together with the mic input for headset setup for Skype etc

Frontpanel Audio connector Left_out to Positive (spk) , GND to Negative (spk)
              The term is confusing cause the the PC does have on the MB and case normally an "internal speaker"
              (not that iv'e thought about it much but logistics is right not its purpose in life "internal pc speaker")
              Its probably no longer the piddly little speaker and more likely what TBC10 has shown...

So I gather you want to put a speaker inside the case for Audio output?
              Bear in mind its normally stereo output line level so you would only get one channel
              (although there are safe ways to you can mix them)

As Rainbow said its "line level" and needs to be amplified up for the speaker.

TBC10 is probably the easiest way,
              get a pre built small audio amp.
              Find one that works on 12 Volts DC, use the computer PSU to power it.
              make sure it isnt going to flop around in the case in anyway.

If you really want to build one there are heaps of circuits out there for small audio amps, using audio power amp ic etc..google is your friend

not so sure id want a speaker pounding away in the box but each to there own.

Better me thinks external speakers But the again not really sure of your application for it either

HTH

Cheers
              You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

You can use a tiny single-chip amplifier - like LM386 or something like that. They're sometimes intergrated on older mainboards with AC97 sound.

Comment

As shadow mentioned, older sound cards (ISA, PCI) with an on-board amplifier for use with external, non-amplified speakers often had a 2- or 4-pin header on the card, into which you could directly plug in the internal PC speaker. The sound quality wasn't great, but it was no different from internal speakers in laptops, which are usually quite audible. The main issue is that the internal speaker is not baffle-mounted, so it's probably not going to be good enough for music/movies.

With on-board AC97 decoders and external amplified speakers, the on-board audio amplifier has mostly vanished in present day audio cards as well as mobos. In those cases, you'll have to hack up your own audio amp with an LM386, TEA2025 or similar.

Comment

Since he mentions the front panel audio connector, I think what he is trying to do is hook the case speaker/buzzer to the onboard sound output pins, so that the onboard AC97 audio can be heard directly from the case without using external speakers. I don't think he is trying to amplify the PC speaker/buzzer output...

Comment

Yes, but the on-board AC97 decoded audio is high-impedance line-level and can't drive anything with an impedance below about 32 ohms effectively. There has to be an intervening amp to be able to drive an 8 ohm speaker effectively. This used to be present on old ISA cards like the Aztec sound galaxy or similar, which could drive non-amplified low-impedance speaker loads, including the internal speaker. However, that's usually no longer an option with the integrated sound on the mobo.

Comment

They make speaker boxes that fit into a CD drive bay.
                        Usually don't cost much if you shop around. ($10 on sale. Usually $15 and up.)
                        I have some to reduce the desk clutter (no more speakers on the desk) on work systems where I don't care about the quality of the sound as long as it works.

Even if you don't wanna use it in a CD bay if you take it apart you'd have a pair of speakers, the amp, and the cables to connect to your existing jacks or to the motherboard. (Connections will depend on which speaker box you get.)

ONE possible problem.
                        - Hi freq electronics don't do so well in fluctuating magnetic fields. Make sure you use magnetically shielded speakers or you may screw up your systems function.

Not the same but related:
                        I put bigger speakers in my garage boom box so they don't give out to distortion before the amplifier reaches it's limits as the original speakers did.
                        (Changed the cheap 10 watt single cones to better 40 watt dual cones.).
                        In general it worked out great. I can crank it and the speakers never loose quality as far up as the amp will go. - Except, If I crank it over 2/3 the way with a CD going the speaker vibrations will knock the CD off the track. (But 2/3 is more than I got before the old speakers sounded like crap,,, and it's not a problem with the radio at all.)

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

I'm taking his meaning to be he wants his stereo speakers inside the box.

Could be wrong...
                          Mann-Made Global Warming.
                          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

yeah i think so too. boom box computer case

ONE possible problem.
                            - Hi freq electronics don't do so well in fluctuating magnetic fields. Make sure you use magnetically shielded speakers or you may screw up your systems function.
                            bingo

one other thing, even if there is two speakers installed in a case, its still gonna practically be mono....yuk. need at least 1m separation between L+R to get nice stereo.

it would be cool though to build a quality headphone amp in a drive bay
                            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Working...
                            X