Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DELL OEM H240AS-00 (HIPRO) ~ major blow up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DELL OEM H240AS-00 (HIPRO) ~ major blow up!

Any crapxon is from, or creates its own, bad "eras." Had a brand new SMPS bench supply back in '06 with that junk. There was a small aux supply that powered a fan and monitoring ckts, as well as gate drivers for the main supply.

From the time it was brand new til after I recapped it with Nichicon PWs and HEs, that aux supply always stuttered upon cold starts. The crapxons screwed up the TNY's feedback, and it's very own aux supply!

Capxons aren't worth shit. It's comical finding them in equipment, in a "look how we fooled ya" kind o' way.

Fuhjuyus can at least go a month before failing.

I really don't like capxon...
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I hate Capxon too. I would pick Fuhjyuu / Jun Fu and Teapo / Ltec / Ost anytime instead of Capxon

Comment

CapXon are shit, but OST get my vote for bottom-of-the-pile caps. Likely to fail "silently" too, which makes them even more annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by chowder View Post
          CapXon are shit, but OST get my vote for bottom-of-the-pile caps. Likely to fail "silently" too, which makes them even more annoying.
          Exactly. Crapxon is so bad, only OST is worse...

(Only Some Trash)
          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
          Originally posted by shango066
          All style and no substance.
          Originally posted by smashstuff30
          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

i hate all old caps.
            even pana FC's leak when old, and ruby ZL's go out of spec.

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
              Yes I already saw that page, that is where I found the reference to the SCY99087, but it seems they still are hard to obtain (excluding 3rd party sellers, that is)

Interestingly, the page for that chip is blank. Well, it seems to connect to the server just fine, but there is no content on the page, just a white background...
              http://www.datasheetdir.com/SCY99087+PWM-Controllers

-Ben
              It's literally:

Code:
              <html>
                 <head></head>
                 <body></body>
              </html>
              Last edited by TechGeek; 04-18-2016, 07:19 PM. Reason: Wrong Edit
              Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
              RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
              Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
              - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
              - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
              - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
              - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

given it's obviously an ON-Semi part, you could just go through their entire catalog of 8pin controllers looking for a possible replacement.
                but it's not worth the trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  Fix it! (okay, only if you have nothing better to do or just as a challenge, that is)

I suggest to not bother with fixing the APFC circuit - not now, at least.
                  As for the mystery IC: see how it is connected on that daughterboard. Maybe you can successfully substitute a UC3842/3/5. Or perhaps do so with some modding. A simple UC3842 drive circuit isn't that complex, actually.

For the main FET, you can use whatever you got in your junk bin, as long as it has the same Vds voltage rating. This is for testing purposes, of course. Once the PSU is fixed, use same or equivalent parts to the originals.

And, of course, use the series incandescent bulb trick for all live testing. Unless you like to start New Year's fireworks show early .

can u help me with that?

Comment

with what?

Comment

I have 4 of these PSU's here and i'm trying to fix them, one of them has the driver board burned, maybe i can save some smd's on it, but im trying to test de 2 IC's (IC301 and IC302) but i don't know how. there's a small transistor too that is burned... i'm trying to find some of these components on junk circuits but it's hard to find...

Comment

you cant test them, if they are bad you will see a small hole burned into the top.
                        the pfc chip ihas never died in the ones i had, but the other chip was *always* toast.

Comment

They aren't burned at all but i need to figure it out why the power supply doesnt start.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-16-2017, 01:58 PM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                            Can we see the pictures of the whole board top and bottom side?
                            R55 (22 Ohms is about right)/D53 (1N4148 will be fine) is the RD Gate drive network, so the IC that drive the Gate of that MOSFET is more likely to be damaged, yes, I would change it for sure.
                            The burnt ceramic cap C52 is the snubber cap, the 0.27 Ohms resistor is for the Source of the MOSFET.
                            What is the value of the snubber cap C52?

Comment

680pF 1kV
                              it's in the first post.
                              but use a 2kv or 3kv replacement.

Comment

Beware, most CP012A on eBay or AliExpress are fake. Before using any of them, check voltage drop from GND (pin 5) to all other pins using a diode test on a multimeter. If any is missing or over 1000mV, the chip is fake.

Luckily, the CP012A is only a remarked NCP1252A. Verified.

I've fixed many of these PSUs. List of usually bad parts:

F1 (F6.3A/250V)
                                C52 (681K/1KV = 680pF)
                                Q51 (STW12NK90Z)
                                R25 (0R27 or 0R2 fusible)

DB1 (GBU606)
                                D53 (D1 = 1N4148W SOD-123F)
                                R55 (22R SMD 1206 1%)
                                C51, IC52 (Cosmo 357NT C = KPC357NT0C (CTR=200-400% VCEO=80V) or 357T)
                                R36 (4R7 SMD 1206)

sub-board:
                                IC301 (CP012A = NCP1252A)
                                J306 (0R SMD 1206)
                                R304 (2K2 SMD 0805 1%)
                                Q301 (1P = MMBT2222A)
                                if R302/R310 showing bad values, replace Q301
                                D301, D306 (D1 = 1N4148W SOD-123F)
                                if R329 (4K3) shows bad value (not around 4K25), replace IC51
                                if R327 (220R) shows bad value, replace Q304 (KSP2222A)
                                IC302 (UCC28019A - PFC)

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow View Post
                                  Beware, most CP012A on eBay or AliExpress are fake. Before using any of them, check voltage drop from GND (pin 5) to all other pins using a diode test on a multimeter. If any is missing or over 1000mV, the chip is fake.

Luckily, the CP012A is only a remarked NCP1252A. Verified.

I've fixed many of these PSUs. List of usually bad parts:

F1 (F6.3A/250V)
                                  C52 (681K/1KV = 680pF)
                                  Q51 (STW12NK90Z)
                                  R25 (0R27 or 0R2 fusible)

DB1 (GBU606)
                                  D53 (D1 = 1N4148W SOD-123F)
                                  R55 (22R SMD 1206 1%)
                                  C51, IC52 (Cosmo 357NT C = KPC357NT0C (CTR=200-400% VCEO=80V) or 357T)
                                  R36 (4R7 SMD 1206)

sub-board:
                                  IC301 (CP012A = NCP1252A)
                                  J306 (0R SMD 1206)
                                  R304 (2K2 SMD 0805 1%)
                                  Q301 (1P = MMBT2222A)
                                  if R302/R310 showing bad values, replace Q301
                                  D301, D306 (D1 = 1N4148W SOD-123F)
                                  if R329 (4K3) shows bad value (not around 4K25), replace IC51
                                  if R327 (220R) shows bad value, replace Q304 (KSP2222A)
                                  IC302 (UCC28019A - PFC)

Hi @Rainbow, i hope you can help me since it seems you are pretty knowledgeable with this psu.

i have mine with the broken caps C52 and C11 however the PSU is still partially working like 2-4seconds after i switch it ON. It then shutdsdown automatically. I replaced both caps with 3KV 681PF and also i replaced R25 with 0.27ohm 1W resistor but the problem stays the same..

it just power up and from 2-3secs will shutdown... What could be next to check.. thanks

Comment

Not necessarily, IMO.
                                    I have plenty of CapXon KM from the "bad cap" era, and they are all fine. Even used more than a few of them in temporary fixes while waiting for new caps, and they held in fine. I still (re)use them, too.
                                    Those are "GP for PSU", not Low ESR ones...
                                    But yeah, the KM in my "300W IT" thingy looked fine, the Canicon did not...

That's not to say CapXon is good. My junk/blown caps bin is dominated by failed CapXon, Sacon, Chemicon KZG, and Teapo (in order from worst to least worst). Even all of the PSUs I've found with Fuhjyyus have a better track record.
                                    Maybe because cheapass PSU tend to use CapXon and/or mistreat them??

Though in recent years I have hardly seen any PSU with CapXon Caps at all, only Teapo in consumer units and in some cases SamXon and Chin San.

But at the same time, with modern PSU I haven't seen something that looks like Cap Failure in a very long time - even with Teapo.
                                    It seems that recently its more likely that those TNY Chips explode than caps fail...

But I'm talking from a rather coldish enviroment, wher 35°C Room Temperature is unlikely and only a couple of days, maybe weeks.
                                    And the normally expected room temperature is somewhere around 20°C...
                                    In my case even less than that in winter (5°C is totally possible)...

And in recent months you see more PSU with "higher end" ChengX caps and JunFu as well -> CWT GPS for the most part...
                                    Last edited by Stefan Payne; 10-29-2019, 02:24 PM.

Comment

hi i am hoping somebody can help me.

Already replaced 2 caps (681pF 2KV) and 1 resistor (0.27ohms 3W). However my powersupply still has the same issue. It powers up for few seconds and switches off after that.

What else could be the issue or part that i need to replace? i don't see any bulging caps aside from the 2 i have already replaced.

Comment

if the resistor was burned then you have a bad fet and probably lots of bad parts under the board and on the smaller board behind the heatsink

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                          if the resistor was burned then you have a bad fet and probably lots of bad parts under the board and on the smaller board behind the heatsink
                                          Actually before replacing the caps and resistor the PSU will still power up for few seconds...

Note: The resistor was not burned but i just replaced it with a new one with same value but higher wattage 3W as i have seen in previous posts by other members.. Also replaced 2 caps with higher 681pF 2KV.

Now, nothing has changed. it still powers up for few seconds and shuts down automatically.

What could be the other cause? I am not that expert but i know how to use the solder and little of the multi tester.
                                          Last edited by rayfloyd170; 11-05-2019, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X