Fluke 289 bad supercapacitor replacement repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fluke 289 bad supercapacitor replacement repair

maybe you could do the upgrade to a lithium rechargeable and a current limit resistor?

Comment

wouldn't that charge the lithium permanently, even with the current limiter resistor... unless the resistance is very high? Educate me!

Comment

i think it is very high.
        old and new boards.
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting indeed… did anyone convert their 289 yet?

Comment

i only know one 287 owner - he's selling or already sold it.
            it's considered a bit shit compared to a unitrend 171/181 or even a fluke 80 series

Comment

I've got a Uni-T meter... not so thrilled with it.

Comment

they go up in quality with the price
                i have a potentially usefull pdf for you
                Attached Files

Comment

That handbook is very interesting and thank you for it. Problem is here in Canada you can't get any of these lithium batteries. Years ago, our Government banned lithium batteries from commercial flights. So basically, if the package isn't shipped a special way (which is ridiculous in price) you plain just can't buy it. Go to Digikey Canada and see for yourself. Some outfits don't sell you certain parts, if you ship it to a Canadian address. I could order from a selected supplier in the US, but again shipping is a killer. Been there and done that. Only way to get a lithium cell for me is to go to Ali and order there, it has a mediocre success rate. I had a few shipments that never arrived.

Comment

i think that may be wrong because these can be shipped without any charge in them - although your government isnt exactly intelligent right now!

the chinese did have a workaround for the flight-ban,
                    equipment with internal batteries were exempt.
                    so the ali sellers were shipping batteries inside obsolete tv remotes!

Comment

Same thing here. Equipment with internal lithium batteries are exempted. Its just a real dumb law that doesn't make any sense again.

Comment

Could you help me please:
                        how long Fluke 289 should keep Date without AA bat?
                        and which another brand of supercapacitors can be used?
                        or could I put a special same size battery instead of supercap?
                        thank You

Comment

If you take the battery out, wait a minute and put the battery back in and the 289 lost time and date, good chance that the supercap is leaking physically. A new supercap held the time and date for 3 hrs no problem. As a size requirment: Everything goes as long as it can fit. The only thing to watch for is the rated voltage. For some reason most 3.3V supercaps I came across were SMD, but I surely would not use a 5V supercap in there. Swapping in a battery depends on the battery chemistry you want to use and then have to mod the circuit somehow. I see that my original solution isn't anymore available. At least not here.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                            A new supercap held the time and date for 3 hrs no problem
                            Thanks
                            My Fluke forgets the Date after 4-6 hrs (during I am charging 6xEneloops due to I have just 4 slots for charging AA) but it keeps Date at least for a few minutes if I just change old AA for new ones. I have not checked the exact time.
                            Are you suggesting opening Fluke for revision of supercapacitor's leakage?

Comment

do a test and take them batteries out for 15min, 30min, 45min and an hour... see what happens... My 289 is old. The new 289 doesn't have a supercap anymore. They changed them to a battery. I charge my 6 eneloops in one swat (bigger capacity charger).

Comment

I charged my batteries for one hour and I've lost the memory. Set time and date appeared again. So my supercap that I replaced in 2018 went bad again.
                                I did look at the newer 289's and they have a battery with an SMD resistor marking 01B (1k ohm) in series with the positive side of the battery. I may take my supercap out, add a 1k ohm resistor and put a small 3V coin cell battery in. That should fix that.
                                That image I borrowed is from Terry01 from eevblog. Thanks man! It saved me running to work and taking theirs apart!
                                Attached Files

Comment

I measured the voltage it is about 0,9V
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Per Hansson; 06-21-2022, 10:23 AM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Comment

Originally posted by AleXis6 View Post
                                    I measured the voltage it is about 0,9V
                                    It's done for. Well... I guess I am sitting in the same boat again and looked around to see what is suitable right now for me and didn't find anything in the supercap section as an available drop in to buy. I'll keep looking...

Comment

and didn't find anything in the supercap ..
                                      the same, just chineese version.
                                      Date has been lost even after 5 min

Comment

Sooo... I've got the idea to call Fluke Canada. Here is how the limited warranty goes with Fluke: The limited warranty is good for about 10 years! After the 10 years has passed, you need the proof of purchase. Guess what? Mine is 10 years and 3 months old! They quoted me CAD $370 for a repair. REALLY? 370 bucks for a damn $2 supercap? I guess I fix it myself again.

As for the supercap to rechargeable battery mod. It's not going to work for me economically. Lithium batteries are not allowed to be transported in planes here in Canada and can only go via ground. As of this all Canadian suppliers like digikey, mouser and newark put shipping restrictions. So even if I get a battery from the states through allied, gonna cost me like $80 shipping or more (I tried that already before).

Meanwhile I did come up with another SMD supercap, but it's like 10.5mm diameter. So I guess something has to be modded. I guess I have to open mine up again and see what can be done this time around.

Comment

10.5mm diameter.
                                          I think similar due to enough space around.
                                          which supercapacitor you used last time ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X