Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS GTX 1060 Dual 6 GB Missing component

Hello,

I have a GTX 1060 that is supposed to boot but doesn't display image (fans start with the pc) according to the seller. Before testing anything i did a visual inspection and found a missing component (img 20211121_125505) named U504 (Model M74VHC1GT08DFT2G) with some ripped pads and traces. Already order the component via aliexpress, since i couldn't find it in my country, and expect it to arrive next month. In img 20211121_125619 you can see two caps and one of them has very low resistance to ground, is it normal?

I'm just starting in the GPU field as i mostly work on smartphones. Any advice would be aprecciated.

Sorry for the bad english.
    Attached Files

Re: ASUS GTX 1060 Dual 6 GB Missing component

Hello. If those 470uF caps (first image) are anywhere near the crystal it is normal. I believe those are the caps directly under the crystal, right?

On a 10-series GPU the resistance is very low. Something close to 1-2ohm. You want to test for a short on the 12v rail using the power in pins and coils.

So test resistance on all major rails. Fastest way for 12v and 3.3v is PCIE pins and 6/8 pin inputs.

PCIE SLOT: On smallest notch, the first 3 pins are 12v. The 8th pin is 3.3v

Edit: I added a photo below
    Last edited by WayOfTheRoad; 11-21-2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Check these areas for resistance to ground:
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes that missing IC looks like a logical AND gate - where did you get the part number, from the schematic?

A lot of people say this video helped them learn GPU repair so maybe you would like to give it a try

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99567

Rich
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Resistors next to the missing IC are destroyed too and some are missing as well. Might have been liquid damage eating the pads, and someone tried to fix it before.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by WayOfTheRoad View Post
            Hello. If those 470uF caps (first image) are anywhere near the crystal it is normal. I believe those are the caps directly under the crystal, right?

On a 10-series GPU the resistance is very low. Something close to 1-2ohm. You want to test for a short on the 12v rail using the power in pins and coils.

So test resistance on all major rails. Fastest way for 12v and 3.3v is PCIE pins and 6/8 pin inputs.

PCIE SLOT: On smallest notch, the first 3 pins are 12v. The 8th pin is 3.3v

Edit: I added a photo below
            Thank for the reply!

You are correct, those caps are at the bottom side of the GPU under the crystal. Measures in the attached img, i dont quite see nothing weird but what do you think?.

The resistor close to the pci pins has to different values in each side.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
              Yes that missing IC looks like a logical AND gate - where did you get the part number, from the schematic?

A lot of people say this video helped them learn GPU repair so maybe you would like to give it a try

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99567

Rich
              Thanks for the reply!

I'm a suscriber of your channel, bought this GPU after seeing that 2.5 hour video, didn't try the card in the motherboard before visual inspection just as you said . The part number is from an schematic i found on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                Resistors next to the missing IC are destroyed too and some are missing as well. Might have been liquid damage eating the pads, and someone tried to fix it before.
                Thanks for the reply!

You are absolutely correct, those resistors are OL so i will replace them as soon i get the other component. The person that worked on this GPU told the seller that it needed reballing, i hope he just messed up an easy repair.

Comment

Originally posted by SCpoan View Post
                  Thank for the reply!

You are correct, those caps are at the bottom side of the GPU under the crystal. Measures in the attached img, i dont quite see nothing weird but what do you think?.

All seems good with those values! As the other user stated, it'll come down to sorting out that area of the missing part/traces. Hopefully that was all that was wrong with it to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by SCpoan View Post
                    Thank for the reply!

If i remember, that resistor on the 12V-PCI is a R005, and if your measurements are correct than the resistor is defective.
                    Try to measure the resistance on the resistor.

Comment

Originally posted by pacoso View Post
                      If i remember, that resistor on the 12V-PCI is a R005, and if your measurements are correct than the resistor is defective.
                      Try to measure the resistance on the resistor.
                      Thanks for the reply!

Just tested again to be sure and it reads the same in each side (4.5KΩ). Guess it was only bad connection with my multimeter tips the first time.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who reply, i was able to harvest the missing logic AND gate + the other components necessary to repair this GPU from a small laptop motherboard. Replacement component: SN74AHC1G08 (Marking: A08G)

I am yet to stress test it but for now it runs games
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X