MSI 945GCM5 V2 Full Poly-mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI 945GCM5 V2 Full Poly-mod

I've said before here that I've found MSI boards to be fairly tolerant of being poly-modded, and today, I did another one. A 945CGM5-F V2 to be exact.

The CPU VRM high got 470uF Nich LG 16V polies, while the low side got 820uF 2.5 OS-CONs.

The others which originally had 470uF either got that or 330uF as replacements

There were two 1500uF caps on the RAM VRM which were replaced with 820uF 6.3V Nichicon L8, and there were 3 220uF 10V caps near the chipset which were replaced with 220uF 6.3V NCC PSC.

Everywhere else (which originally had 1000uF 6.3V lytics) got either 1000uF or 820uF 6.3V Nichicon L8.

I was quite interested in doing this board as there is what appears to be a linear regulator in the 3rd picture here (in between the CMOS battery and DIMM slot), which gets very hot, and the lone cap immediately above it is usually the first to go on these boards. Hopefully, the poly will handle the heat a bit better.
    Attached Files
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: MSI 945GCM5 V2 Full Poly-mod

i have msi 945gcm7 board that wasn't start. only 1-2 second fans spins
    after the i have change vrm caps fans spin properly but there is no beep sounds or display.

what is the problem.
    could i rewrite the bios?

Comment

Say reflash it? If that, then with an external controller, yes
      If it's a real rewrite, then pretty much no.
      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
        Say reflash it? If that, then with an external controller, yes
        If it's a real rewrite, then pretty much no.
        i mean hot reflash.
        Another healthy mobo starts. we go to bios update screen.
        at that moment we desolder original bios chip and solder patient chip and reflash.

i've repaired 9 msi g31m3 mobo this way..

i have many corrupted boards that new or old.

no needs to greed. i don't pay the thing because of that is new.

my g31m3 is enough win7 and for me
        Last edited by mikail13; 07-19-2015, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Don't know how I missed this thread. Nice one, c_hegge. Looks really good. What were the brands of the original caps?

Comment

why the mix of brands and types?

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
              Don't know how I missed this thread. Nice one, c_hegge. Looks really good. What were the brands of the original caps?
              OST and Teapo, and possibly a few KZGs

Originally posted by stj View Post
              why the mix of brands and types?
              Because that was what I had on hand.
              Last edited by c_hegge; 07-21-2015, 03:55 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Were any of the original caps bulging? I'm a big fan of 945 boards, especially well built ones. They're extremely reliable in my experience.

Comment

I think they might have still been OK on this particular board, but it was only an old lady who used it, and probably only once every couple of weeks. The cheap sleeve bearing case and PSU fans hadn't even seized

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    Everywhere else (which originally had 1000uF 6.3V lytics) got either 1000uF or 820uF 6.3V Nichicon L8.
                    Hello, I'm new here. I've been here for a few days observing and learning little by little. I plan to recap my old dead P4 MSI board with poly in a few months.

I want to ask, can we use higher uF poly to replace wet electrolytic cap.
                    For example, using Nichicon L8 6.3V 1200uF to replace 6.3V 1000uF lytic?

Thank you.

Comment

Yes, you can do that. Especially the VRM would benefit from such low ESR caps. However, in my opinion I think that is a waste of money. Poly caps are pretty expensive. You can use 560uF 6.3V to replace 1000uF 6.3V lytics and they will still perform much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                        Yes, you can do that. Especially the VRM would benefit from such low ESR caps. However, in my opinion I think that is a waste of money. Poly caps are pretty expensive. You can use 560uF 6.3V to replace 1000uF 6.3V lytics and they will still perform much better.
                        Thank you for the feedback. Actually I already know that you can use lower uF poly caps in the VRM side, but I still cannot find about replacing higher uF poly caps other than VRM.

Yes it's a waste of money. But should there be a situation for example where I don't have lower uF poly to use only a higher uF available, can I still use it?
                        It's just a hypothetical question for a reference in the future.

VRM (CPU/RAM):
                        Lower uF poly replacing higher uF lytic = OK

Other than VRM:
                        Lower uF poly replacing higher uF lytic = OK or Not?

Comment

What I've been lead to believe is that the half-capacitance when poly-modding rule only applies blanketly to the CPU VRM and other similar DC-DC conversion circuits on the motherboard. I haven't tried it much on the other 1000uF caps on any motherboard.

Comment

I've used a 330uF poly caps to replace a 1000uF lytics, and never ran into any stability issues even after 18 months.

Comment

good, because i want to replace a 3300uf lytic with a 2000uf poly on a motherboard power input.

Comment

i have the same mainboard which after psu fail it did not open again . i have put a new psu but the mainboard does not respond . the only think lights its the stand by led nothing else. what shall i check ?

Comment

Originally posted by Boyxba View Post
                                  i have the same mainboard which after psu fail it did not open again . i have put a new psu but the mainboard does not respond . the only think lights its the stand by led nothing else. what shall i check ?
                                  If you left the mobo for longer than a month or two , and since the 945 is already relatively old , then the first thing to begin with is to check for a failed Cmos battery .

Comment

Unplug the 12V power connector. Does the motherboard still not boot up?

Comment

Working...
                                    X