Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palit GTX970 Component ID Assistance

Hi,

I've bought myself a faulty Palit GTX 970, as I was checking the board for shorts/checking resistances I measured 10m Ohm on the component marked Q in the attached picture.

There are 2 other identical components on board that have 0 ohm across them. I'm 99.9% sure it's an inductor, it's location and the L1 marking give me confidence. The issue I have is trying to identify the type and spec of inductor.

The size does not seem to match anything I can find online.

I'm hoping someone can help me ID this?

I'm also aware the power stage U14 needs some attention.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Palit GTX970 Component ID Assistance

It's a fuse 2410SFV10.0FM/125

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      It's a fuse 2410SFV10.0FM/125
      Cheers, I was off in the wrong direction. Really glad I asked.

Comment

Re: Palit GTX970 Component ID Assistance - Now Repair Issue

Hi All,

Got the parts in to replace the fuse and the NCP5369. Surprised myself by successfully replacing the NCP5369, the fuse was easy.

Card booted and was recognised fine in windows. Working fine. 30 minutes of 'Valley' benchmark all good, then 10 minutes into 'Heaven' and total shutdown. Instant. PC would not reboot until PSU was disconnected and reconnected. Card was not recognised after this by the motherboard.

Removed the card and opened it up again and the fuse is blown and from the measurements I make the NCP5369 looks done too.

My question is, is it likely there is another issue killing these components, or could my installation of the NCP5369 have been borderline?

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by manuforti1314 View Post
          Hi All,

Got the parts in to replace the fuse and the NCP5369. Surprised myself by successfully replacing the NCP5369, the fuse was easy.

Card booted and was recognised fine in windows. Working fine. 30 minutes of 'Valley' benchmark all good, then 10 minutes into 'Heaven' and total shutdown. Instant. PC would not reboot until PSU was disconnected and reconnected. Card was not recognised after this by the motherboard.

Removed the card and opened it up again and the fuse is blown and from the measurements I make the NCP5369 looks done too.

My question is, is it likely there is another issue killing these components, or could my installation of the NCP5369 have been borderline?

Cheers,
          Yeah, it's likely a part pulling too much current due to being shorted or partially shorted. I have only encountered this when the GPU chip itself is bad but that doesn't mean yours is. I've seen some people with this issue have problems with the main voltage regulator and even the phase doublers (if this card has them).

That may provide a place to start looking.

Comment

Originally posted by WayOfTheRoad View Post
            Yeah, it's likely a part pulling too much current due to being shorted or partially shorted. I have only encountered this when the GPU chip itself is bad but that doesn't mean yours is. I've seen some people with this issue have problems with the main voltage regulator and even the phase doublers (if this card has them).

That may provide a place to start looking.
            Thanks, I will remove the bad components and see if there are any obvious issues nearby after that. Hopefully the core is not bad, that would be a bummer.

Comment

Changed the 2 bad components again. This time it seems fine. Runs hours of benchmarks and Furmarks with no issues.

I'm putting the initial failure down to poor installation of the NCP5369, this IC has 3 large pads on the bottom, at 2 of the 3, the 2 smaller ones did not look like they had made a good connection to the PCB. They had a connection, just not much.

I tinned the all the pads on the chip with a little solder and it seemed to flow down much nicer this time.

Cheers for all the help.

Comment

Working...
              X