RCA Virtuoso RHOS581SM-D Picture Fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCA Virtuoso RHOS581SM-D Picture Fault

Picture looks stretched out and it looks like every other vertical line is not being drawn though hard to see that in the pics.

I've disconnected each half of the panel and the fault remains exact save for the disconnected side being white.

The original complaint was the tuner stopped working so the main was replaced however the new and old board exhibit the same picture defect.

Nothing is getting hot and pushing on the panel drivers effects no change in the picture.

So with that does anyone know how to enter the Service Menu on this set so I can check panel type etc, and do you think the tcon can be at fault here ?

(pics in next post)

Re: RCA Virtuoso RHOS581SM-D Picture Fault

Sorry for the reflections but the fault is surely visible....
    Attached Files

Comment

Think I would try the tape off method, if you can get a good picture, I would think it was a panel issue. Did you test for shorts and ohm out the little caps on the panel driver board?

Comment

I did not. Though it's not impossible it would be rare for both sides to fail at the same time.

I've never done the tape off method will have to read up on it.

Comment

I would assume it did not have this fault before main board was replaced. Surely, they would have complained about the picture.
          I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Main and T-con are not matching each other for some reason. Could be corrupted setting or some hardware problem. Search google or this forum for service menu, there are few combinations for RCAs.

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
              I would assume it did not have this fault before main board was replaced. Surely, they would have complained about the picture.
              I would have to agree to that. What I've stated was what I was told, obviously not the whole truth maybe not even partial truth lol.

Comment

If it did have the problem before. I would say it is a t-con problem.

Comment

These are very cheaply made tv's that I see all over online having similar random panel issues. I have the same problem with a RHOS651SM that was fine for a few minutes than would develop lines all over the place ... so I knew it could not be a bad panel since the picture was fine sometimes. By some miracle I decided to crack it open and take another look. After about an hour of disconnecting all cables ... cleaning with alcohol and reseating them several times my lines all went away. I also noticed the previous owner may have stretched the LVD cable from the main board to where it plugs into the tcon .. cause they also broke one of the clips off. I am looking for another cable but cannot find them anywhere. But moral of the story is ... patience and with a little luck hopefully you'll isolate that small glitch causing all the problems.
                  Last edited by tech9pc; 02-06-2022, 11:43 AM.

Comment

For anyone else looking the Service Menu can be pulled up by going to the antenna/cable input and then pressing Source-3-1-9-5

The panel setting did not match mine and the default mode was set to a Samsung 40". I could not find how to change the panel type itself but there were more than 80 modes the main board could be set to. I chose the one listed in the last menu as shown, the 4k 60hz setting.

This did not work and the set no longer has a picture

Alas I have another board - I've just created more work for myself as now I'm going to have to pull the eeprom and read/save it before proceeding.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I pulled the 24C64's from both boards and they both read as 0xFF's in fact the boards will work fine without them apparently. So I have no way to reset the settings of the non-working board the info must be supplied on one of the bga devices and I don't have the equipment for reading/writing those...

If the problem is indeed with the panel info not matching the installed board how do I know which setting to chose since they are not clearly defined ?

Comment

I should have included a pic of the panel sticker. Here it is.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Like I said these are cheap. My panel is set to Samsung 40 in hidden menu also for rhos651sm probly generic for all these pieces of shit lol. So changing that will not solve problem. Your issue most likely is t-con, main board, bad cables for vertical issues. Horizontal lines would be worse more towards a possible bad panel. I am pretty sure they pushed a shitload of this garbage since 2019 covid. All the overseas workers were dying or dead of covid working for peanuts and these countries just shipped thousands of defective tv's to keep their stock investors profits stable. Happens all the time. profits for rich and wealthy over all us pee on's. Shallow soulless bastards. Yayyy covid rage on ... show humanities true reflection .. Death in near future from ignorance and stupidity lol
                          Last edited by tech9pc; 02-08-2022, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Oh I know these are cheaply made but thank you for verifying yours is also set to Samsung. Since I had two of these main boards both doing the same thing I think it more likely to be tcon or lvds cable as you have stated.

I don't have another cable of this type to try so I can only ohm it out. The tcon has no visible signs of problems but may have to order another to rule it out.

Comment

Ya same here looking for lvds cable but not sold anywhere. I am patient lol I saw about 5 pop up on kijij this week .. some even with same issues lines on screen and stuff. If I run into one for parts will let you know ... I'm in Sarnia 3 hours away.

Comment

You could check your data lines at both ends to confirm that data is going through cable.

Comment

Yes when I get some time I'm going to check out the lvds cable a little closer. Would be odd for many of these sets to have an lvds cable fault but less odd I think to have tcons that are junk and failing.

Comment

Originally posted by alfatv View Post
                                    Main and T-con are not matching each other for some reason. Could be corrupted setting or some hardware problem. Search google or this forum for service menu, there are few combinations for RCAs.
                                    This makes the most sense. The owner stated they bought a mainboard and it didn't work so they bought another and after getting the same results they gave up.

I would think they replaced the original with two identical but wrong boards but there isn't any definitive information out there about the proper hardware.

Does anyone have one of these sets that can confirm what working hardware combination they have inside ?

Comment

Originally posted by alfatv View Post
                                      After a little more digging on this it turns out there are two different panels used in this model, a Panda and an Innolux, which I have in mine.

The Panda has 12 source and 12 gate drivers.
                                      The Innolux has 12 source and 16 gate drivers! I think that would explain the messed up scanning I am seeing.

The mainboards for these look identical but are likely carrying different flash memories or at least different settings with relation to the expected panel pairing.

Is it possible to dump the contents of the Toshiba EMMC from the mainboard with a CH341a ?

This is running Linux is there a way to dump through the usb port ?
                                      Last edited by mmartell; 06-01-2022, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Update. I let this tv sit for about 4 months after cleaning cables etc real good. It had random vertical and horizonal line issues after using for 40 minutes or so. To my surprise after several 4 to 8 hour sessions of reusing it months later all issues have gone away lol. Crazy. Now I have been using it hooked up to PC for days now. I suspect just letting it condition to the room temperature inside allowed the contacts on cables to reform a good contact. Maybe will work for anyone else if your really patient like me lol.

Comment

Working...
                                        X