No announcement yet.

PC Restarting/ Shutting off abruptly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC Restarting/ Shutting off abruptly.

370, (is that pentium 3 socket 370?)
    There are no Shunts like that. But personally I can confirm it has OCP. I mistakenly touched +12v to case when installing some Lights, the SMPS shut down instantly. It came back after a-unplug-the-cord-plug-it-again song.

also,
    Look again at the pics here-
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=18

Can you show here is the PPFC? The big blue transformer sitting adjacent to the fan?

Comment

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...S/IMG_3949.jpg

that's the (passive) PFC

Comment

370, (is that pentium 3 socket 370?)
        Yeah.

But anyways,

Shorting the 12v to ground (the case) is just short circuit protection, all psu's have that.

Yes, that big inductor next to the fan and primary caps is the PPFC inductor.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
          yeah thats what I thought. The big blue one near the fan.

How much PF improvement can it bring? In range of (effective PF) 0.7~0.8?

Comment

It'll bring it up to anywhere from .7 to .75.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
              The efficiency of a power supply and its PF (power factor) are two different things, I feel they should not be directly compared like they are in this argument.
              YES
              Every time I talk about one or the other 'someone' mixes them together.
              -
              They are related only because to calculate efficiency you need the watts input - and PFC screws with watt input measurements.

The overall efficiency of a power supply may drop due to having more parts for the PFC, however it is probably small
              Exactly the same magnitude as that one PSU's effect to the power companies equipment.

the engineer or engineers who designed the power supply would've implemented more efficient parts elsewhere to help offset the efficiency loss caused by the PFC.
              But those more efficient parts can be used without PFC as well making the PSU even more efficient.

-
              If you wanna have some real fun calculate the efficiencies all the way back to the oil, coal, or nuclear fuel at your power plant.
              For instance calculate how much U-235 [or oil or whatever] you waste if you leave your PC on for year.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                It'll bring it up to anywhere from .7 to .75.
                Thanks mate, you taught me a lot today.

By the way one observation, If I put Lights and RAID array on the same Channel, I can see Lights flickering during spin-ups and Seek. And thats where the problems happen.

With Lights (and the DVD...And fans..) On different channel, The flickering is still preset, but far less.

Upon reading some data sheets at the Seagates, they say each HDD takes 2.8 Amps for spin up (not sure if thats combined 12v+5v) and with more HDDs it gets serious.

Comment

Originally posted by bhvm
                  Wow folks,
                  Did I mis some battle?
                  We are only nice to new people.
                  Once you hit 100 posts you'd better bring your boxing gloves.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                    That's the coil for it.
                    Is the rest mounted under the coil?

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                      YES

For instance calculate how much U-235 [or oil or whatever] you waste if you leave your PC on for year.

Thats damm bad!

We're already starving for electricity over here. The 6 hour power cut will painfully increase to 8 or 10 in summers.

I have a laptop for all the 'light' tasks such as surfing, chatting, downloading and music. I only fire up this beast when I need to edit Videos/photos ( I do HDRs) or enjoy some game.

And yeah, does Ghost sniper look completely Captivating on the 9800GT or what!?

Comment

Originally posted by bhvm
                        By the way one observation, If I put Lights and RAID array on the same Channel, I can see Lights flickering during spin-ups and Seek. And thats where the problems happen.

With Lights (and the DVD...And fans..) On different channel, The flickering is still preset, but far less.
                        that clearly doesn't sound good

Comment

May be a cheap logisys or other brand inverter being used for those CCFL's.

Comment

The dirty little secert about those reviews is both the 4-1850 and the Kill-A-Watt they used don't check Power Factor
                            Sorry, but this is not correct. They both do. I don't test for PF, but that doesn't mean I can't

The units that can actually fool them are few and far between. I've had only two in three years I think. Usually when the efficiency numbers are off in comparison to the 80 Plus test results, it means I have a test equipment failure to go find.

Had it happen not long ago when the Diablotek "1050W" unit blew out on the primary side. It fried the current measuring shunt resistor inside the Brand. From there on out, everything read light until I replaced the resistor. The KAW was ok... it has a beefier shunt.

That said, these aren't the most accurate meters in creation (5% for the KAW, 2% for the Brand), which is why I'm upgrading soon. The Brand is currently more accurate than ever, but it's still not quite the caliber of test equipment I need. Especially now that I'm using the Tektronix scope.

Comment

PFC allows the power companies to MOVE the heat losses in their equipment into their consumers equipment.

- Does that save any energy --- NOPE!
                              - Is that Green --- NOPE!

Man I see it now, you either don't have a clue about energetic industry or you're totaly insane.

It's not only heat loses. The electricity which is not used, I mean the passive power, has to flow back to power plant. It means even hundreds of thousands kilometers of wires!! The loses are far worse, PFC could add what, 1 % extra heat? Loses in energetic distribution grid are up to 15 %.

So I'd rather pay few extra cents per year for PFC than several extra cents per every kW if distributors had to build far more robust grids!!
                              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

other parts of the psu's are much more efficient and put out much less heat than old designs
                                OLD NEWS - That was already one of my points here.
                                - Good god I must have said that in 20 threads by now..
                                Newer PSUs are more efficient due to improvements THAT DON'T HAVE SQUAT TO DO WITH PFC.

Newer PSUs are ~NOT~ more efficient due to PFC.
                                -- That claim by manufacturers is an outright LIE.
                                > PFC wastes heat > in YOUR house
                                > and YOU use more AC to take that heat back out of your house.
                                -- In the summer it's a double whammy..
                                You not only get to pay for the power companies heat losses,,,
                                you get to pay some more to dissipate the heat from it.
                                [How does that save consumers anything,,, except maybe in winter..]

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

I was never ever talking about PFC directly related to increased efficiency.

I simply agreed that newer designs are more efficient due to new topologies and lower loss parts.

Yes, I agree manufacturers should not say that APFC makes psu's more efficient. Many of them do.

What I was talking about is apparent power vs active power, and having a higher pf simply saves the power companies money and makes psu's a little less efficient (and expensive)
                                  Last edited by 370forlife; 07-18-2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot
                                    Man I see it now, you either don't have a clue about energetic industry or you're totaly insane.
                                    I must be insane then.
                                    I'm a retired nuc plant operator.
                                    Also been an electric plant operator on a 2 Gigawatt 4160v grid.

The stuff you see in ads is bull shit.
                                    You see it so many times you believe it.

Guess what.
                                    SATA 3.0 doesn't any faster than SATA 1.5.
                                    [Except for maybe the first 4-5 milliseconds.]
                                    Same thing.
                                    The stuff you see in ads is bull shit.
                                    You see it so many times you believe it.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

I was never ever talking about PFC directly related to increased efficiency.
                                      That's who you worded it bro...

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

That's who you worded it bro...
                                        Show me the example of when I did that. I want to see this.

Comment

The overall efficiency of a power supply may drop due to having more parts for the PFC, however it is probably small
                                          Exactly the same magnitude as that one PSU's effect to the power companies equipment.
                                          New PSUs WITH APFC nowadays go up to 90% efficiency.

And if APFC were so inefficient the rest of PSU would need to be over 100% efficient to cover it up for APFC and to still achieve 90% as a whole PSU (probably even to get 80%).

Newer PSUs are ~NOT~ more efficient due to PFC.
                                          Also, most of people here agreed that with you 20 or more posts before. No need to say it again.

Comment

Working...
                                          X