Antec Truepower 380S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec Truepower 380S

I recently acquired an old Antec TP-380S and while I was removing the Fujjyyu capacitors (which looked remarkably intact) I noted that one of the primary input capacitors (Panasonic 820uF 200v) had a slightly domed top.

I've never bothered with the primaries before as they've always proven to be fine in past rebuilds... but I suppose there's always a first time eh? This unit is supposedly unique to Antec's Sonata case line up being fitted with only 1 (low RPM/noise) cooling fan instead of the usual Truepower Series configuration of 2, this may be the reason for the primary's degradation

Has anyone had any prior experience with these altered 380w PSUs before?

Thanks to davmax I was able to source some otherwise locally unobtainable 2200uF 16v Samxons and complete this project
    Attached Files
    Viva LA Retro!

Re: Antec Truepower 380S

Yes, replace that primary. In fact, replace both of them. They both got too hot!

Comment

It's only 85*C rated, so if it's in a hot running power supply, it wouldn't be that hard to kill, even though it's a panny.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        Yes, replace that primary. In fact, replace both of them. They both got too hot!

Yes I have to say I thought the same thing... I pulled 2 x 1000uF 200v primaries from a dying Codegen 550w PSU and used those, so far the Antec has been running flawlessly though I really need to address the low RPM fan as it's in an Athlon 2100+ gaming system (2100's ran really hot right off the bat), thankfully the case is well ventilated

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        It's only 85*C rated, so if it's in a hot running power supply, it wouldn't be that hard to kill, even though it's a panny.
        Yeah still it's a pity about the Panny's though

EDIT: I notice you like to toss bad caps into fires c_hegge... isn't it cool how the pop?
        Last edited by tazwegion; 10-08-2011, 03:40 AM.
        Viva LA Retro!

Comment

easiest way I find to adjust the fan in those older antecs is to put a 2.4K resistor in paralell with the thermistor.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by tazwegion View Post
            Yes I have to say I thought the same thing... I pulled 2 x 1000uF 200v primaries from a dying Codegen 550w PSU and used those, so far the Antec has been running flawlessly though I really need to address the low RPM fan as it's in an Athlon 2100+ gaming system (2100's ran really hot right off the bat), thankfully the case is well ventilated

Yeah still it's a pity about the Panny's though

EDIT: I notice you like to toss bad caps into fires c_hegge... isn't it cool how the pop?
            You didn't put crap caps in did you?

Comment

Originally posted by tazwegion View Post
              It's very cool. I love seeing them pop and it's a great way to get revenge on those fuhjyyus that kill your PSUs (and motherboards).

What's even cooler is CMOS batteries. When they pop, bright blue sparks go everywhere, like DIY fireworks.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                easiest way I find to adjust the fan in those older antecs is to put a 2.4K resistor in paralell with the thermistor.
                Excellent suggestion, many thanks!

Originally posted by Rulycat View Post
                You didn't put crap caps in did you?
                No I used the best quality capacitors I had on hand at the time... the system has been run hard these school holidays without issue so considering the small outlay for parts I'm happy with the outcome
                Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Working...
                X