Arc gaps on circuit boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arc gaps on circuit boards?

On old circuit boards I'd regularly see traces with little pointy areas to act as arc gaps, usually at the AC input or where low voltage signals connected to the outside world. Why do I no longer see those arc gaps very much?

Re: Arc gaps on circuit boards?

I see them quite regularly on modern PCBs. It's a cheaper way of reducing the arc which occurs due to the line filters.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Can you post a picture of what you mean? I cant figure out exactly what you guys are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB1972 View Post
        Can you post a picture of what you mean? I cant figure out exactly what you guys are talking about.
        Same here, I never even heard of an arc gap.

Comment

I third that - no clue what's being discussed.

Comment

See first picture in this page, circled in blue: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginne...s-about-a-pcb/

Follow the posts below for explanations..

As to why not seen anymore these days... i couldn't tell you a specific reason.

Comment

Ah, now I get it. Maybe because power is much better these days?

Comment

Here's what I mean, the little pointy areas on the copper traces, between the input and ground traces. The screw connectors are for the wall buttons of a 20-year-old Stanley garage door opener. I've seen similar pointy areas on the circuit board of a power supply from an original IBM PC, on the 120VAC side between ground and hot and between ground and neutral.
                Attached Files

Comment

So what exactly is their purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                    So what exactly is their purpose?
                    Surge protection?

Comment

Usually I see them designed in for ESD protection. Some regulatory tests simulate human-body static electricity pulses i.e. 100pF+1k5 resistor at up to 25kV. In Canada static electricity is so bad in winter you can easily generate that.
                      Some instrumentation/RTU's where lightning can reach their inputs, will use spark gaps but their breakdown voltage is wishy washy and they etch away quickly, so not great for recurring spikes or big spikes.
                      The spark-gap is a free way to deal with a low-energy HV spike. I think a MOV works better but costs more.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                        In Canada static electricity is so bad in winter you can easily generate that.
                        Yup, and here in Alberta in the winter a single cat and a wool carpet can power a small town.
                        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
                          yup, and here in alberta in the winter a single cat and a wool carpet can power a small town.
                          lol!
                          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

But the cats all go to sleep at the same time so you need idle base load power at the ready. The cost of free cat power + idle base load power is no less than the cost of running the base load all the time and letting the cats sleep the remaining hour.
                            sig files are for morons

Comment

could be tin whiskers. Might not see them much anymore cause of new mixtures of solder
                              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                could be tin whiskers. Might not see them much anymore cause of new mixtures of solder
                                In the 1980s IBM PC PSU I saw the pinty areas were untinned copper, and the board in the picture is about 20 years old.

Comment

An excellent way to protect inputs of electronics components from the very high voltages of ESD and EMI spikes is to use spark gaps. These can be built into your circuit board as parts of the PC board etch.

Comment

I don't find arc gaps that great... you'll still end up with a several kV spike which is too much for the components downstream.
                                    One trick I do is ESD gun the board in a dark room. You can see where the arc is, Murphy's law takes effect and the spark gap can do nothing but instead the arc happens on unexpected pcb traces.
                                    Example is a 0.5mm spark gap gives theoretical 3kV breakdown (with no soldermask). Okay, now that it's from 10kV to 3kV - then what? It can still hop across a resistor and take out the semi's.

In the old days, spark gaps were on CRT sockets to stop arcing and corona from destroying the video amplifiers, later they used spark-gap capacitors.
                                    Nowadays, I think spark gaps are used only to pass IEC-61000 regulatory ESD tests.

For lightning you have to use MOV's or gas-tube arrestors, because the spike has so much energy.

Comment

I don't normally include printed arc gaps in circuit diagrams, unless they are in series with a component.
                                      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                                      X