X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's main rig V3, maybe

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
    you can do even better by getting a mini ITX server board /w an Atom D525

One thing that makes server boards so expensive isn't 'higher grade parts'...its the remote management software. Built in firmware connected to a specific NIC port grants someone who has rights to reboot, flash the bios, or, if supported, take PS2-controller-emulation over the system, not requiring any kind of remote software
    IPMI is awesome
    But Ratdude747 doesn't need it.

Comment

Atom is the new Celeron. Same power & price as the good stuff but a lot slower. Have you built a D525 system that idles at 17W wall?

The 1155 P8B-M has IPMI and iSCSI boot capability which RD might want until he sees the price.
      sig files are for morons

Comment

I could care less about IPMI. It's all about BUILD QUALITY.

I take it nobody out here share's my vision... Maybe I should quit posting build threads.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          I could care less about IPMI. It's all about BUILD QUALITY.

I take it nobody out here share's my vision... Maybe I should quit posting build threads.
          Maybe you should not be butthurt when like half a dozen people have tried to get you to understand that what you're doing DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            Maybe you should not be butthurt when like half a dozen people have tried to get you to understand that what you're doing DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!
            I'm not butthurt, rather frustrated.

First it was my D630. Now it's this. Nobody gets me or my vision. Maybe I need to start putting black sheep stickers on my stuff since nobody likes them.

I'm misunderstood... always have been, looks like I always will be.

Heck, V2 never got this bad of a rap... Granted, most everything worked in it (unlike this rig that has had some hiccups).

I think the fundamental problem is that where you think I'm bitching, I'm really stating a challenge. I don't mind challenges... but apparently mentioning them = bitching.

Ok, so some if the challenges have been kinda frustrating (where a company as mainstream as AMD can't even make a workstation chip suite for a 64 bith CPU that completely works with any 64 bit OS). Ok, no windows vista/7 support, I can see that. But no support for linux (even when the board was new), which is very much a workstation/server OS, that blows my mind. 3ware and company had support for linux back then... why not AMD? Why? [/end rant]

This very well may be my last project thread. Heck, maybe even my last project post. If all that's going to happen is my threads get pissed on, then I'm not going to waste my time. Every lengthy post (esp. with pictures) I put a lot of work into... and the thanks I get is a bunch of jeers telling me to sledgehammer it and build a slapped together POS. I'm fine with criticism, but only constructive criticism relevant to the build in question. Like "I personally would have routed that cable there" or "I wouldn't have used that card, but this card might have been a better choice", not "I think you messed up by building this rig, you should toss it and kill your hobby". From what's been said, I've been getting a lot of the latter, and that doesn't do me any good.

Here's my current plan:

1. I'll leave the thread open for now, but if it gets bad, I'm closing it.
            2. If I end up converting it to a K8WE rig, I'll put it in a new thread, this time being specific on what the rig is and isn't supposed to be.
            sigpic

Comment

the thanks I get is a bunch of jeers telling me to sledgehammer it and build a slapped together POS. I'm fine with criticism, but only constructive criticism relevant to the build in question. Like "I personally would have routed that cable there" or "I wouldn't have used that card, but this card might have been a better choice", not "I think you messed up by building this rig, you should toss it and kill your hobby".
              Nobody said you should take a sledgehammer to it. And nobody said anything about killing any hobby...
              If you close/delete the thread we will assume you agree with us and have realized what you're doing doesn't make sense

Comment

Nobody said you should take a sledgehammer to it. And nobody said anything about killing any hobby...
                Explicitly, no. But is the meaning there? yes. In my mind, selling off parts to something is a s good as lsedgehammering it (after all, I couldn't have botha POS new rig AND Main rig 3/3.5). Therefore, Building a new POS rig would also pretty much kill the hobby (yeah, V2, would still be around, but it would be a back burner item).

And closing the thread is my way of saying "I don't care what anybody has to say, screw it all". If you interpret such a move any other way, then you're mistaken.
                sigpic

Comment

after all, I couldn't have botha POS new rig AND Main rig 3/3.5). Therefore, Building a new POS rig would also pretty much kill the hobby
                  You obviously have plenty of time/space/money for all this so why not.

Comment

Don't worry ratdude, I'm in the same boat as you. I got 12 cores and 8 gigs for $50, I don't really care what people have to say about it being sub-optimal. I'm aware its not the fastest, but it was quite cheap to build and with 2 9800gt's it will run Autodesk Inventor 2013 no problem and can run FarCry 3 on high settings just fine.

And to answer a question earlier in the thread, I would much rather drive an old Mack truck everyday than a 2010 Camaro.

Comment

You obviously have plenty of time/space/money for all this so why not.
                      See the bye-bye astro thread... and since you're VIP, the wheels V2 thread... A large chunk of my savings is going bye bye.
                      sigpic

Comment

these complications come up when it comes to poorly supported hardware. The AMD AGP chip was not something AMD should of done. But it makes sense they would not support it for Win7 cause of its age

you can get a workstation build, but those usually require some moolah

^^and for the person up there who said atom is the new celeron they're wrong. Intel released a low wattage ivy-bridge based celeron BGA chip on many new Mini ITX combo boards. Its the celeron 800 series

rat, there is only so much anyone can do till software makes things impossible
                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Guys, if thinking about getting a 3770K or 3570K, I would just wait for the "Haswell" platform.

The i7 3820 is a waste of money with the "Haswell" platform around the corner!
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                            Guys, if thinking about getting a 3770K or 3570K, I would just wait for the "Haswell" platform.

The i7 3820 is a waste of money with the "Haswell" platform around the corner!
                            I was speaking hypothetically. No way I'd buy one with my own money.

Board came in, no go. The seller is being classy and emailing me a shipping label to return it...

No luck on finding a mobo under budget... the one guy will only sell it as a lot (and it's missing the SLI bridge, which I don't think can be replaced). I may see on the replaceabilty of the SLI bridge... if it's not like i think it is, then I'm going back to V2, since V3 is utterly useless ( I can't get half of my stuff to run).

Lesson: If you want compatibilty, go intel (I've yet to have an issue with true intel non-GPU stuff).

edit- looks like all SLI bridges are too long, as IIRC 70mm is too long. I could use a flexible cable though (they're cheap on ebay).
                            Last edited by ratdude747; 05-30-2013, 03:04 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I was speaking hypothetically. No way I'd buy one with my own money.

Board came in, no go. The seller is being classy and emailing me a shipping label to return it...

No luck on finding a mobo under budget... the one guy will only sell it as a lot (and it's missing the SLI bridge, which I don't think can be replaced). I may see on the replaceabilty of the SLI bridge... if it's not like i think it is, then I'm going back to V2, since V3 is utterly useless ( I can't get half of my stuff to run).

Lesson: If you want compatibilty, go intel (I've yet to have an issue with true intel non-GPU stuff).

edit- looks like all SLI bridges are too long, as IIRC 70mm is too long. I could use a flexible cable though (they're cheap on ebay).
                              My board came with the SLI bridge the first time the seller sent it to me. I sent it back to him, and he sent me another without the sli bridge. Figures. I just bought a flexible Asus one off amazon and all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post

Consumer hardware simply has fewer points of failure.
                                Actually, I'm worried about later chip tech. The later the tech, the more points of failure, especially with the die shrinking!

And it didn't help that Intel decided on LGA socket tech!

At least since Core i7 and i5, there's been reports coming in of fried socket pins!
                                Apparently from poor contact!

I don't want to say this, consumer hardware is more prone to crap components!
                                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-30-2013, 06:31 PM.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Actually, I'm worried about later chip tech. The later the tech, the more points of failure, especially with the die shrinking!

And it didn't help that Intel decided on LGA socket tech!

At least since Core i7 and i5, there's been reports coming in of fried socket pins!
                                  Apparently from poor contact!

I don't want to say this, consumer hardware is more prone to crap components!
                                  Most server processors use LGA now. In fact, AMD's normal processors still use PGA (with some exceptions), where as their newer Opteron's use LGA.
                                  Last edited by 370forlife; 05-30-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Heat === failure. Little else matters. VIA has the lowest motherboard failure rate and it's wasn't because their tech was better. They ran the coolest. Seems VIA was more interested in low heat than nick'n a few more percents off the benchmarks. It shows.

Cool chips, long life. nVidia wouldn't have gone up in flames nearly so fast had their chips been engineered to run cool.
                                    sig files are for morons

Comment

Here's the situation:

I don't really have the funds to comfortably do this (buying a vehicle on monday, I'll only have $1000 in the account until I get my van sold). Yeah, the money is there, but until I sell that van I don't think $170 is safe to spend in one shot. (Or I might)

But if it was, here's what I'd buy:

K8WE -wasn't able to negotiate, best deal I saw, not even the denutted (one LAN port) HP version could be found cheaper. If you have one and want to sell it, PM me.

2 9600's- they run a lot cooler than the 9800 and also draw less power (this setup draws as much as the current setup actually). Since SLI = 90% boost over a single GPU, that ought to be the kind of power I need to run things well (newer cards either draw more juice or can't SLI).

Flexible SLI bridge - since the above was missing the SLI brige (and rigid ones can't be found less than 70mm), a flexible one will have to do.

That would do it... and down the road, I could upgrade it to SATA opticals (I already have a DVD burner, I could add a blue ray drive if I wanted to). But otherwise my true dream rig would be complete.

Oh, and one more thing: any off topic comments regarding ivy bridge celerons or the like will be deleted from here on out.

^ said, Should I just spend the $170 and be done with it? Or should I wait and pray the current deals don't go bye bye (with no better deal to replace it)? Either way, the current setup is going to go bye bye.. the GPU will be returned to V2, and I'll swap sound cards (and try to undo the AC97 to HD conversion).

edit- FYI, the k8WE's SLI runs at full 16x :

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/152/2/

None of that 8x SLI bulcrap. Should actually run decently. Now I need to convince myself $170 is OK to spend right now (or to find a K8WE for a lot cheaper, I'd settle for maybe $75ish)
                                      Last edited by ratdude747; 05-31-2013, 01:18 AM.
                                      sigpic

Comment

you don't really needs SLI do you? Win7 should run on a single 9600 with no problem, linux too. Only if you're gaming would this matter, and even at that some games don't like sli, especially older (pre CUDA) SLI
                                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

SLI won't bring you 90% performance increase. It will vary from game to game, but usually you may have anything between 40% and about 80% performance increase.

The PCI Express bandwidth won't matter much, since the synchronization and important sli stuff would be done through the flex cable.

And otherwise, the difference between pci express x8 and x16 is generally about 1-3% of performance, you lose about 1 frame per second out of 60. Hardly anything to worry about. That ancient gpu is not even capable of saturating a x8 slot bandwidth.

You might also want to check what pci express VERSION is that nForce processional 2200 chipset capable of handling - i have a strong suspicion it can only do pci express 1.1, in which case the bandwidth is only about 8 GB/s compared to pci express 2.0 which can do 16 GB/s, so then your pci express x16 is sort of like a pci express x8. But anyway, it's pointless discussion, the DDR1 can do about 12 GB/s maximum bandwidth and the fact that you have 16 modules doesn't help, afaik it's still only dual channel (so 12gb with dual channel) so pci express x8, x16 ... makes no difference in your case.

Generally, especially with older cards, it's not worth the effort.

9600 GT is based on an ancient gpu. It's a 2008 chip that's basically a re-spin/"upgrade" (minor improvements) of the 8600 GTS that was launched in 2007. The more current "GT 240" is also basically a renamed 9600 GT.. nVidia loves just renaming products and charging the same from crap.

It's also probably supports a maximum of DirectX 10 and OpenGL 2.0, which means bye bye to newer games.

If you're up for paying 60$ +shipping for two shitty cards, you're better off paying about 65-70$ (50-60$ after mail in rebate card but don't count on it) for a card like Radeon 6670:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102988
                                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125430

Maybe about 30-50% faster than a single 9600gt but supports DirectX 11, OpenGL 4.1, dvi+vga+hdmi, about 10w @idle, under 75w at load (compared to about 95w for each 9600gt), support for 3 monitors and eyefinity etc etc

You can see here a comparison between 6670 and 8800GT, which should be actually a bit faster than 9600GT: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/521?vs=613
                                          The 6670 still beats it anywhere it counts.
                                          Last edited by mariushm; 05-31-2013, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X