Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's Main rig V3.5

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
    most of the time blue ray drives come with a copy of a full blown player of some sort, cyberlink or whatnot. Mine did
    New drives yes. I was looking at used drives w/o disc.

edit- already working on a new drive, bought a HL DVD RW with lightscribe for $17 on fleabay.
    Last edited by ratdude747; 08-02-2013, 03:22 PM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
      ... 32bit applications running on 64bit windows would use the same amount of memory as on 32bit OS ...
      With /LARGEADDRESSAWARE 32bit programs can use 4GB on 64bit Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by TELVM View Post
        With /LARGEADDRESSAWARE 32bit programs can use 4GB on 64bit Windows.

That is what they can use, not what they will use and is a reference to addressing rather than memory footprint (a 32-bit integer is still a 32-bit integer no matter whether it's stored in the lower 2GB or the upper 2GB of the address space)

And we're off topic again >.< (sorry RD!)

Comment

The replacement HDD for the replacement HDD that died came in. Oddly, it's seal stickers match the other 3... and no bad sectors. No pending sectors. perfect health.

So far so good... which leads me to wonder if the "D1" marks on the good drive's stickers means something... Very odd indeed.
          sigpic

Comment

Here's some HDD pictures:

The good drives have stickers that say "D1":

While the two failed ones have blank stickers:

I swore a saw a granular like texture under the clear plastic parts of the stickers... which almost makes me think it's some sort of shock/failure dector somehow.

It could also be a coinicdance. I have no idea... any thoughts?

PS- It seems my new card reaser has already shat on me... won't see my XD M+ card. Given it's a newer reader, It's probably toast and needs RMA'd?
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

Installed the card reader icon pack from AFT, rebooted, seems to be working again.

Doing some cable cleanup, will take pics.
              sigpic

Comment

So you're using three in RAID0? I would personally find an HDTune benchy interesting?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                  So you're using three in RAID0? I would personally find an HDTune benchy interesting?
                  3+ HDDs in RAID 0 rox!
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                    Until my debit card comes in and I can get a legit W7 disc. Then it will be 4 in Raid 0.

For now, It's running the 3 plus the 4th as a single drive.

---

I had a little f-up moment... killed another drive!

This one was one that I broke the SATA jack on and had re-glued... the glue failed when I unplugged it today.

However, since I now have a dead drive to cannibalize, I decided to fix it the BCN way... Connector Swap!

The failure:

The good news is they used through-hole connector blocks:

They were a bit of a pain, but nowhere near as bad as SMD would have been.

Fixed:

When I first powered it up, I got the click of death...

I took the board back off, and found the connection pads for the drive motor and RW head were FILTHY. Not sure if it was solder fumes or what (the board I desoldered the connection block from didn't get this dirty...

I cleaned the contacts, and voila, it spun up normally. No data loss or anything. All works well.

Yeah, I'm a hack, but I was sick of writing off raptors.

edit- while I was in there, I think I may have figured out the D1 sticker thing... the black-sticker drives had screw hole seals marked with "D3", while the "D1" units had blank screw seals. Maybe they're a different revision or something?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ratdude747; 08-07-2013, 06:58 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Sheeesh man ... get some isopropyl alcohol and some wipes and clean that flux off the pcb.

And I'd suggest getting some liquid flux next time... those solder joints look like cold joints, they shouldn't be so round, they should be a bit concave.

Comment

Sheeesh man ... get some isopropyl alcohol and some wipes and clean that flux off the pcb.

And I'd suggest getting some liquid flux next time... those solder joints look like cold joints, they shouldn't be so round, they should be a bit concave.

I did use flux... I used a kester flux pen liberally when desoldering.

They're not cold joints, I swear.

I almost never clean my no clean flux... It's no clean for a reason. However, I'll clean this one and get a few pics after, hopefully showing my joints are indeed good.
                        sigpic

Comment

I didn't say it's bad that it's there, just that it's really ugly and (I assume) sticky.

No clean fluxes are still corrosive, it's just that it's so slow at corroding and doing damage that you can leave it there with no problems.

Comment

I didn't say it's bad that it's there, just that it's really ugly and (I assume) sticky.

No clean fluxes are still corrosive, it's just that it's so slow at corroding and doing damage that you can leave it there with no problems.
                            I cleaned it. Happy?

It wasn't sticky. My rosin paste flux, that does get sticky.This stuff dries and hardens.

I didn't take the pic because I saw what you were probably seeing... due to the camera angle, lighting, etc, they do look cold in the picture. . However, I assure you the joints are properly flowed and are more than adequate.

These boards aren't desinged to be hand-soldered, so they're not going to look perfect. Yeah, they're for the most part solder-heavy to a degree... but my joints tend to be that way on boards like this. Probably because of the thickness of solder I was using. Here's my list of Equipent and supplies I used:
                            • Weller W60-P with an 800F 3mm Chisel tip
                            • MG chemicals 22G (0.032") 63/37 solder, no clean flux @ 2,2%
                            • Chemtronics Chem-wik Rosin-fluxed desoldering braid, 0.075"
                            • Kester #951 Flux pen, low solids, no clean.

Let me guess, that's all wrong too?
                            sigpic

Comment

DVD RW came in. It's complete... I'll take some pics and then do a pictorial.
                              sigpic

Comment

Yay!!!!!! Excited excited excited!!!1

Comment

The pins on those connectors are too short to stick through. All you can get with an iron is solder mounds.
                                  sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
                                    The pins on those connectors are too short to stick through. All you can get with an iron is solder mounds.
                                    My point exactly. they did it that way so the bottom would be flush (drive caddy clearance). why they didn't just SMD it is frankly beyond me.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Finally, I have pictures!

First, the front:

In the background V2 is sitting... I still don't have a use/home for it... If anybody local wants to borrow it (use it until you don't need it, then give it back), let me know. I put too much work into it to sell it or trash it... but it's too good to collect dust... it's probably one the best AGP rigs ever and also one of the best non-64 ones as well). When it came to web surfing and productivity, I couldn't beat it...

Anyway, back to V3...

The back, with and w/o cables:

Yes, I know it's mising two thumbscres from the side panel... I had lost those, but later found and installed them after shooting the pics. Of course, they're not stock either, but I had them in a junk pile, so why the hell not.

The guts, an overview:

Sorry for the crappy angle. Actually, sorry for the crappy pic quality... this newer Olympus Stylus 7010 hasn't been all that great. Once I get my Canon A640 back from my lady's best friend, my pic quality hopefully will improve.

Note the lack of ribbon cables... that's right, it's 100% sata. Two opticals, 4 HDDs (via controller). I love being able to toss any optical drive I want in it... heck, my may Blu-ray eventually if prices on BD-RW drives (w/ software) ever go down (because if I can read it, I want to be able to burn it with something too). For now, I'll stick to what I have

Being a wire nazi, I exiled away all the now unused moxlex/berg connectors:

The only unused space in the case is the lower front bay:

Suppossedly supermicro makes an add-on to go there... it holds 4 2.5" drives. My guess would be for an SSD RAID array... not that I plan to.

A massive power umbilical cord:

I love how that turned out... makes for only 3 power bundles (optical SATA, HDD SATA, and Mobo/GPU).

Twin PWM coolers:

I was thinkign I might need to upgrade to like a couple CM TX3's, but so far my temps have been good. Like under 50C most of the time (under 55 easily).

The only reason to upgraded would be to reduce noice, and due to the house's HVAC being behind me, it's had to tell nuch about noise. Props go to AMD for at least keeping the cooler latch design the same all this time so I can still get mountable coolers readily.

Speaking of cooling:

The rear fan model. Note the cobwebs... that must have been from when it sat awaiting the K8WE board. the other parts a spider made into a home, but I didn't catch that until I shot the pic... given that the fans are only dong 1100-1200 RPM (PWM stepped it down), no wonder they didn't budge. Don't worry, it still moves tons of air.

And for the front fan and all the cables nearby:

I like how everything seems to be out of the fan's way... no grille needed (good thing since I'm using rubber fan mounts).

The flex-bridge for SLI worked out well:

and those nice vented slot fillers that came with the case do actually have GPU air comign out. The GPU's run hot (around 70C), but the fan's aren't too loud (compared to startup)... so I figure it's the fan curve of the card. Not sure if that's too hot...

My only other guess is that I didn't use high-end thermal compound when I redid it (everything (CPUs and GPUs) uses the silicone based stuff in tubes at ratshack, made by synco. I didn't think it mattered to much, and being made in USA, I figured it would do ok... It was really low cost too... problem?

Last, since somebody on the forum once made the point about card readers with exposed back-ends being an issue, one would think my reader was problem since it appears to have an open back. However, it's not:

FYI, I did check the windows performance index... it's rated at 6.2, which for a rig this old, is pretty awesome IMHO. I've had no performance issues aero-wise, so I think it may be biased towards newer HW (probably to increase sales of new hardware).

So, any comments or questions? I may post some other stuff ... if anybody has a benchmark utility they want me to run and post a score of (free ones only), then I'll do so.
                                      Attached Files
                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                        The rear fan model. Note the cobwebs... that must have been from when it sat awaiting the K8WE board. the other parts a spider made into a home, but I didn't catch that until I shot the pic...
                                        Looks like you have some computer bugs to deal with. At least you get a free website out of it

Jokes aside, it looks great.
                                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Looks nice... my only nitpick would be the use of those plastic things used to tie cables together.
                                          I hate those, I like to use velcro.

Comment

Working...
                                          X