Heatsink for Geforce 6100 south bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heatsink for Geforce 6100 south bridge?

I have a couple month old Biostar Geforce 6100-M9 board that did not come with a heatsink on the south bridge. It gets so hot that I can't touch it, but I can't find a heatsink that lines up with the two mounting holes by the chip.

I would just glue a heatsink on it, but I don't want to void the warranty on the board. Any ideas where I could find the smaller size heatsink that it calls for?

Re: Heatsink for Geforce 6100 south bridge?

Block of aluminum + drill + plastic/nylon nuts and bolts.
    Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Here's one in copper; http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/encnfoconohe.html

.....but it's pricey.

It looks like the style used by both north & south.

You could always swap the north and south coolers but you'd have to peel up the foam spacer and restick to the new cooler.

--edit--

From the picture of the board i would also be concerned about interference between this cooler and the header (at lower left corner).
      Last edited by gastorgrab; 08-23-2007, 04:22 AM.

Comment

You can mount fans on them, I did that temporarily on my T-force board... the higher end match to the M9... I think you can get some Zalman heatsinks that will work.

Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

I wonder why they show it with a heatsink on the south bridge, but there isn't one on any of the boards that are being sold now, according to others who have bought this board.

I wonder how long it will last without a heatsink. Come to think of it, I should check the Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 that's in my main system, since it uses the same chipset.

Comment

Just an idea, but why not take the north bridge cooler and install it on the southbridge, then get a new cooler for the northbridge. The northbridge needs the cooling more and it should cause fewer problems to install a tall Zalman type cooler on the NB.

You might eventually wan't to put a PCI card in one of those slots and the tall cooler would interfere with a tall SB cooler.

*You may need to peel off the foam gasket on the NB cooler for reuse. (see; http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/micoprru.html)

Comment

I'm pretty sure the north bridge uses a slightly bigger heatsink.

Comment

Only one way to find out.

From the pic above (is it correct?) they look pretty much the same. If the distance between the hold down pins is identical there should be no reason it shouldn't fit.

Comment

double-post

Comment

Working...
                  X