Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap on a DellGX270 right next to Ram slots

Here a camera phone pic.
    It looks like gum or corosion on top of the cap.
    The system symptoms are:
    Booting into windows and then the whole system will freeze in normal mode, it never fails to not do it. Sometimes the system wont even load. Safe mode works perfectly fine!
    Attached Files

Re: Cap on a DellGX270 right next to Ram slots

wonderful pics

gx270 = all nichicon HN or HM series to be replaced and then ok
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

is your opinion that the cap might be the cause?

Comment

whether your nichicon caps are the reason for the problem or not, they have to go. then after replacement further troubleshooting can happen.

Comment

did you search on the forum for gx270?

Comment

Damn, it seems like they are bad boards. Now i will have to get the OK from MGMT to do a mobo swap.

I got a Dell GX260 in on Friday with similar symptoms, LOL..

They used crap suppliers for those systems. I think that the 270 im working on is from Foxconn, not sure about the 260. I haven't opened it yet.

Comment

Well, the other system was a bad HD, that was fixed and out the door already.

I called Dell on the GX270 and they are sending out a tech and a new board. Hope this fixes it! (Crosses Fingers)

Comment

Because it works fine in safe mode, the trail to follow is troubleshooting windows. Set up a clean installation on another hard drive and see if that boots ok in normal mode.

If you have vented caps, yes they have to be replaced, but I suspect that is a secondary problem since safe mode runs... just be sure you fix that secondary problem before it interferes with troubleshooting the primary problem.

Comment

Safe Mode also = less loaded in memory. I had an old Socket A board that would work fine loaded withe Win 98 but not XP. When I installed XP, every time IE opened or I tried to play a game, it would freeze. Bulging caps by the memory slots were the issue. That board is how I ended up here!

Comment

On all the GX270 boards I've done I see heat damage to the board around the two transistor like objects. Badcap, heat damage. Which causes what?
                    sig files are for morons

Comment

I'm typing this from a GX260 I received in 2003.. yep we use the latest and greatest here .. LOL

No problem with mine and the half dozen or so I've looked into around here...
                      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Working...
                      X