Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > General Electronics Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
vsmGuy

City & State: southern california
Question Mixing logic families

Guys,

Is it advisable to interface LS family digital logic parts with a uC like AT89C52 or PIC, or should I use HC parts instead ?

For example, would it be a good idea to connect a 74LS74 to the above mentioned uC pins or would it be better to connect a 74HC74 ?

An anecdotes and ideas/suggestions ?
vsmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
shadow
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Melbourne, Victoria
My Country: Australia
Default Re: Mixing logic families

I have not looked at those chips yet, however mixing logic families can give you alot of problems. The chips that you use have to be compatible with each other otherwise it is a real nightmare getting it to work the way you would want it. The easiest way of making sure that chips are compatible is to use chips from the same series from the same manufacturer if possible. That way you do not need to look at data sheets and deduce whether your chips will work with each other.

Having said this, the main aspects that you will be interested in the datasheet is the minimum voltage recognised as a 'high' and the maximum voltage recognised as a 'low'.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
gg1978
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Jamestown, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 117VAC, 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

what kind of voltage do you have on the output pins of the PIC or Atmel uC?? If they're 3.3V, i wouldn't use a LS series myself, but at 5V it should be fine. Technically speaking regular TTL "should" be OK at 3.3V, as logic high is anything between 2.0 and 5.0x V..

HC should work either way, as long as you're within voltage specs.. Also LVTTL is an option if your chip is 3.3V or less.. Not sure how low LVTTL can go..

Make sure if you use a CMOS based chip to tie unused inputs to either Vss or Vcc, or it's possible to damage them.. Or it was back when i was in electronics school anyway..

Last edited by gg1978; 01-08-2008 at 03:55 PM..
gg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
PeteS in CA
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: San Jose, CA
My Country: USA, Unsure of Planet
Line Voltage: 120VAC, 60Hz & 115VAC, 400Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

Their V(cc) have to match (74LS uses +5V). Beyond that, the 74LS has to be able to operate at the clock frequency for the uC. So you need to look at the max. operating frequency for the 74LS series.

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.
Anti-Covid-Vaxxer pig crap claim/prediction, Doctor: Heart Failure from mRNA Jabs "Will Kill Most People" | Principia Scientific Intl. ; Dr. Geert Vanden Bossche Warns COVID-19 Jab Injuries and Deaths Will Soon "Collapse Our Health System" (VIDEO) ; Fully Vaxxed May 2021; Since that time I've done 7 5Ks, 1 8K, 8 10Ks, and 4 half marathons
PeteS in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
vsmGuy

City & State: southern california
Thumbs up Re: Mixing logic families

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteS in CA
Their V(cc) have to match (74LS uses +5V). Beyond that, the 74LS has to be able to operate at the clock frequency for the uC. So you need to look at the max. operating frequency for the 74LS series.
Very nicely answered !

The ATMEL 89 series and PIC seem to have TTL compatible IO. Hence, LS should not be a problem.

I was sorry I did not mention this, because I had a mind block with the clock freq.

What I was querying about was whether anyone had speed sunc issues.

LS logic hit the max at ~25Mhz whereas HC at ~65Mhz, unless I am mistaken.
vsmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
byteexp

i think there should be no problem mixing atmels or pic micros with other logic familys, LS are for low-speed circuit (4mhz?) while HC are for high speed circuits (20Mhz?)

it will be based on the design and purpose of the circuit.
byteexp is offline   Reply With Quote