Windows Vista Pretty Much Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows Vista Pretty Much Sucks

Had to do it so I done it. Just put Windows 7 ultimate on this dog. Yes Sir! P4 2.4, 512 megs of ram with an ATI 7000 something junk Video card. Its running it somewhat I guess....LOL My Dell Dimension 4550 running Windows 7.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Comment

Check your Task Manager... you still have a few megs left to do some work.
      I have W7 running in a VM, and it only eats about 323mb.

Comment

Couldn't do much of anything with W7. Gave it the Axe last night, and I'm back on Xp Home. I also couldn't find most any setting that I wished to change in W7. If I could have gotten it to look and act somewhat like Xp I may have played with it a few days. As it is, if vista is anything like W7 they both suck big peperoni's!!!!!!!
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
        Rod Serling

Comment

Vista can be made tolerable by completely disabling the UAC component that chronically begs for permission to do...

We have gotten along just fine from Win 3.1 through WinXP without UAC, thank you. Unless you have some compelling reason for Vista/Win7, avoid it.

Buy a Mac.

Comment

Try Linux first. Not just Ubuntu either.

Mac? Excuse me for a minute...

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
              Couldn't do much of anything with W7. Gave it the Axe last night, and I'm back on Xp Home. I also couldn't find most any setting that I wished to change in W7. If I could have gotten it to look and act somewhat like Xp I may have played with it a few days. As it is, if vista is anything like W7 they both suck big peperoni's!!!!!!!
              Hi JunkParts!

Having dabbled with Windows Seven a bit, I feel that it is a VAST IMPROVEMENT over V(bleep!)sta for both performance and usability.

It is different than XP, but you can eventually get past that.
              Great Idea-> Discontinue the most popular and profitable OS of all time and replace it with something vastly different in layout that requires learning it all over again!

Maybe your older system is just not strong enough for Seven? It is still based upon V(bleep!)sta which is probably the biggest resource hog of an OS of all time.

That article I read eons ago was (eventually) right.... the future belongs to UNIX!

Get some Linux or buy a Mac! (Leopard is a certified UNIX OS)
              Mac User
              Keri

Thinking of changing my avatar to this:
              Attached Files
              The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

So far, Windows 7 looks and behaves almost exactly like Windows Vista. It performs almost exactly like Vista. And it breaks all sorts of things that used to work just fine under Vista. In other words, Microsoft's follow-up to its most unpopular OS release since Windows Me threatens to deliver zero measurable performance benefits while introducing new and potentially crippling compatibility issues.
                Randall Kennedy, InfoWorld
                November 2008

Comment

Has it changed since November 2008?
                  A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion

Mine differs from his tho :P
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Win7 is slated for Christmas delivery this year.
                      The latest press shows MS is still uncommitted on its upgrade policy, but is leaning toward cheap/free upgrades for all Vista purchases up through the end of this year.

If Win7 remains consumer oriented (movies, digital rights, etc), the business community will give it the finger once again. XP volume licenses do not expire, so I doubt they will throw them away just because MS says "no more support."

Evidently the UAC is tightly bound to the architecture. Disabling UAC in Win7 seems to be causing problems that were not present in Vista. IMO, these extra ordinary steps taken in the OS to protect the user from himself are a dead end.

It seems that a home Proxy Server (linux) is a far more intelligent solution to protect users from the Internet. You can vscan, cache, mailscan, and filter web pages on the proxy server, then forward to the user. This can be a seriously large disk capacity machine, that Windows users can access for storage/backup via SAMBA.

Comment

bgavin is right about the power of a linux proxy. If used for light web browsing, even Windows 98 will survive for months if protected that way.

Comment

I went from 95 to 98se to win2k. I never really went for XP. It was just 2k with an extra theme. XP Pro seems pretty solid but if you compare it with windows 2000 its a bit slower. Try both on a PIII with 512mb of ram and you will notice right away.

Some software doesn't like windows 2000 now and refuses to install. Its a bit dated but the only real choice besides linux for older machines.

With vista the problem with XP home vs pro got magnified 100x. Ultimate is an OK os. If you install the norton UAC replacement and have the muscle to run it then you basically have a gussied up XP. The other versions seem to both remove functionality and make the system less responsive.

If I want pretty effects and compatibility problems with WINDOWS apps, I'll just run linux and use wine. It has more glitter and actually runs on less than 2gb of ram. It seems the whole goal of vista was to harass you with pop-ups and prevent you from changing system settings to do what you want.

Comment

One prime reason for the forced migration away from Win2000 is .Net 3.5 won't run on it.

Everybody is writing "managed code" these days, due to the complexity of writing native code. Dot-Net is interpreted, and does the heavy lifting for you. This also applies to WDM device drivers, which are scary enough for top notch coders, and intimidate the snot out of the script kiddies. MS has released WDF as a simplified platform (wrapper) to hide the onerous details of writing to WDM.

Of course, there is a performance penalty using interpreted code, due to the extra layer and associated context switching. But, if you have to get an app out the door yesterday, it does simplify things a lot.

I'd be surprised if Dot-net runs on WINE. Somebody with experience, please post on this.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

The third-party Mono Project, sponsored by Novell, has been developing an open source implementation of the ECMA standards that define the .NET Framework, as well as most of the other non-ECMA standardized libraries in Microsoft's .NET. The Mono implementation is meant to run on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, BSD, HP-UX, and Windows platforms. Mono includes the CLR, the class libraries, and compilers for C# and VB.NET. The current version supports all the APIs in version 2.0 of Microsoft's .NET

Comment

Amazing.

The .Net wrapper hides the gory details of talking directly to the lower level API. Since these are Windows-specific, I wonder how broken this is all going to get when translated to the Linux APIs.

I don't hold much faith in this sort of stuff working smoothly. Emulators have been problematic since my early days at IBM. I doubt anything has changed, especially considering the huge complexity of the WDM model.

As long as the major business apps such as Quickbooks continues to go down the .Net road, they will be confined to the Windows platform. I have no doubt that v3.5 of .Net was brought about to keep the open source wolves away from the MS door. MS is not above increased proprietary code to keep their installed user bas.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                                  I spent 4 hours on the Home Basic edition. What a pig. It is incompatible with a wide variety of stuff, plus slow as hell.

AMD 3200/64 processor, Dell E-series box. Not enough memory at 512mb, but still in the black if opening a web browser.

No Outlook Express
                                  Replacement "Windows Mail" will import some OE files, not others.
                                  No NTBackup
                                  Built in Backup/Restore will not read NTBackup BKF files.
                                  Won't install Quicken 2005 Deluxe at all
                                  Will install Quicken 2005 Basic, but you have to click the data file first.
                                  Refuses McAfee Enterprise 8.0i
                                  Installs McAfee Enterprise 8.5i OK
                                  Office Updates not supported. You must opt-in "Window Updater" instead.

And the most irritating thing is, just like the Mac commercial, it asks your permission for EVERY DAMN THING it does. Truly amazing. I equate this piece of shit with New Coke.

I figure when the Mac will run MS Office and Quickbooks Pro, flawlessly, it is gonna beat Windows ass. FTR, I am not a Mac fan (nor disparager).
                                  Some software, including McAfee 8.0, it may not be Windows' fault. It may just be the stupid version checking and throws a hissy fit when a different version number is reported or different Windows name is reported by Windows.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

hey, wel i have not read this entire thread yet but i wanted to add my opinion too... windows vista definetly SUCKS.

peace.
                                    We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

i love these threads,

i'm reading & posting this on a k6-2-500 with 256mb ram
                                      it runs 24/7 and is faster than win7 on a 64bit system!

it's my browsing & fileserver box - running mandriva 2006 Linux.
                                      with KDE3 & Opera.

no viirus/spyware junk - because there is no virus & spyware threat.
                                      no firewall, because there are no open ports other than the ones i'm using.

if microsoft designed a prison, they would fit the doorframes, and leave out the doors.
                                      and fit signs saying "no exit" instead!

Comment

Does that SUCKOMETER come in sizes to fit Windows Vista and W7???? I already gave the one that fits old Dell PC's.
                                        Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

I hate both windows vistrash and 7 for 3 main reasons:

1. Memory usage is WAY too high. XP will run happily on 512M, but with Vistrash or 7, you need at least 2GB before it's fast enough.

2. Windows XP is compatible with all my software, unlike windows 7 and vistrash

3. The windows firewall on vistrash and 7 blocks the windows updates!!!!
                                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                          X