• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recapping Antec SmartPower SP350 and SP400

chip the carbonised brown glue off.

Comment

Hey etnietering: did you get all three of those Antec SmartPower supplies working? Post some pictures of how you mounted the 5vsb board.

I just inherited another Antec SP-350. Since it has been several months since I worked on one, I simply followed the steps on this post for the DM311 mod, recapped to get rid of all those Fuhjyyu capacitors, and fired it up. Worked first time.
      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by etnietering View Post
        OK well my TechSpray came in earlier this week, but I've been busy (career fair, job interviews, homework, etc) and so I haven't had a chance to use it until just now. The two heatsinks came out with very little effort (the Pro Wick is awesome), and so I was able to read all the capacitor values except one. Here's the listing (minus the two 5vsb caps I already replaced):

#x uF @ voltage
        2x 820 @ 200
        5x 22 @ 50
        2x 4.7 @ 50
        2x 10 @ 50
        1x 47 @ 50
        3x 1 @ 50
        1x 0.1 @ 50
        1x 330 @ 16
        1x 3300 @ 16
        1x 1000 @ 10
        1x 2200 @ 10
        1x 0.22 @ 50
        1x 220 @ 10
        1x 3300 @ 6.3
        1x 4700 @ 6.3

The one I couldn't read is on the fan board, probably just a decoupler for the IC. And it's BRIGHT YELLOW! Nothing like quality Does anybody know the value of this one? I'll just leave it otherwise, it's rated at 105C.
        I'm also going to replace the 22ohm resistor that got toasted. The original is 1/4 W and I'm going to replace it with a 1/2 W, so hopefully it won't get toasted again. I'm also going to do Everell's DM311 mod.
        The primary transistors are 2SC3320 parts, rated 15A, 500V. The 3.3v rail has a 30A diode pack (rated at 28A), the 5v rail has a 30 diode pack (rated at 30A), and the 12v rail has 2 20A diode packs (rated at 14+15A), so those are all fine.

I'm planning on ordering from mouser tonight, and also getting some X-acto knives. So hopefully I'll be able to complete this project the weekend after next.
        Hi every body, I'm recapping my antec sp-350 but i haven't removed my old fuhjyyu caps, my question is, is this list it's the complete cap's that I need?
        in the one that I have there's 2 main caps 680uf@200v. I would like to know what caps I will need to order it all in the same time. Values and size.
        Thanks
        Digikey it's ok?

Comment

His main caps were 820 Mfd because his power supplies were SP-400. Since your power supply is SP-350, 680 Mfd is the correct value for your power supply. The list he made looks good. Digikey is a good source for buying the capacitors. That is where I buy most of mine.
          Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

I am finally ready to begin recapping my Antec SP400. All the existing FU caps look fine, but I will preempt their possible failure with a recap.

Question: I have UCC 4700uf 10V 12.5mm dia, the existing FU cap is 10mm dia, but isn't really 4700uf.

Has anyone tried to fit the 12.5mm cap? Is it only the PCB mounting screw that is the problem?

Comment

Good luck trying to fit them in!

I usually put 12.5mm caps on 12V filter and 10mm on 3.3 and 5v.

Everything is 3300uF.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...6&postcount=13

Panny FM 4700

TYVM
                veritas odium parit

Comment

The 820uf 200v caps you used are now special order at DK.

They have others at $12 or more per each.

There are lots of Nichicons on Ebay (USA sellers) but they are the twist-mount. Looks like two blades on the bottom of the cap. Can these be used with modification?? Saw them for $1.25 each.

Comment

Huh?:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...P50S&x=28&y=24

591 in stock still at $3.93 each

However, my primary point was in response to:
                    >>Has anyone tried to fit the 12.5mm cap? Is it only the PCB mounting screw that is the problem?<<

The picture in the linked post shows the 12.5mm FM there. Just leave a little bit of wiggle room in the lead length and put the screw in the board -before- you mount the cap.
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

I gave my Antec SP400 a postal-strike ghetto recap job.

Canada Post is on strike, so I decided to recap using what I had on hand.

Below are the cap locations I replaced, their values, and what I used:

EC24 3300x6.3 10mm (Panny FC)
                      EC25 4700x6.3 12.5mm (UCC KY - Toasty is right, got to trap the screw before installing the cap, I didn't so no screw - Ghetto!)

EC26 10uf x50v 5x11 did not replace (no stock)

EC22 2200x10v Sanyo 2200x16v
                      EC19 3300x16v JP-TUR (as used in Enermax PSUS - Crap??)
                      near R96 1000x10v 10x20mm used another Sanyo 16v
                      EC18 220x16v Panny FR
                      EC17,EC16,EC15,EC14 1ufx50v Nichi PW
                      EC27 .1ufx50 - no stock, left as is
                      EC12 47ufx50v - no stock left existing TEAPO as is
                      EC13 10uf50v - no stock - left as is
                      EC5 22ufx50v - KZE 5x11

I had a near-fatal accident on the back of the PCB. There are mountains of solder on there, and attempting to remove one of the smaller caps, a foil trace appeared as I was manipulating the cap. It had been hidden under all the solder. I was able to attach it to the cap leg, lucky it didn't tear.

I left the fan board alone, and the caps hidden deep between the two heatsinks. All those little resistors and little wire bobbins embedded in the solder mountain on the back made me nervous, and after that foil incident I decided to quit while I was ahead.

I'm thinking there may be variations on these PSUS, so my list is just a guideline.

Main thing is it still works well and seems to run cool enough. Not a very user-friendly PCB to work on!
                      used i

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
                        I gave my Antec SP400 a postal-strike ghetto recap job.
                        If it blows up you can call it a Ghetto Blaster.

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
                        I'm thinking there may be variations on these PSUS, so my list is just a guideline.
                        There are.
                        I've seen Koshin, Teapo, and Fuhjyyu used interchangeably in some positions in the same Antec models.
                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

As long as you replaced the 22@50 over by the mains and the 2 1000@10 for the 5vsb you should be alright.
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

hi
                            who know antec sp-400 (zd4) zener diode is use what model ?

Comment

hi again,
                              I have had an Antec SP-350 for a while now. It had three bulged capacitors when I removed it from someone's computer while doing repairs.
                              It has been sitting here along with power supplies and graphics cards waiting for moments like these for repairs... anyhow...
                              It has been so long I have forgotten what the specifications are of the 3 capacitors I removed. I can post a photo if I need to but meanwhile can anyone post any information about the positions and specifications of the capacitors in the Antec SP-350?

EDITED: I have just now been looking back through the posts in the thread and now I may be able to identify the 3 capacitor specifications I need.
                              Last edited by nickBcap; 10-03-2014, 05:40 AM. Reason: adding information that may save time

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                                His main caps were 820 Mfd because his power supplies were SP-400. Since your power supply is SP-350, 680 Mfd is the correct value for your power supply. The list he made looks good. Digikey is a good source for buying the capacitors. That is where I buy most of mine.
                                Hi Everell, should I think there is the suggestion in this post of yours that both the SP-350 and the SP400 use the same specification capacitors except for the 820 and 680Mfd's?

Comment

I decided the extent of repair and unknown factors and then a use of the repaired power supply is not of an immediate use to me. I have other power supplies that I have more information about so will go ahead with repairing those and leave this PSU to the recycler.
                                  thank you

Comment

Hi folks,

I have a very similar PSU Antec SP-400. Years ago I already repaired its standby by replacing blown up el caps. This time it lost PS_ON signal while standby is working fine, and without schematics I cannot repair it. Does anyone know any model names with the same board for which schematics is available on the net?

We all know that this PSU is not immediately obvious due to overhanging heatsinks and tight assembly.

Appreciate your help!

Comment

Hello and welcome!

Let's make sure I understand what you are saying -

When you short PS_ON to ground, the supply does not come on, correct?

T
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                                        Hello and welcome!

Let's make sure I understand what you are saying -

When you short PS_ON to ground, the supply does not come on, correct?

T
                                        Precisely, I have standby +5V and PS_ON +5V and they are nice and clean with no pulsations, but when I short PS_ON to the ground, there is no power.

My specific unit chassis is 400SMD Revision B, model E116921. I was told that there may be the same chassis schematics available for the PSUs sold by other manufacturers, such as FSP etc. So looking for any tips that may lead me to the diagram.

There is something I do not understand: when I put the AC voltmeter across the inner pins of the rectifier bridge, it reads 120V give or take a few. But when I switch it over to DC and put it across the outer pins, it reads 350V give or take a few. Should there not be 120*1.41=160V only there? The el caps on the high side are 820uF * 200V, so 350 would be disastrous. What am I missing? I double checked that with an oscilloscope in 1/10 mode of my probe and it read 7x ticks in the 5V/tick mode, so it's consistently reading 350V AC after the rectifier on the filtering caps.
                                        Last edited by cno; 10-15-2017, 04:22 PM.

Comment

No diagrams that I've seen. Only what some folks have drawn out.

I suspect you have an issue with the start circuit.

Too long since I had mine open. Does that have the little vertical board near the outputs?

T

BTW: There is no need to quote the post above your reply. It's when you go back to a post from another page or thread that you use it.
                                          Last edited by Toasty; 10-15-2017, 04:22 PM.
                                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                          X