Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your bad experiences with Antec power supplies here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your bad experiences with Antec power supplies here!

Originally posted by c_hegge
    Just destroyed it in the re-cap. A path came off the PCB when I pushed one of the caps through the hole.
    replace with jumper.use a lead cut from a cap.hey it happens and is not the end of the world!
    if close enough scrape the coating and fold the new caps lead over to it.solder as usual.

Comment

They even sell re-tracing / re-foiling kits with rolls of traces, dots, and pads to fix all your foil repair woes.

Toast
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
        They even sell re-tracing / re-foiling kits with rolls of traces, dots, and pads to fix all your foil repair woes.

Toast
        good to know. i might need that for an ultra V unit... the soldering is bad and the pcb doesn't look much better.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I already destroyed the PSU, completely (cut wires, etc). I'll just use it for wires and fans. I have a couple of other spare PSUs at the moment, so I'm not too upset.
          Last edited by c_hegge; 12-02-2009, 03:55 PM.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I'll try it again. I got another SmartPower today at work. This time, an SP350. Caps > Replacments:
            1x 10v 1000uF Cheapo Teapo (Bulging) > Ruby YXG
            1x 10v 2200uF AsiaX > Salvaged Panny FJ
            1x 16v 3300uF Fuhjyyu > Panny FC
            2x 10v 3300uF Fuhjyyu > Salvaged Sanyo WG
            1x 2200uF 10v Fuhjyyu > Panny FC
            1x 1000uF 10v Fuhjyyu > Chemi-Con KZE
            1x 22uF 50v Fuhjyyu (Squeal Generator) > Nichicon HE

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Antec?

Never again. I should have pulled it out of service the first time I noticed the fan(s) slowing down upon startup, but didn't. Not sure how it failed, but the PSU and the IDE circuits on the mobo both died. Just under $150 lost, I think, but even 12 years ago, that was a good bit of money to me.

(It was a K5-166 [AMD Pentium-class] with 96 or 128 megs RAM, one IDE HD, one IDE CD-ROM drive, PCI Adaptec 2940 SCSI card, and I think one 540 MB SCSI drive, video was a 4 meg PCI Matrox Millenium).

Now I go with PC P&C. I doubt that I'll ever wear one out (unless lightning strikes).

Comment

>>(unless lightning strikes)<<

Never tempt the gods....
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Never tempt the gods.
                  Oh, yeah. I am lucky. I got my first computer in April 1992. Normally I never unplug before a bad storm. The first time I did, though, lightning struck the telephone pole in front of my neighbor's house. He lost his main Mac (PowerPC 601? 603E?) and fried the modem on his 68030 Mac. If I had not unplugged, I really believe I would have lost a lot.

I have unplugged mine I think one time since. I should be more careful.

Comment

I have an Antec Truepower Trio 550w. Should I at all be worried?

Comment

Only one way to find out. Open it up and look for fuhjyyu caps. if there are any, then yes, be worried, otherwise, it might be OK.

Comment

There won't be any Fuhjyyus in a Trio - that's a Seasonic built unit.

Comment

Well, i have about 10 antec psus. All with bulgy caps. From 300w to 550w. And tif you look into the bad psu bin, its mostly antecs sad reallly. They were darn expensve.

Comment

Add me to the list! An SP350 with one bulged primary and the rest all domed. I just didnt know these psu's had such a bad rep until it was too late, teach me I guess. Should be more paranoid about such things. Anyway standard form from this antec, started squealing and then emitted a nice pongy stench. Pulled the plug and whipped the darn thing out too find that lovley sight everyone hates! Im normally not this tight with psu's, I have 3 x sparkle power units and an enermax and they are donkeys years old, still going strong too this day all because they have good capacitors in them.

Comment

Bulged PRIMARY? Daaaamn fan. Fuhjyuu, right? Who is the OEM? I don't have these (Smart-Powers) on my list.
                              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot
                                Bulged PRIMARY? Daaaamn fan. Fuhjyuu, right? Who is the OEM? I don't have these (Smart-Powers) on my list
                                Smart Powers are CWT units (Antec no longer uses CWT they have since switched to Delta and Seasonic for their newer PSUs). And you'll find them loaded with Fuhjyuus. They were also built to run silently so they run relatively hot which makes the less than heat tolerant Fuhjyuus extremely failure prone (even the primaries). That being said they are otherwise relatively well built PSUs and a recap usually solves these problems I usually use 105C Panasonics (sonetimes UCC or Nichicon depending on what I have on hand) on the primary along with either UCC KYs or Nichicon PWs on the secondary on these.

Comment

Yeah I know the rest, just somehow missed the Smart Powers. You can look at my list

Well CWT can make good PSU's when they want and customers pays. But it took some time, they made lot of constructive mistakes.

As for Antec, I don't understand this company, they change OEMs like socks.
                                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                                  X