Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum

I have a SOYO KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum (its a nice looking board and has served me well) After 10+ years should I even bother recapping it? Every Cap on it is a Sacon Cap. 14 3300uf 6.3v, 23 1000uf 10v, and like 36 220uf 16v / 22uf 25v caps. I guess they wanted to stay with the silver look since the board is platinum colored.

Re: Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum

Originally posted by brethin View Post
    I have a SOYO KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum (its a nice looking board and has served me well) After 10+ years should I even bother recapping it? Every Cap on it is a Sacon Cap. 14 3300uf 6.3v, 23 1000uf 10v, and like 36 220uf 16v / 22uf 25v caps. I guess they wanted to stay with the silver look since the board is platinum colored.
    Hey, I just bought one of these with bulging Sacons.
    I had already recapped a K7V Dragon that runs cool and works really well after recapping. That one had Wendell caps.
    I'm going to recap mine. I like Soyo boards, and Abit too.
    I've had good luck with these.

Comment

If you have spare time, you can do it.

Comment

It is worth the effort (to fix it) if you appreciate older tech and still have a use for it, I haven't managed to land a Soyo board yet (and I doubt I ever will) but it's "refreshing" to know they're still out there kicking around, BTW those mainboards (and the KT333 chipset) were released back in 2002 so it's actually 9 years old but that's still a decent service life eh?

So many manufacturers have gone the way of the Dodo OR simply got out of the mainstream PC industry (motherboards)...
        • Abit
        • EPoX
        • Soyo
        • Soltek
        • Chaintech
        Last edited by tazwegion; 05-10-2011, 10:45 PM.
        Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I do not think I will mess with it. I do not really have the time to recap it and have replaced the machine with another that was just sitting around collecting dust. I will post it here for sale cheap if anyone wants it for a project.

Comment

Got news for you.
            Soyo still makes boards but they only sell them in Asia.
            Here is a Soyo LGA 1155
            http://detail.zol.com.cn/motherboard/index277119.shtml
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
              I've seen fake Silver OSTs on Soyo boards.

Soyo got sued in the US over their caps and their response was to stop selling motherboards here.
              Rather interesting as the company got started in Fremont California.
              Was a US company originally...

With good caps they are good boards.
              If you can use it then recap it.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

I have to agree. Soyo had the best BIOS out of everyone. I wonder if those Chinese Soyos come with English BIOS.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

The soyo socket A board which I have (and have successfully recapped) - bios has certain isues with USB devices.

Comment

What is the USB chip and what OS?

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

I think integrated nForce2 USB and Xp

Last time it failed to detect USB keyboard - had to disable then reenable USB keyboard support with PS/2 keyboard.

Otherwise, it runs perfectly smooth with barton@2GHz@1.5V (passive cooling)

Comment

Is not a "Soyo issue" then.
                        Just happens to be on a Soyo.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Hmm ? Other nforce2 boards and even nforce1 never had a similar issue.

Comment

did you change the cap filter going right to the USB port?
                            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

No, the cap is fine. Other USB ports (front and bracket) didn't work as well. It was completely a software issue, like something locked machine up and couldn't read USB.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyr0Beast View Post
                                Hmm ? Other nforce2 boards and even nforce1 never had a similar issue.
                                That's not even true. Quite common in fact...
                                http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=670244
                                http://www.computing.net/answers/har...ont/21868.html
                                http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/1224...s-for-nforce2/
                                http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/11829/

That's why nVidia released this driver for "General compatibility fixes".
                                http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_5.10.html

Please note: Release date on that driver was: September 17, 2004
                                It came out AFTER XP SP2 and so obviously was not included in SP2.
                                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 05-12-2011, 09:42 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Neither addresses the issue which is on Bios and not on the driver level.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyr0Beast View Post
                                    Neither addresses the issue which is on Bios and not on the driver level.
                                    Nope.
                                    Same problem on multiple brands of mobo is not a BIOS issue.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Where did I say the problem manifested itself in OS ? It was in pre-boot environment and had absolutely nothing to do with any os.

Comment

That was pretty vague.
                                        So describe the problem then.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X