Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power supply life cycles...

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum after making the discovery that I have some PSUs with cheap caps. Nothing has died on me yet, but I'm wondering about what people feel the 'cut off' is for re-capping a power supply vis-a-vis the expected 'life cycle' of the units.

In other words, when does it not make sense to undergo the time and expense to recap since the power supply has 'past its prime' and there may be other components that are reaching their end of life as well?

For me I'm primarily looking at a pair of Enermax Liberty 620w (ELT620AWT). I bought the first about 4 years ago, then two years ago one died. This was back when they still had 3 year warranties. So I RMA'ed the busted one, but picked up a new one of the same model since I was busy at the time and didn't want to waste time swapping out all the cables. (modular cables make changes so easy)

Anyway, so 2 years ago I bought the replacement PSU, (same model) and then I got my RMA back - which was a new power supply. (I compared S/Ns to make sure, and the new one didn't have a fingerprint or scuff mark on it.)

So here I am a couple years later, considering whether I'll run into trouble with this PSU, and wondering if recapping is worthwhile. Let's be clear here, doing the work is no issue for me. I worked as an electronics technician for IBM before they got out of the PC business some years ago, so replacing the caps wouldn't be a big deal. I've got the tools.

Like I said, I'm just wondering, based on the technology, if it is 'worth it'. I hate seeing working components dumped, but I also have a couple other PSUs in my 'pile of computer stuff' that I could probably recap and extend the life of too.

So what helps to make your choice? When does recapping become a fruitless endeavour?

Re: Power supply life cycles...

Those need to come apart anyway. - The glue gets conductive.
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5466
    If it's an 80+ or better efficient unit or proprietary I'll rework it.
    If not I upgrade.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Re: Power supply life cycles...

It all depends on the particular piece of hardware and the value you place on it... personally although Antec's True-power & True-blue series PSU's only achieved 75% efficiency at best I still recap them for re-issue on home PC's, I'm not talking high end power hungry systems just run-of-the-mill trailing edge technology and the PSU's work admirably 2003~2011
      Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Working...
      X