Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec TruePower380 & the Fuhjyyu Syndrome

Antec TruePower380

I've had this PSU for a little while, and it's been in my 'to do' pile for most of my ownership... originally it was purchased in 2004, but came to me via 'flea-bay' and was causing system instability almost straight away (to my dismay), a quick dismantle confirmed the 'crap caps' diagnosis... so off (as I said) it went into my 'to do' pile

Thankfully with assistance I was able to source some suitable replacement components with far improved specifications when directly compared with the original 'offensive' Fuhjyuu's (see below)

One of this PSU's most obvious issues, other than the 'slightly domed' fuhjyyu's was the low 5v line which was only producing 4.8~4.9v, thankfully now (since recapping) that is a healthy 5.12v

I'm glad to say that at least Antec used Rubycon's on thier PSU input, though I don't know why they didn't bother to use them consistantly thoughout the PSU circuit

Replacement capacitors
    4 x 3300uF 6.3v GC Low ESR Series(10x25mm) 0.009 Ω @ 100khz
    2 x 2200uF 16v GD Low ESR series (10x25mm) 0.012 Ω @ 100Khz
    2 x 1000uF 10v GC Low ESR series (8x20mm) 0.012 Ω @ 100Khz

In closing, I'd like to thank davmax & Big Pope for their assistance in sourcing the replacement components, and davmax especially for his explaination & guidance RE: PSU output circuit values/requirements
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tazwegion; 07-25-2006, 02:15 AM.
    Viva LA Retro!

Re: Antec TruePower380 & the Fuhjyyu Syndrome

I have the same exact power supply, with the same voltage issue. I don't know where to find any 10 mm caps though to replace the big Fuhjyuu's though. Nice to know that replacing the caps fixes the issue though!

Comment

No worries MixMasta, where abouts in the globe are you? if you're in the US/Canada region the proprietor of this site Topcat, sells replacement kits/caps & also provides a recapping service should you decide not to do it yourself
      Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Are those Fuhjyuus you removed leaking electrolyte? They don't look domed, and the stuff on them looks more like glue than electrolyte. I know some PSU manufacturers pour loads of glue onto the components to minimise vibration, but I don't know about this...
        You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Taz
          Great result. 5.12V.
          I am now very glad that I replaced the Fuhjyyu caps in the new expensive system I just built for someone. I did not want to risk an Intel 975 chip set motherboard system. Even if PS warranty may now be excluded.
          Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
          Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
          160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
          Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
          160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
          Samsung 18x DVD writer
          Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
          33 way card reader
          Windows XP Pro SP3
          Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
          17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
          HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tom41
            Are those Fuhjyuus you removed leaking electrolyte? They don't look domed, and the stuff on them looks more like glue than electrolyte. I know some PSU manufacturers pour loads of glue onto the components to minimise vibration, but I don't know about this...
            No it's not electrolyte (just glue) they didn't get to the venting stage of death, and granted you're quite correct the 4 capacitors in the foreground of the shot were not visually damaged at all, however the (remaining) 4 3300uF caps were ever so slightly domed at the top (hence I used the term slightly domed), though this picture is not a good illustration of said defect

Thanks davmax, yes I'm very happy with the end result, and I totally understand your desire not to risk an Intel 975 chipset platform to such notorious capacitors
            Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I have the exact same problem in an Antec Truepower 380w....

I noticed problems with my system as soon as I started getting spin up/spin downs with my hard drives, they would constantly spin up and down during boot but it would go away after a few minutes, that is until it started to do it constantly...

The system was perfectly stable aside from that..

Long story short, I've only recently discovered that its the power supply at fault by observing bulging capacitors on the output side of my Antec PSU, sure enough, they're Fuhjyyu brand, 4x 3300uF 10v and 2x 2200uF 16v capacitors...

Mine were bulging and leaking a little bit of electrolyte after 24/7 use over 3 years, I ran the system constantly for nearly 3 years...

However I still stand by the build quality of Antec PSU's, even though this is a serious issue...

I'm hoping to recap them, I've been in the electronics field for quite a while now however I cannot seem to find a supplier in Australia, easily anyway, of the narrow diameter low ESR capacitors that are required, anyone got hints on where I can get them from? I'm thinking Farnell..

Btw I also noticed before I checked the PSU that the 5v rail was down, by at least 0.5v and sitting at 4.5v, however the voltage was stable, I wouldn't be surprised that what caused the hard drives to flutter was ripple getting through due to the lack of capacitance

Cheers!
              Last edited by freax; 08-02-2006, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by freax
                however I cannot seem to find a supplier in Australia
                Have you tried RS Components?
                http://www.rsaustralia.com/
                They usually have good supply (in Melbourne) and have good brands such as Rubycon, Panasonic etc.
                Last edited by cods69; 08-02-2006, 10:27 PM.

Comment

no, thank you

Comment

On the rs website they can only provide capacitors with a 12.5mm diameter, however I can see that causing a problem in the cramped space of this power supply, I was wondering where the previous user managed to obtain his?

Comment

I noticed the Fuhjyyu caps are only 10mm in dia, I suppose I can elevate the new caps just enough to fit 'em in..

Comment

I suppose I can elevate the new caps just enough to fit 'em in..
                        Exactly! Get creative with the way they are mounted. I do it with cramped jobs and never have problems.
                        If the legs are going to show too much, just cover 'em with heat shrink tube or the like to avoid exposure to stray conductive elements.

Comment

Should I buy a new good quality PSU for my next upgrade to a Dual core AMD AM2 3800+ with ATI X1600XT 256MB and 2GB of Corsair valueselect PC-5300 RAM and recap this power supply to put it in server/firewall duty or re-use this PSU in the new system? I'm kinda strapped for cash when it comes to this upgrade, I could always wait an extra month though...

Comment

I too had such issues locating appropriately sized capacitors so I can understand your frustration, I've ordered from Farnell before and have found both they & RSonline to have incomplete selections available or what I required was out-of-stock

Hitano make some of the appropriate sizes/values, but I've only ever been able to acquire 10v components (0.05Ω @ 100Khz) from they're local distibutors Wiltronics Research Pty Ltd

Thankfully, I was able to secure a selection of Samxon (Ultra Low ESR) capacitors from helpful members on this forum, one of which was Big Pope, I would recommend you PM him

Should you be determined to use Rubycon or Sanyo, then I'd suggest you check out Wai Fong Co. Ltd of Hong Kong who also ship internationally, I haven't personally dealt with them, though I have heard good things from people who have
                            Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Thank you, I shall get onto it..

Comment

Should I buy a new good quality PSU for my next upgrade to a Dual core AMD AM2 3800+ with ATI X1600XT 256MB and 2GB of Corsair valueselect PC-5300 RAM and recap this power supply to put it in server/firewall duty or re-use this PSU in the new system? I'm kinda strapped for cash when it comes to this upgrade, I could always wait an extra month though...
                                I'm not sure this PSU will generate enough Oompf to power a dual core CPU & power hungry GFX card, it only has 18A on a single 12+ line, DFI recommend at least...
                                a Minimum of +12V@26A for Single Video Card Systems & +12V@34A for Dual Video Card (SLI) Systems.

I'd recap it anyway, and try it... but personally, I pop it in your upcoming server/firewall build
                                Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I would have to agree, the Antec Phantom 350w sounds nice for a dual core system anyway...

I'll recap this PSU and whack it in my Abit BP6 (Not in need of a recap, but I'll recap it anyway, can't be far off.)

Comment

Thats funny, my Antec Truepower380 says 24amps for +12v rail...

DC Output: +5v +12v +3.3v -5v -12v +5v SB
                                    Max: 35A 24A 28A 0.5A 1.0A 2.0A
                                    Min: 0A 0.8A 0A 0A 0A 0A

+5v, +12v and +3.3v max. load 360W

They're lying about the +12v rail? probably...

From what I know about SMPS's you can't draw max current from all rails at the same time, so another rail misses out, if it weren't true then you could get 555.4 watts out of every rail at any time according to my calculations...

This is just for curiosity..

Comment

They're lying about the +12v rail? probably...
                                      Perhaps, but not necessarily. 24A on the 12Vdc would correspond to 288W of power, which would still be within its 350W rating, even taking into account some load on 3.3 and 5vdc outputs.

I'll see if there's a review on the web in which this model or similar unit was tested to its full rating.
                                      Last edited by tiresias; 08-03-2006, 06:26 AM.

Comment

I would have to agree, the Antec Phantom 350w sounds nice for a dual core system anyway...

I'll recap this PSU and whack it in my Abit BP6 (Not in need of a recap, but I'll recap it anyway, can't be far off.)
                                        whats up with the ?
                                        i still recap 3-4 bp6 a month here.
                                        folks will give them up when you pry them from their cold dead hands it seems.

Comment

Working...
                                        X