12gb quantum bigfoot ts as swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12gb quantum bigfoot ts as swap

would using such an old drive for swap be a stupid idea?
    Last edited by goontron; 05-25-2013, 12:18 PM. Reason: grammar
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: 12gb quantum bigfoot ts as swap

It would of course work, but why not just make a swap partition on your main hard drive ?
    I don't see a point in using such an old (and big, 5.25) HDD just for swap.

Comment

dedicated I/O
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

You do realize that random access time, not sequential access speed, is what matters for swap, right?

On a related note, why haven't any companies released 5.25" full-height drives for a long time? They would sure make people that need a lot of storage but not a lot of speed very happy. I could see 20TB being stored on one of those...

Comment

so i should use my old 10gb IDE laptop drive then
          and since im on the topic, time to see windows vista run from one of them quantum bigfoots

thanks for the help
          Last edited by goontron; 05-25-2013, 01:48 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

if you have enough ram, disable swap
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
              if you have enough ram, disable swap
              if i do that it cannot hibernate tho

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                if i do that it cannot hibernate tho
                And why is that bad?

Comment

linux creates no seperate hibernate file outside of the swap partition?

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                    linux creates no seperate hibernate file outside of the swap partition?
                    I think Windows is the only OS that uses hibernation files.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
                      I think Windows is the only OS that uses hibernation files.
                      I see that as another +1 for windows

Comment

If you are not using a computer, turn it off! I see no reason for hibernation, and always disable it. I have Linux on a SSD, and it is faster in booting than the Windows laptop at work is just coming out of hibernation.

Comment

a bigfoot that still works?
                          even if true its slow by todays standards.

Comment

I havent seen a working bigfoot in over a decade....even when they worked, they were slow as bejeebus!
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              I havent seen a working bigfoot in over a decade....even when they worked, they were slow as bejeebus!
                              one of the last! it came from the jeffco courthouse in colorado and its barely used so no bad sectors, no bad bearings, spins up fine to! had windows mistake edition on it ,so no wonder it never got used and it also benchmarks fine.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by goontron; 05-26-2013, 11:04 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

A 12GB flash drive for swap will be better, faster, and cheaper.
                                sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
                                  A 12GB flash drive for swap will be better, faster, and cheaper.
                                  i use this for swap right now, i just wanted to find a use for this old quantum beast.
                                  Last edited by goontron; 05-27-2013, 12:18 AM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

using flash is a possibility, but since there is soooo much random writing, the write cycles would get used up waaay to fast. Better get an extended warranty on it

in Win7, I had no swap file, 12GB of ram. Thing ran beautifully. I can say that is one of my fav advantages over the winNT5 kernel

Comment

i have 2gb ram and the CF card *had* an extended warranty but it an old card and it up.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

not a CF card, that isn't fast enough flash memory, need an SSD

Comment

Working...
                                        X