Server power supplies.. uh oh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server power supplies.. uh oh

So I needed to assemble some budget servers for a couple clients that wanted to pay less... and to save on cost I'm using random PSUs I already had...
    Antec Basiq 500W
    Antec True 380W (partially recapped at some point)
    LiteOn 250W
    Logisys "480W" lol... <-- gutless wonder
    HEC Orion "585W" lol... <-- slightly less gutless wonder but absolutely no input filtering

The Logisys was in a friend's server for several months working fine... pulled from a customers old PC. So it's certainly been tested to be functional :P the Orion came from somebody online basically paid nothing for it. Good choices? :P
    Last edited by shovenose; 09-28-2013, 09:28 PM.

Re: Server power supplies.. uh oh

The Logisys? In a server? Are you kidding? You should NEVER have used than in ANY computer, let alone a server, regardless of the budget. If it were me, I would have killed it as soon as I got my hands on it, either with the load tester or the sledge hammer.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Logisys? *screams like a girl* no! never!
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        The Logisys? In a server? Are you kidding? You should NEVER have used than in ANY computer, let alone a server, regardless of the budget. If it were me, I would have killed it as soon as I got my hands on it, either with the load tester or the sledge hammer.
        it works and it's free... These servers aren't going to be stressing it much.

Comment

Even with Logisys, it depends. Some of their "higher end" units are made by Keerda and will probably be okay up to 275W. At least some of those have CLC on each rail. They're still not reliable with crap fans and BH caps but better than their super low end ones with one cap per rail.

The Basiq is an old FSP unit that runs hot and will toast the Teapo caps.

I wouldn't touch the TruePower without a FULL recap, period.

The LiteOn 250W is probably well built but probably also needs some new caps.

That HEC Orion is a mediocre 350W PSU. I'm sure you've seen the one I rebuilt, I have it in a light server But I did a full recap and added an input filter

Would love some pics

Comment

Logisys pics
            Attached Files

Comment

150w-250w max. with 60-70% efficiency.
              Usually efficiency is important for dedicated servers... don't you pay for Amps for the rack?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                it works and it's free... These servers aren't going to be stressing it much.
                On the contrary, it will be the Deer stressing those systems.

You have been warned, even after others' threads of lousy power supplies- why even do this? Just because "it works and was free?" What does that even mean?

Those scrap POSes that impersonate power supplies are only going to leave you with more scrap metal.

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                150w-250w max. with 60-70% efficiency.
                Usually efficiency is important for dedicated servers... don't you pay for Amps for the rack?
                You're confusing efficiency with power factor. I can connect a big enough cap to the line and draw 30A at 240V, with only a few watts of I2R losses in the wiring connecting said cap. IOW, nearly zero PF, even a x amps.

I can also have a load whose PF is .9 or higher, yet have miserable efficiency.

Power factor has no bearing on efficiency! There was a flamefest a few years ago over this! Superstition never dies!

Stop spreading incorrect information!
                Last edited by kaboom; 09-29-2013, 01:16 PM.
                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                Originally posted by shango066
                All style and no substance.
                Originally posted by smashstuff30
                guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Logisys pics
                  That thing (I'm not even going to call it a "power supply"... it looks more like a "fire supply" or a "ripple supply" depending on what goes first) looks only slightly less gutless than "Hercules", whose review ended with "If you have one of these, shut your system down and throw it away. NOW.".

Originally posted by OklahomaWolf
                  Why look, this thing is supposedly good for servers. Let me ask you this - are you going to put a $20 power supply in a server? If so, come over here so I can smack you. Better yet, wait for the load testing pages so I can show you the consequences of such a deed.
                  *little kid voice* I'M TELLING!!!
                  *runs off in the general direction of jonnyguru.com*
                  Last edited by cheapie; 09-29-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie
                    Originally posted by OklahomaWolf
                    Why look, this thing is supposedly good for servers. Let me ask you this - are you going to put a $20 power supply in a server? If so, come over here so I can smack you. Better yet, wait for the load testing pages so I can show you the consequences of such a deed.
                    better yet come over here, we will smack the acne off your face! i'll even have my tube radio buddies come along.
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                      You're confusing efficiency with power factor. I can connect a big enough cap to the line and draw 30A at 240V, with only a few watts of I2R losses in the wiring connecting said cap. IOW, nearly zero PF, even a x amps.

I can also have a load whose PF is .9 or higher, yet have miserable efficiency.

Power factor has no bearing on efficiency! There was a flamefest a few years ago over this! Superstition never dies!

Stop spreading incorrect information!
                      I didn't bring the power factor into the equation, you did.

Fact is, with or without the power factor, those power supplies have lousy efficiency.
                      A datacenter usually quotes a particular value per unit so if shove rents a rack in a datacenter, or space, he's limited by the amps available.

The datacenter I have a few servers at gives 0.5A per 1U (230v input though), or 16 A per 42U rack. I would think he would want higher efficiency.

Comment

Logisys pics
                        Junk caps, junk fan, laughable input filtering, tiny heat sinks, all the usual things wrong with a cheap and nasty unit. Working or not, just get that thing out of the computer and sledgehammer it already!
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

So I needed to assemble some budget servers for a couple clients that wanted to pay less...
                          You need to draw the line somewhere... putting junk units inside a customer's server, whether they ask for it or not, is asking for trouble.

I have quite a few old review samples sitting around the house I probably could sell. But I have standards. I won't let something go out the door I wouldn't use personally, because if something leaves this house and then dies in an epic flameout the customer then blames me. "Well, you let me buy it, so it's your fault!"

The only one on the list I'd even consider using is the Basiq.

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                          better yet come over here, we will smack the acne off your face! i'll even have my tube radio buddies come along.
                          Okaaaaaay...

Comment

Is this setup going in a shared rack? Will there be concerns when your EMI produced by the filter-free power supply drops the bitrates/packet rates on other racks? Because that will happen on gigabit interfaces. And you will piss everyone else off within five rack units of your server. Oh, and that will be handy in pointing out which server is causing the problem .
                            Last edited by tom66; 09-29-2013, 03:06 PM.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Not only is that Logisys horrible, it also looks like it's already had quite a bit of running time. Who knows when those cheap nicon caps will pop. I'd also be worried about how much oil is left in the bearing of that cheap fan

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
                                You need to draw the line somewhere... putting junk units inside a customer's server, whether they ask for it or not, is asking for trouble.

I have quite a few old review samples sitting around the house I probably could sell. But I have standards. I won't let something go out the door I wouldn't use personally, because if something leaves this house and then dies in an epic flameout the customer then blames me. "Well, you let me buy it, so it's your fault!"

The only one on the list I'd even consider using is the Basiq.

Okaaaaaay...
                                Well the 800W in win you sold me? The fan is already going out. and that's supposed to be a good power supply.

The rack is in my room so no other customers will be bothered by it. Network here is a wireless link to two cities away.

This shit can suck in every other way may as well use junk power supplies.
                                Not sure why I even made this thread lol

Comment

Still why would you risk using that in any server? At least use the Basiq in there after checking to make sure none of the caps are bulging.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                    Still why would you risk using that in any server? At least use the Basiq in there after checking to make sure none of the caps are bulging.
                                    um no ALL of these power supplies are being put into production.

If it bothers anybody sure, you can buy me new power supplies.

I'm outta here.

Comment

We're not trying to be mean, just don't want you to fry your server lol

Comment

It's kinda funny I can pick up a decent 300W FSP with Teapos for around £10 here (used price.) They work fine and can do 300W and have line filtering. It's silly to risk hundreds in hardware to save a few bucks, but if you're not going to listen to any advice why did you bother making a post?
                                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
                                        X