XP performance without swap file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP performance without swap file

I'm thinking about replacing my laptop's HDD with a CF card.
    since i didn't find any 120gb 5400 rpm models, i had to install a 7200 drive some time ago.
    i didn't expect it to run that hot. HDD temps are around 50°C and even higher when the airflow isn't optimal.
    so here's the idea: i'm thinking about replacing the drive with a 8gb CF card (133x cards aren't too expensive).
    a SSD would be overkill, it's a Compaq Evo n600C with a 1.0GHz PIII and 512mb RAM.

i don't wanna kill the card, so i'd have to disable the swap file to reduce constant access to the card.
    how much would that slow down the system?
    win 2000 would be an option, too.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Re: XP performance without swap file

In the SQL world, it was common to boost RAM and reduce the swap file to the minimum. You can probably get away with the 2mb minimum after doubling your ram. 512mb really isn't much.

It would be an interesting test session, with and without a swap file. This is non-destructive, and a nice project for a rainy day.

Comment

my "homeserver" is running on a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF card.
      CF -> Sys-HDD
      320GB USB HDD -> files and stuff

has been running since Oct. 2007 without any problem. with a swap file.
      those CF cards are not as unreliable as many ppl say...

disabling the swap file is really horrible regarding performance..
      if i disable it on my Laptop (mobile PIII 600 ; 576MB SD-RAM (2x256 + 64MB Onboard)) the whole system acts like a Pentium 200 after some time..

Comment

with the swap file located on the CF?

anyway, i ordered 2 512mb sticks off ebay. i was kind of surprised that 133mhz SD SO-DIMMs are cheaper than DDR1 SO-DIMMs.

if i understand things correctly, the controller inside the card manages wear levelling, right?
        "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by kikkoman
          if i understand things correctly, the controller inside the card manages wear levelling, right?
          yes it should
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Interesting. Can anyone explain exactly is this done?

I have a the same card as Scenic but the SD version just sitting around doing nothing after the camera it was in gave up the ghost. I was thinking of selling it which would only probably buy me a single starbucks coffee if I'm lucky, maybe put it to use is better idea.
            Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

i'm not sure if this works with an SD card. You definitely need an USB to SD adapter (which has support boot mode, probably depends on its chipset) and your BIOS has to support USB boot too.
              CF cards have the huge advantage of being ATA compatible.

i think the lappy's internal IDE HDD header could even support two cards (normally there's only the master connected). and without the HDD, space wouldn't be a problem either.

Comment

USB thats a bit slow and electrically noisy. I think I'll forget about SD.

My Samsung Pro cam uses CF, been buying lifetime guaranteed 4GB ones for it, but I dont' use them, they sit idle 99% of the time, what do I need to do exactly with them to use them as drives? sorry for sounding a bit dense.

I wouldn't mind having a few connected everywhere via a reliable interface like ATA, for swap files, if they burn out who cares, I'll get more under warranty, as long as they burn out quick enough hehe. Listening to windows swap file gets really annoying sometimes even with a near silent system, hearing adapts and hears the noise again aftera while.
                Last edited by Fizzycapola; 11-07-2008, 11:04 AM.
                Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SD-MMC-TO-40-P...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SSD-SD-MMC-TO-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Compact-Flash-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10310

Comment

CF is good because it already has a IDE interface
                      All you need is a passive converter...

SD etc is a special interface so it requires a IDE chip on the converter board
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I thought this offer seemed good enough to share:
                        Mymemmory Kingston ELITE 16GB CF cards. £21 + free next day delivery.
                        Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Working...
                        X