Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adhesives for Flexible Circuit Board

Hello All.

I posted this in the computer and laptop area first, and if that was a mistake, I apologize...

I'm working on the printed flex circuit board (flexible type) of a 1990 Jaguar XJS Instrument cluster. If you Google that you'll be able to get a general idea.

In areas, the plastic has come apart allowing the copper strip to kinda flop around and be exposed to the elements.

What can I use to glue the 2 faces of the plastic material together trapping the copper ribbon inside...

Again - thank you all for you help. This will be the 4th or 5th time now that I have come here to receive AMAZING advise and directions. Thanks so much!
    Attached Files

Re: Adhesives for Flexible Circuit Board

Here something that you might try the prongs on the connector bend outward from the plastic holder just be careful not to do to much at one time or you could break the plastic holder for the prongs ( do a little bit at a time and keep reconnecting it until it fits tightly in instrument cluster plug holder then stop at this point make sure that you have all pin connector on the same tension for best results ) ( or you can take double side it tape and put it under the plastic flex circuit board one note I have not done this before so I can not tell you how well this will work )

I have done this in the past you just have to have some patience and take your time doing this for you to get the correct results

One other thing you can do to clean the traces on plastic circuit boards is to take some green Scotch Brite ( the one that does not have any soap on it ) pad and lightly clean the traces so they very shiny you can also do this on the connector plastic plug

If the issue is that some of lights on the dashboard do not light the issue is not with the connector it is with the prongs on the lamp sockets not making good connections to the flex board but it is still the same process making the lamp sockets or if it corrosion on the connector pins you can buy replacement sockets

Some of the screws look like they have rust on them very carefully remove them and clean them or replace them you might have to clean the copper underneath the screws for good connections

You can not be in a hurry when working on one of this type of boards very easily ripped and damaged

I hope this helps you repair this instrument cluster flex board

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger that I had to fix the dashboard lights because they were corrosion on the lamp sockets I just went to the junkyard and found the same type of lamp sockets and replace them and it been working correctly every sense that which was a few years ago

I had to the samething on another car because of the same issue and it is still working as well
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-04-2022, 09:00 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
      Here something that you might try the prongs on the connector bend outward from the plastic holder just be careful not to do to much at one time or you could break the plastic holder for the prongs ( do a little bit at a time and keep reconnecting it until it fits tightly in instrument cluster plug holder then stop at this point make sure that you have all pin connector on the same tension for best results ) ( or you can take double side it tape and put it under the plastic flex circuit board one note I have not done this before so I can not tell you how well this will work )

I have done this in the past you just have to have some patience and take your time doing this for you to get the correct results

One other thing you can do to clean the traces on plastic circuit boards is to take some green Scotch Brite ( the one that does not have any soap on it ) pad and lightly clean the traces so they very shiny you can also do this on the connector plastic plug

If the issue is that some of lights on the dashboard do not light the issue is not with the connector it is with the prongs on the lamp sockets not making good connections to the flex board but it is still the same process making the lamp sockets or if it corrosion on the connector pins you can buy replacement sockets

Some of the screws look like they have rust on them very carefully remove them and clean them or replace them you might have to clean the copper underneath the screws for good connections

You can not be in a hurry when working on one of this type of boards very easily ripped and damaged

I hope this helps you repair this instrument cluster flex board

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger that I had to fix the dashboard lights because they were corrosion on the lamp sockets I just went to the junkyard and found the same type of lamp sockets and replace them and it been working correctly every sense that which was a few years ago

I had to the samething on another car because of the same issue and it is still working as well
      Sam, Sam, Sam... Thank for the amazing reply, and for taking the time. Sorry for the delayed response.

Ohhhhhh, this cluster. I'll try to touch on your points.

First I'll say, all gauges work LESS the speedometer.

Like a dummy, I posted a photo of a cluster I found on line. Not my cluster. But I can. I created the post at work just to give folks a sense of what I was looking at - especially the particular type of ribbon. I've seen some ribbons that are near microscopic, this one ain't. The traces are almost huge - but ratty. The clusters, almost from new, in the Jaguar XJS, caused problems and as far as I can tell, for the 1990, there is no replacement. Salvaging what's left of them is all one can do.

In the photo, if you look to the right hand side, there are three contacts that (if you can imagine or Google the face of the cluster) that serve the speedometer. Signal, ground and B+. The upper one (B+), with it's contact in the circular center, surrounded by 4 other traces, has completely opened up, allowing the center trace to become completely detached from the plastic support. The other four remain adhered, but exposed on one side due to the two plastic faces peeling away from each other.

I'm my tinkering, I have used green scotch bright to carefully clean pressure type contacts (plugs etc). I have sanded, with 600grit, the face side of all the nutts and most of the screws. Like you said, I've éven bent up/out the contacts on the plugs and gave them a good rubbing. Added a redundant ground to the whole thing. And am thinking about replacing SOME of the smaller bulbs with LEDs (polarity?), definitely all of the larger. Anywho. I've been trying with this thing.

My main issue is the speedometer. It has never worked. No one is clear (XJS forum) on weather it is driven by a varying voltage at the speedometer dial OR a pulsing voltage.

Basically, there is a sensor in the differential, picks up 6 pulses per rotation,,, that signal goes to a module that reads this and translates it for a fuel info sender, the trip computer, the cruise control and YUP, the speedometer. All work but the cruise and the speedometer... If you'd be willing to follow along with me as my guide in this I would be eternally grateful, and happy to supply some supporting documents, take some readings and report, and whatever you ask me for. I WOULD BE super appreciative in that. Jus say'n.

I have some E6000 on the way as my GLUE to deal with the flex board,,, unless you say that it's not the right thing. I was going to put it back together and hope for the BEST with the speedometer,,, go without one if not.
      Attached Files

Comment

You would have to show some pictures of the circuit board for the speedometer for me and other to maybe be able to help you with it I can not make any promises to you that I would be able help you with it I personally have not work on something like this but if it has standard circuits for the functions it might be able reverse engendered to maybe be able to repair it

Some speedometer have some type of Servo motor that sometimes can be repaired but it depends on what went wrong but I would have to see some pictures of the speedometer to know for sure what you have
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-05-2022, 07:22 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Many thanks.
          I will return with both photos of the flex ribbon, my cluster, and as much info (and it is scant) as I can of the electrical diagram of the speedometer circuit and what's involved. It's been a real challenge, especially without much electrical knowledge

Comment

Working...
          X