Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The (now the death of) Dolby DP600 Build (BEYOND COOL BUT PIC HEAVY)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The (now the death of) Dolby DP600 Build (OK, this one is BEYOND COOL)

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    I'll let you be the one to give details, but keep in mind that it's not just one of them...

If you don't mind (delete this if you do), here's a sneak peak of what's coming from my junk pile... I've had this board for over 10 years. $2 Goodwill score, didn't know what it was good for or what use I'd have (but I knew it was worth saving from the scrapper!).
    That's actually going to a side project that was a spinoff of this one....I don't know why I find building stuff like this to be so therapeutic!!

Thanks again for digging that out (seriously)....you're creating another time waster for me!!

Since nobody has figured out what this contraption is, I nicknamed it "Pat" from SNL.... If you don't know who "Pat" is, may God have mercy on your soul!
    Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      If you don't know who "Pat" is, may God have mercy on your soul!
      I stopped watching TV a long time ago, so... perhaps I better go light a candle in the church then.

Comment

That's actually going to a side project that was a spinoff of this one....I don't know why I find building stuff like this to be so therapeutic!!

Thanks again for digging that out (seriously)....you're creating another time waster for me!!
        Ah. Didn't know whether that'd be a separate thread.... although right now, since I have the board, and you have the case (that I traded you this time last year ), it's right now merely an idea.

(Those who don't know: I scored a NOS rackmount PICMG case and traded it to TC thinking it was for an AT server... he finally got to looking at it, figured out what it actually is, and that's when I remembered I had a PICMG backplane in the pile that *should* fit it).

Originally posted by momaka View Post

Since nobody has figured out what this contraption is, I nicknamed it "Pat" from SNL.... If you don't know who "Pat" is, may God have mercy on your soul!
        I stopped watching TV a long time ago, so... perhaps I better go light a candle in the church then.
        Me too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_(Saturday_Night_Live)

Not getting the reference... other than being a sleeper that nobody can figure out what it actually is
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_(Saturday_Night_Live)

Not getting the reference... other than being a sleeper that nobody can figure out what it actually is
          Nobody could ever figure out "Pat's" gender.... Geez, didn't think I'd have to explain that one!

I don't watch TV either....but look at the link and note the year of the Pat skits...
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Nobody could ever figure out "Pat's" gender.... Geez, didn't think I'd have to explain that one!

I don't watch TV either....but look at the link and note the year of the Pat skits...
            I meant how that translates to what you're building...
            sigpic

Comment

I meant how that translates to what you're building...
              If it needs explaining, you missed the joke....
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

I had to get this thing off the bench for a while, I have tons of other things that require my attention.....so this is getting sidelined for a while until things settle down...

...but a little hint of what this might roughly look like:

Still a lot of development to do....I have another idea of some additional internal functions, but this would require a SBC a wee bit stronger than a 233MMX....
                Attached Files
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

....I have another idea of some additional internal functions, but this would require a SBC a wee bit stronger than a 233MMX....
                  I was looking for such a thing....choices are very limited with SBC configurations....and in the process, I found a complete SBC system for less than a used standalone SBC & backplane.... It's a C2D CPU, which will be powerful enough for what I have in mind...although I will attempt to see what C2Q CPU's can run in it. Since this is encased in a really solid industrial case, it will add some more interesting dynamics to this great big time waster! Yes Brethin, this project is still in the black....but not by much, ~$95.00.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

The above-mentioned critter arrived today...and boy was it a grossly understated, yielding quite a few undisclosed gifts! The seller didn't advertise a fraction of the things that were in it....to start, it was advertised as a C2D @ 2.2 (nothing more). Said RAM was included, but didn't say how much. No HDD, and beyond that details were just 'what you see in the pics is what you get'.... Ok, fair enough....I shot him a lowball and he accepted.

It's an Advantech ACP-4000BP-30RE Industrial computer.

This machine doesn't have appeared to ever been comissioned. Perhaps it was just a backup or surplus that some corporation was giving away....and perhaps he had nothing in it, I don't know...but my lowball was VERY low for what these usually go for. It had no proprietary cards in it, just the SBC system & backplane; which is all I really wanted.

There's not a single flake of dust in it anywhere. Not in the fans, not in the filters, not in the PSU's. The top had some scratches on it, looks like shelf wear, and the left side rackmount ear is missing (screws were present).

Still no dust!

Now down to the nitty gritty!!

Redundant PSU's appear to Advantech badged emacs/zippy units. Well built and good caps.

Nice big chunk of copper for a puny C2D....I'll get back to that in a minute.....but look close, not a speck of dust!

Addonics 5.25 HDD bay and CF to SATA adapter, and of course a DVDROM....but here's one of the areas it gets good!

I pulled the drawer out to find an icydock 3.5" to 2.5" bay, that alone was a bonus in itself....but ohh my!!

...and what's inside? You got it, a Samsung SSD!!

Ok, it wasn't a very big one @ 64gb....but hey, nice bonus! SMART check shows 7 POH's on it.

Ok, time to fire it up.....and so much for that C2D @ 2.2!! C2Q @ 2.83/1333 12mb cache! It had 4gb RAM; in 2x 2gb modules....ok, not a huge deal there. It can take up to 8gb.

Super cool lights on the front!

It obviously would not boot, the HDD was blank....no partitions, nothing. It has an XP Embedded COA on it, nothing was on the drive. Either it never got installed or the drive was wiped....but with 7 POH's on the drive, I'm giving odds it was just never installed....so lets throw Win7 on it and check things....

Everything works. Intel embedded Q35 GPU with 256mb dedicated memory (not using system RAM). All USB headers present & working. Extra COM ports (common with industrial equipment). 3x gigabit NIC's, 2 on the SBC and one PCI. A header was even present for onboard audio.

Of course I'm tickled with this deal. All I wanted initially was the SBC and the backplane....I was gonna toss the case....but now what I ended up with has changed that logic.... This beast mixed into "Pat"; my ultimate time-wasting contraption will make it all the more fun! Brethin, I have under $100 in it, the budget is still in the black!

This post created from it!
                    Attached Files
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

I've got an Advantech machine myself. Much smaller, though. UNO-3072LA. Was commissioned from 2009 until 2017 in a hospital lab when it's Crapgate drive died. No surprise there. Commissioned it as a firewall/DHCP server in early 2018 and it's been running ever since.
                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

a lil pity its a q-series chipset because those dont support xeon mods. but the q9550 should still be powerful enough. wonder if its the c0 stepping or e0 stepping.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                          a lil pity its a q-series chipset because those dont support xeon mods. but the q9550 should still be powerful enough. wonder if its the c0 stepping or e0 stepping.
                          It's e0 according to CPU-Z....I haven't taken it apart to get the s-spec number, but I'm sure CPU-Z is giving it to me straight. I too always enjoyed this mod as well, I did a lot of them in the days when the Q9650 was ridiculously expensive but the c0 e5450 was darn near a give-away item....but given what's in it, I'm just going to run with it the way it is, it's plenty powerful enough.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

The above-mentioned critter arrived today...and boy was it a grossly understated, yielding quite a few undisclosed gifts! The seller didn't advertise a fraction of the things that were in it....
                            Better that way than advertise more and get less.

No HDD, and beyond that details were just 'what you see in the pics is what you get'....
                            This is why I still love eBay - sometimes, you just never know what you're going to get. Granted, a "deal" can also go the other way too... but for anyone who's been on there for a long time knows the general in-and-out of how to avoid the stinky listings.

It had no proprietary cards in it, just the SBC system & backplane; which is all I really wanted.
                            Probably a stupid question... but is the SBC that card with the CPU/RAM (and what appears to be PCI + ISA slot) that plugs into the backplane board?

Ok, time to fire it up.....and so much for that C2D @ 2.2!! C2Q @ 2.83/1333 12mb cache!
                            Haha, that's so awesome!

I got my Core 2 Quad CPU on eBay a few years ago in a similar fashion: it was advertised as a "Core Duo E6600" in the title and description. Picture, of course, showed a Q6600. I found the listing completely randomly while looking for a few certain Core 2 Duo CPUs with 1066 FSB max. When I found it, I bookmarked it immediately, as it was starting at $1 bid. IIRC, I got that CPU for $4 total (including S&H), IIRC. They used to sell for around $20 back then, minimum (and rarely less.)

Brethin, I have under $100 in it, the budget is still in the black!
                            Maybe so... but then Curious George could come in any moment now and tell you the time you put into this had already put you in the red. ... as if that matters.
                            (Speaking of whom, haven't CG in a while... wonder where he has been.)
                            Last edited by momaka; 01-09-2021, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Maybe so... but then Curious George could come in any moment now and tell you the time you put into this had already put you in the red. ... as if that matters.
                              (Speaking of whom, haven't CG in a while... wonder where he has been.)
                              The time of us peons isn't that valuable....

That said, I think he's mad at me and shunning the site because I was one of those rebellious anti-maskers...
                              Probably a stupid question... but is the SBC that card with the CPU/RAM (and what appears to be PCI + ISA slot) that plugs into the backplane board?
                              Yes it is. Stands for 'Single Board Computer'. Choices are very limited for configurations....although I did find a dual Westmere one in my huntings....but was way to rich for my blood....

This one would flip for an easy ~$500. Basket case ones (dirty, beat up, pilfered) like it are in the $150~$200 range. That's realistic pricing, not never-selling over-inflated BIN's. Flipping it would defeat the purpose....more fun to make something out of it.
                              but for anyone who's been on there for a long time knows the general in-and-out of how to avoid the stinky listings.
                              I've been doing this since the birth of ebay....I'm good at spotting polished turds, scams, and outright junk listed as 'good'... It's even easier these days. Back in the 90's when there were no pics or very low resolution/low MPX pics, it was a lot more difficult.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

The time of us peons isn't that valuable....
                                Heh, good to know I'm not the only one that thinks so.

I mean, I want to say my time matters... but with world population increasing and thus workforce also increasing, shouldn't labor be getting cheaper instead of getting more expensive? (And resources/materials becoming more expensive due to decreasing?) IDK, today's economic models just don't make sense to me.

That said, I think he's mad at me and shunning the site because I was one of those rebellious anti-maskers...
                                You know, it took me a few days to realize what you meant by this "anti-maskers". Thought it had something to do with politics (well, it does, I guess ) I've gone out of the house maybe 5 times max in the last 3 months (all grocery store trips), so I kind of forgot about the whole mask-wearing thing for a few moments, lol.

Yes it is. Stands for 'Single Board Computer'.
                                Thanks!

So I guess these are the "standard", more or less, in the industrial world.

This one would flip for an easy ~$500. Basket case ones (dirty, beat up, pilfered) like it are in the $150~$200 range. That's realistic pricing, not never-selling over-inflated BIN's.
                                Wow!

There was a big box of socket 775 Pentium 4 boards like that at my old workplace - mostly from decommissioned equipment (but a few NOS too.) If only I knew. Last I checked, most of them were going to get recycled... eventually... but given how things move in that place, they're probably still sitting in a box somewhere in the warehouse. Might text one of my buddies that still works there and let him know. He handles most of the warehouse recycling anyways. Maybe he can make a buck and buy me a beer later.

I'm good at spotting polished turds, scams, and outright junk listed as 'good'... It's even easier these days. Back in the 90's when there were no pics or very low resolution/low MPX pics, it was a lot more difficult.
                                Yeah, I remember those days. I started in the early 2000's. eBay was pretty much the Wild West back then - anything you got was implied to be as-is, and returns were... non-existent, pretty much. Also, scams with money orders and bouncing checks?
                                PayPal-only was definitely a much needed change in the years that followed.

And yeah, large pics nowadays make it very easy to see what you're getting. In fact, most of the broken stuff I've bought and showcased here on BCN was things I could identify had issues from the pictures. On one auction even, there was a video card listed for parts or repair and I was able to identify the missing SMD components!
                                Last edited by momaka; 01-12-2021, 10:46 PM.

Comment

There was a big box of socket 775 Pentium 4 boards like that at my old workplace - mostly from decommissioned equipment (but a few NOS too.) If only I knew. Last I checked, most of them were going to get recycled... eventually... but given how things move in that place, they're probably still sitting in a box somewhere in the warehouse.
                                  I'd be interested in one of them for another experiment I'm working on, unrelated to this thread....get me a pic or two of one!!
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

I'd be interested in one of them for another experiment I'm working on, unrelated to this thread....get me a pic or two of one!!
                                    Got it, will check and get back to ya. I think I might even have saved a backplane from one of these controllers (probably in one of the boxes I put into "deep" storage. ) I still haven't fully sorted through some of the stuff I picked from the dumpster at that place.

Comment

Got it, will check and get back to ya. I think I might even have saved a backplane from one of these controllers (probably in one of the boxes I put into "deep" storage. ) I still haven't fully sorted through some of the stuff I picked from the dumpster at that place.
                                      Definitely interested!! Don't forget!!
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

And even if no backplane, I still have mine that I owe you. You have options, sir.
                                        sigpic

Comment

old lane server controller SBC + backplane

Well, unfortunately I just heard back from my buddy there, and he's been re-assigned to do work in a different city (for the same company) for the last month, so he said he doesn't know when he will be back in the warehouse again to check. But I'll keep reminding him.

The other unfortunate news is that I don't have a stand-alone backplane like I thought.

The good news, however, is that I found a -complete- lane controller in my deep storage area (space under the stairs only accessible from the utility room after moving the washer - yes, I'm such a pack rat, I leave no empty space uninhabited by computer stuff ) after rummaging through many of the boxes of stuff that I had saved from that place's dumpster.

So basically, I found the backplane, SBC, and even accompanying connectors/cables. Was messing with the thing for a bit in the last two days and finally got it to POST. Turns out that backplane wasn't quite 100% plug-n-play with the SBC. A special connector was needed between the SBC and backplane so that PS-ON and PG signals could get properly sent to the PSU (and get 5VSB from PSU to mobo.) I figured out the PS-ON and 5VSB easily with a multimeter and from an old picture I took last year when breaking the whole thing down. But it was the PG that I didn't have connected, which is what held the system from POSTing. But once I got it figured all out, it posted fine.

Anyways, long story short, I put Windows 7 on a test HDD so I could check functionality and stability. All passed. SBC is an LBC9316 socket 775 board with 2x DDR2 RAM slots, and Q965 chipset. This is the page with the specs for it, I think:
                                          http://www.voxtechnologies.com/embed...ct-pci/lbc9316
                                          Basically, it has 2x onboard Gigabit RJ-45 LAN connectors, 2x USB 2.0, and VGA. I also found the expansion brackets for PS/2 K&M, Parallel + Serial, and internal floppy cable (I think!) There are a few more jumpers on the SBC, which I guess are for other stuff, like more USB and HD(?) Audio (at least that's what I assume one of them is for, since Windows 7 did pickup an HD Audio device, and there is a Realtek ALC audio chip of some sort on the board.) CPU is a Pentium 4 651 CPU (Cedar Mill). Not the fastest thing, but it works OK and doesn't actually heat up too much.

Anyways, have a look at the pics and let me know if this is something that will work for your project.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X