This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Scored two free Acers, one is a Aspire 5735 that had a NEC Tokin that would have soon went bad (already had an issue where it would suddenly restart when powered from sleep - fixed that by replacing the NEC with 2x680uF tantalums) and an Aspire 7730ZG that had a broken DC jack.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

I've got an older gentleman that comes by regularly; bringing interesting things in from his hoard....He's an 81yr old retired engineer with a few storage trailers full of weird things.... He's brought a lot of good stuff by in the past...here's a few more specimens.

Some custom-built P4 system built on a P4 @ 2.8GHz. Could be the foundation for a nice retro rig....but the case is in horrible condition....rusted and yellowed. These old storage containers apparently have moisture issues. He told me the power button didn't work....yea, I know what you're thinking....how many times has someone told you a power button was broken when a device wouldn't power up. In all my years and gazillion times I've been told that, it actually was true. Power button was indeed broken. Jumped it, system fired up.

Some FIC motherboard. Amazingly enough, caps all good...this thing was built in the prime of the bad caps era. That GPU is a PNY GeForce FX5500 PCI 128mb. Fan is a little noisy, but otherwise works. Not a bad card for the time.

Here's where this case is a little interesting. It's loaded with fan ports! These are 80mm.

Now the front....4x 80mm fan ports.

Some defunct computer shop.....

Now for this little critter. Not sure what's in it, it powers up/POST's....I didn't go any further with it, the case cover is missing.....but given the style of case, that's going to be an pentium classic or maybe a K6 system from the mid-90's. I wish the case cover were there, it'd have been a fun resto...these are getting to be rather collectible.

Yes, it's a little rusty too.....

He said he'll look for the cover....fingers crossed he finds it.
      Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      I've come to the same conclusion on my dead 70 inch Samsung (same model I think). Not worth 200 to me... Especially if replacing crap with crap.
      I did a lot of research on this model, it was not known to be a problematic set; not even known for bad LED strips...one of the reasons I opted to fix it. Samsung TV's today are quite disappointing....I'd be skeptical of spending that on a Samsung as well.....that said, a good brand 70" is still a solid $700+ today....so if $200 is spent to fix and the set sold for $400, someone got a good deal on the TV and I made $200!
      Attached Files
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        I did a lot of research on this model, it was not known to be a problematic set; not even known for bad LED strips...one of the reasons I opted to fix it. Samsung TV's today are quite disappointing....I'd be skeptical of spending that on a Samsung as well.....that said, a good brand 70" is still a solid $700+ today....so if $200 is spent to fix and the set sold for $400, someone got a good deal on the TV and I made $200!
        Want to make $200 more? I highly doubt I'll get around to fixing mine.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Want to make $200 more? I highly doubt I'll get around to fixing mine.
          If the screen is in good shape, sure. Bring it when you come down next....I have a LED scrolling sign and some smartboards for you. I broke even on that Insignia set. Replaced the strips and rehomed it to a coworker of my wife who didn't have a lot of money...so I gave it to her for what I had in it...the screen had a couple scratches on it, but she didn't care.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

I've got an older gentleman that comes by regularly; bringing interesting things in from his hoard....He's an 81yr old retired engineer with a few storage trailers full of weird things.... He's brought a lot of good stuff by in the past...here's a few more specimens.

Some custom-built P4 system built on a P4 @ 2.8GHz. Could be the foundation for a nice retro rig....but the case is in horrible condition....rusted and yellowed. These old storage containers apparently have moisture issues. He told me the power button didn't work....yea, I know what you're thinking....how many times has someone told you a power button was broken when a device wouldn't power up. In all my years and gazillion times I've been told that, it actually was true. Power button was indeed broken. Jumped it, system fired up.

The best ever case, mighty Chieftec. I have many of those, smaller ones TX-103 with three 5,25" bays, with the internals changed at least ten times. Yours seem to be newer lightweight material.
            Last edited by Xenon-Codex; 10-26-2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Some FIC motherboard. Amazingly enough, caps all good...this thing was built in the prime of the bad caps era. That GPU is a PNY GeForce FX5500 PCI 128mb. Fan is a little noisy, but otherwise works. Not a bad card for the time.
              Why a PCI video card? WTF? This isn't a stinking Dell Dimension 2400, FFS.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                I don't know, I didn't build it....
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

If the screen is in good shape, sure. Bring it when you come down next....I have a LED scrolling sign and some smartboards for you. I broke even on that Insignia set. Replaced the strips and rehomed it to a coworker of my wife who didn't have a lot of money...so I gave it to her for what I had in it...the screen had a couple scratches on it, but she didn't care.
                  Will do, whenever that ends up being. As far as I can tell the screen is good... as is the PSU (ruled out as the problem) and the LEDs (also ruled out). No feet too!

Glad the insignia worked out. As much as people diss on them they're made by Vizio and from what I understand work well once quality LEDs are installed. Knock on wood but my parents's 60" Vizio (free from a coworker, bad LEDs) works great and they use it a lot.
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 10-26-2021, 02:05 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Maybe the AGP slot is toast? Maybe he got a "deal"? Maybe he was stoned?

Although that card in PCI form is probably worth more than in AGP these days due to rarity...
                    sigpic

Comment

The same old fella that brought the above systems dropped a couple old Micropolis 5.25 double/full height HDD's; 50 pin SCSI. No idea what size they are, and I doubt they're good....but they're definitely neat show pieces!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Maybe the AGP slot is toast? Maybe he got a "deal"? Maybe he was stoned?

Although that card in PCI form is probably worth more than in AGP these days due to rarity...
                        I mentioned that Dell model, because it's notorious for not having an AGP slot!
                        And of course, a Celeron-class variant of Pentium 4, was common!
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I mentioned that Dell model, because it's notorious for not having an AGP slot!
                          And of course, a Celeron-class variant of Pentium 4, was common!
                          I've owned two of them, I know. One (my mom's old system, technically still hers) does have a legit P4 (non-HT northwood)... and saw many years of use. It technically still works but has been mothballed at an old property.
                          sigpic

Comment

The same old fella that brought the above systems dropped a couple old Micropolis 5.25 double/full height HDD's; 50 pin SCSI. No idea what size they are, and I doubt they're good....but they're definitely neat show pieces!
                            Yup....they're display pieces.... I powered them up; one did absolutely nothing, and I let the magic smoke out of the other......and then it did nothing. They're 380mb 50-pin SCSI.

Attached Files
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Yup....they're display pieces.... I powered them up; one did absolutely nothing, and I let the magic smoke out of the other......and then it did nothing. They're 380mb 50-pin SCSI.
                              Want an even older 5.25" HDD for the case? I have an ST225 out of an IBM PC (or the like). One of the really old dual cable ones where the drive is literally controlled by the ISA card. I don't have the cables or the card. I think it was in a freebie box along the line; can't remember how I got it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Want an even older 5.25" HDD for the case? I have an ST225 out of an IBM PC (or the like). One of the really old dual cable ones where the drive is literally controlled by the ISA card. I don't have the cables or the card. I think it was in a freebie box along the line; can't remember how I got it.
                                Old MFM HDD? Sure, that will display well.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

This is an actual display case for what vintage tech? Some of that isn't. Like the logitech keyboard
                                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                    This is an actual display case for what vintage tech? Some of that isn't. Like the logitech keyboard
                                    No, that shelf is just empty boxes....I'm out of room in the display cases.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Scored a currently dead Technisat Technivision 26 inch CCFL TV... whatever monkey fiddled with it was dumb enough to replace the 150uF 450v cap... WITH A 22UF/450V CAP! Why????

Anyways, replaced most Samxon GF on the secondary with one KZH and 2x Samxon KM 2200uF 16v, and left two of the original 1000uF GFs on the 5v side of the board, as well as one 220uF 16v GF for which I have no replacement at the moment (and I'm not very sure it will be that stressed anyways, but made 5vSB fail-proof by replacing the 470uF 16v Samxon with a 680uF 10v KZE.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Been a lot of time since I posted here, and my short vacation is almost over, but not before I share my scores.

First score is a DV7-3140sf I got in pieces. Might still need a reflow on the chipset (it doesn't POST sometimes) but otherwise seems to run fine. Has a M320 in it, along with a TSSTCorp TS-LB23A bluray drive, a Radeon HD4650 1GB and currently, a 250GB HDD (though I have 2x320GB drives I could stick inside).

Second score is a ASUS PRO7CSV (K73SV) that had a shattered matte display. Replaced it and it works fine, will give it to my dad. i7-2670QM, Geforce GT540M 1GB. No HDD and RAM as he already has them.

Third score is a Packard Bell Easynote LJ71. This one had no screen and needed a reflow as well. Athlon M300, LG GT31N DVD-RW, a removable Radeon HD4570 512MB, a 320GB Hitachi HDD and a Samsung display.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

More scores from the final day of vacation:

- HP DV7-1123eo that needed a reflow (though it did boot every now and then.)
                                          - Toshiba A300D-18B - unfortunately dead, will be a good donor for my upgraded A300-1QO which is in dire need of a set of speakers
                                          - Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 that I'm 100% sure is dead
                                          - Seagate Barracuda ST3500630AS that might be working as it looks okayish save for some scratches on the casing at best.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X