Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Found a brand new Comp USA PSU

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
    Motors can't be damaged by other devices' poor power factor, that doesn't make sense. A motor has a fixed power factor which is determined by its design and construction, some times have higher PF and some have lower PF. Often, in an industrial system you'll add a power factor correction circuit, consisting of inductors and capacitors, or you'll use a VFD with built in APFC.

Why the concern over PFC? Because it costs electricity suppliers more money to have poor PF loads (which they can't charge extra for)... and they lobbied/appealed to the EU to change this so they could continue using the existing infrastructure which will need upgrading, but they can delay it or roll it out slower than if everyone kept using bridge rectifiers + big caps.

MOST of the energy (>98%) is within the first few kHz.

Your meter is crap if it cannot measure the power usage of devices accurately if they have poor PF. You should consider upgrading it. My £10 eBay device works well.
    1. Those big oil filled transformers can be damaged by the high frequencies.
    2. You beat me to it. Yes, poor power factor leads to problems with current measurement, and the current waveform can become very distorted. Just because of that, measuring the mains voltage with a poorly functioning meter can give you crazy results. As far as I know, its because the meter has a sampling rate at which it samples the voltage, and calculates the RMS value based on those samples. If it has a slow sampling rate, then it is less precise. It may sample just when there is a noise spike on the waveform, and it will change the ultimate reading of the meter. Don't take that word for word, it's only my theory :P

Edit: a pdf from EATON talking about harmonics in the power grid.

Edit 2: Another PDF, from Danfoss, has more diagrams and math
    Last edited by ben7; 07-15-2013, 08:30 AM.
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

tom66: maybe you can read something about harmonic distorsion first, you will learn what the problems are. Obviously by talking about motor PF, which has absolutelly nothing to do with harmonic distorsion, you know very little about it. Like this guy at first http://nationalpower.weebly.com/dama...istortion.html. Sure, he is exaggerating about the cooling of everything, but yes, the problem mainly with motors is there.

Anyway, basic power meters are designed to work with power net frequency (that is 50 or 60 Hz). Even 1 kHz is already 20 times that much. What about 10 kHz… These meters would have to work (=to measure periodically) in (tens of) MHz range to be able to reliable catch all the spikes. They just don't. Now I know mine is not even close to any laboratory equipment so it just cannot measure the shit from PSUs without PFC.

But, power supplies in EU are obliged to have harmonic supression. Yet, tell that to Zalman and their ZMx00-LE PSU line.

EDIT:// ben was faster…and yes, that is very much what I think as well
      Last edited by Behemot; 07-15-2013, 08:30 AM.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by larrymoencurly View Post
        1N5404 diodes and all JEE brand capacitors, most of them swollen. The transformer is the same size as those in 300W Antec SmartPowers.

I had an even older Leadman PSU with Leadman brand capacitors in it.
        Leadman branded caps?! Never knew they even did that, do you have pictures of it?

Comment

I am trying to get the 3.3 volt circuit to work properly. Can anyone tell me the resistor values of R32, R33, and R40 (on the CompUSA Leadman power supply).
          Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

^ I can get you those values on the weekend after next (i.e. Easter weekend). Just send me a PM to remind me. I also have a LP-6100 unit, but it's not where I am right now, hence the delay.

Comment

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I can check later

Comment

Thanks guys, I am waiting.
                Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                  You know it's sad when even the average Deer is better than a Leadman (Although not the one I'm about to post in the gutless hall of shame!)
                  Back then, it looked like Leadman was better than Deer. (before 2003)
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I think I owned almost the exact same Leadman, only it had two ball bearing fans (one outside the case) and slightly larger heatsinks with no holes on top. At least one of the 1uF or 10uF, 16V or less caps showed 50V peak spikes, but I don't know if they decreased after I replaced those caps. The fan controller consisted of a thermistor (50 ohms cold?) in series with the fan and glued in the hole of one of the donut toroid coils.

Comment

R32: 12 Ohms (brown, red, black, gold), 1/8W likely
                      R33: 470 Ohms (yellow, violet, brown, gold), 1/8W likely
                      R40: 47 Ohms (yellow, violet, black, gold), 1/8W likely

If you need any other part numbers, let me know by tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon. It's going to be mid-May the next time I have this PSU with me again, that's why.

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
                      Back then, it looked like Leadman was better than Deer. (before 2003)
                      The LP-6100 was PowMax's only remotely "decent" PSU. Everything else was the same or worse than Deer. In fact, some Deer PSUs weren't so bad at all (the ones that they actually bothered to install parts in). They (Deer) just had a few quirks in their very early ATX designs where they'd always blow a small 50V 47uF cap on the secondary when the open-loop self-oscillating 5VSB decided to go sky-high. Luckily (or thoughtfully), the 5VSB was always regulated with a 7805 regulator in those designs, so it was difficult to damage the motherboard even when the 5VSB went out of control.

Comment

I installed the three resistor values given, and the 3.3 volt rail now comes on without shutting down the power supply. Measures only 3.1 volt. I may not have the right transistor, or there may be some other tweeking needed. But at least the power supply now works again! So what do you expect from an old Leadman???

Comment

Check the TL431 shunt 3.3V rail (or better yet, relace it with another just to rule it out from being bad).

Comment

Working...
                          X